T Nation

Story From my Earliest Lifting Days

(Possibly Inspirational)

I want to share a story from my earliest days in the gym.

I was 14 years old and I had just started lifting weights.
At the time I was a heavy pot smoker and I had lots of self esteem issues.
I didn’t know much about lifting or diet, but I used to do sets of 20 reps to get more ‘defined’. I probably weighed somewhere between 100 and 120lb and I was very ectomorph skinny.

I remember that I was doing bicep curls with 15lb dumbells. I was close to the end of my set and my arm was unable to do anymore reps, but I was really trying hard to get another rep. My back was arching like hell and I was failing to curl the 15 pounder in my toothpick of an arm.

Two guys were standing near me, one of them was quite old (~70s). They looked at eachother and might have chuckled and the old guy came up to me.
He started by explaining that he had lots of training experience and that he had trained with Arnold Swartzenegger before. Then the fucker has a talk with me about how “some day your balls will drop - yeah they will actually drop down. Then you can come here, but until then don’t come to the gym”.

Anyway it really bothered me. I don’t remember if I kept going to that gym or if I started going to a different gym as a result (this was at the gym closest to my home).

All I remember is that about 2 years later when I had got a bit older and sorted my life out a bit better I was lifting more than alot of guys in the gym (I wasn’t big compared to most of them, its just that 95% of men train like pussies). I would see that guy in the gym and he just looked like some old guy not lifting very heavy. We never spoke and I don’t know if he recognized me.

The end.

Well have they dropped or not?

This reminds me of the time when I was 15 and my friends threw a rotten pumpkin at some old guy’s mailbox. He thought he was hot shit because he survived so long and fought in World War II.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Well have they dropped or not? [/quote]

It will happen… someday.

Sometimes assholes live long enough to become old men. It is rare but it does happen.

I think it’s pretty common.

Some older idiot the gym disrespect you just because you are a teen and starting out.

You get older and meet him again and you recognize each other. He still suck and you lift a ton more than him.

Happened to me.

Cool story bro!

You beat that fucking 70 year old man next time you see him - you hear?

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
You beat that fucking 70 year old man next time you see him - you hear?[/quote]

^ That and then t-bag him while asking how he likes your descended testicles now.

Or just go about your business and train.

When I worked out at a commercial gym during the day there was a creepy old guy that used to “help” young guys with their form with a lot of touching. I was pretty jealous he never helped me.

All I ever see old guys at the gym do is walk around the locker room naked and use the hand dryer to dry their old man balls.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
All I ever see old guys at the gym do is walk around the locker room naked and use the hand dryer to dry their old man balls. [/quote]
Seems appropriate.

so the story is:

when you were younger you were in a gym fucking around and some old dude was being kind of a dick to you, then you saw him a couple of years later and he didn’t recognise you.

That is so inspirational! OMG. Inspiration is literally oozing out of every orifice in my body. I’m sticky now. Sticky with inspirational ooze.

I assume you’ve already sold the movie rights to this emotional rollercoaster?

Schindler’s List? Who gives a fuck! This is the real story of power of human spirit.

Please, tell us another story! That last one was just so good!

Oh my god I just can’t calm down! I have to know if there’ll be a sequel?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
so the story is:

when you were younger you were in a gym fucking around and some old dude was being kind of a dick to you, then you saw him a couple of years later and he didn’t recognise you.

That is so inspirational! OMG. Inspiration is literally oozing out of every orifice in my body. I’m sticky now. Sticky with inspirational ooze.

Schindler’s List? Who gives a fuck! This is the real story of power of human spirit.

Oh my god I just can’t calm down! I have to know if there’ll be a sequel?[/quote]

Wow. Your little overexcited rant was no better that the OP. In fact, it was worse.
I guess your balls haven’t dropped yet.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
so the story is:

Oh my god I just can’t calm down! I have to know if there’ll be a sequel?[/quote]

Wow. Your little overexcited rant was no better that the OP. In fact, it was worse.
[/quote]

In two years when I see you you’ll be the same and won’t recognise me

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
so the story is:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification, genius. I can hardly wait.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
so the story is:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification, genius. I can hardly wait.
[/quote]

me neither bro

kisskiss

Wow Yogi, I didn’t realize the crime that I had committed when I decided to call the story inspirational.

Anyway, thanks for reading my story :slight_smile:

Old guy was a dick. In a way he helped because he introduced you to something you’ll most likely have to deal with for the rest of your life at a pretty young age. That is dicks who have nothing to offer but hate talk.

If you let them get to you, it can really halt the progress of your life.

So in that way I guess he helped inadvertently?