T Nation

Straight Leg Deadlift?

Watch the gif on this link.

My back hurts just watching it, that can’t possibly be good form…can it?

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

I’ve been doing them like this*,

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html

…although I thought they were called Romanian Deadlifts.

*edited cuz I dumb

you messed up the links i think.
Stiff Legs and Romanians aren’t the same.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Watch the gif on this link.

My back hurts just watching it, that can’t possibly be good form…can it?

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

I’ve been doing them like this,

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

…although I thought they were called Romanian Deadlifts.[/quote]

You seem to have posted the same link twice.

I personally don’t like the so-called “stiff leg deadlift” because it’s just far too much lumbar flexion. I think the romanian is probably how all these permutations of the stiff-leg should be performed.

[quote]conorh wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:
Watch the gif on this link.

My back hurts just watching it, that can’t possibly be good form…can it?

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

I’ve been doing them like this,

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

…although I thought they were called Romanian Deadlifts.

You seem to have posted the same link twice.

I personally don’t like the so-called “stiff leg deadlift” because it’s just far too much lumbar flexion. I think the romanian is probably how all these permutations of the stiff-leg should be performed.[/quote]

I botched the links, they should be fixed now.

I always thought these were Romanians,

exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

are they?

I am retarded today.

I really screwed up my first post…TWICE.

Stiff-legged deadlifts and Romanian Deadlifts both have their use in a training program.

The fact is that most people hurt themselves using stiff-legged deadlifts because they try to use too much weight. But it’s an excellent exercise and there is nothing wrong with rounded back movements.

Have you ever tried a max deadlift or had to pick up something very heavy or odd-shaped? I guarantee that you weren’t able to keep your lower back arched perfectly.

Stiff-legged deadlifts = good

Romanian deadlifts = good

People using too much weight or bad form = bad

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Stiff-legged deadlifts and Romanian Deadlifts both have their use in a training program.

The fact is that most people hurt themselves using stiff-legged deadlifts because they try to use too much weight. But it’s an excellent exercise and there is nothing wrong with rounded back movements.

Have you ever tried a max deadlift or had to pick up something very heavy or odd-shaped? I guarantee that you weren’t able to keep your lower back arched perfectly.

Stiff-legged deadlifts = good

Romanian deadlifts = good

People using too much weight or bad form = bad[/quote]

Very wise, grasshopper.

I NEVER round my back, form is more important than weight.

I know it’s important for strongman type training…but this is the bodybuilding forum.

If you are targeting your hamstrings why would you round your back?