T Nation

Storing Protein Shakes?

This is probably a really stupid question, but is there anyway to prepare a shake in advance by either putting it in the freezer or fridge??

I think this depends on what’s going into your protein shakes. If portability and quick prep are your concerns, you could always just buy a few shakers, fill them with protein powder, and then just fill them up with water whenever you need to make a shake.

i’ve found that most shakes can last a day or two in the fridge. However any longer than that and they go rancid.

ya some of my freinds make like 3 in the morning, have one, then the other two later in the day. so go for it if its just powder and water. if you put egg or other stuff in it like yogurt then i owuldnt know

[quote]daltron wrote:
This is probably a really stupid question, but is there anyway to prepare a shake in advance by either putting it in the freezer or fridge??[/quote]

I just mixed 4 for tomorrow and do that everyday. Most of us wouldn’t have the time during the day to actually go mix a shake and then drink it.

[quote]Phaedrus wrote:
I think this depends on what’s going into your protein shakes. If portability and quick prep are your concerns, you could always just buy a few shakers, fill them with protein powder, and then just fill them up with water whenever you need to make a shake. [/quote]

This is what I do. It means I can leave it in my car and not have to worry about refrigeration or anything else at a cost of about an extra 15 seconds in prep time.

Yeah, but we have the time to write 45 posts a day in between patients, right?

Welcome back fatty!

I mix em really thick in the blender with ice in the morning. I keep them in a little lunch box with an ice pack. They’re ready to drink and still cold throughout the day as the ice melts a bit.

[quote]Oogie wrote:
Most of us wouldn’t have the time during the day to actually go mix a shake and then drink it.

Yeah, but we have the time to write 45 posts a day in between patients, right?

Welcome back fatty!

[/quote]

Ouch!

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Oogie wrote:
Most of us wouldn’t have the time during the day to actually go mix a shake and then drink it.

Yeah, but we have the time to write 45 posts a day in between patients, right?

Welcome back fatty!

Ouch!

[/quote]

Damn.

Prof, should I get you the flamethrower?

Who would hit a thin child wearing glasses?

[quote]consumer wrote:
i’ve found that most shakes can last a day or two in the fridge. However any longer than that and they go rancid.[/quote]

ick! mine do that after two days in the fridge, one day just out- it also spilled in my car after i forgot about it for a week. talk about RANK. the smell still hasn’t gone away…

[quote]Majin wrote:
Who would hit a thin child wearing glasses?[/quote]

how about flaming him to a crisp and having him for breakfast instead of 10 eggs?

You could always do what Dr. John Berardi said he did when he was in college, mix up protein powder and water in an old gallon milk jug and carry it around with you. I think that was him that said he used to do that in college, carried around the jug and a bag of bagels. Either way it works well!

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
You could always do what Dr. John Berardi said he did when he was in college, mix up protein powder and water in an old gallon milk jug and carry it around with you. I think that was him that said he used to do that in college, carried around the jug and a bag of bagels. Either way it works well![/quote]

Yea…but everyone thought he was weird, and no one would talk to him for days at a time…

Haha I dunno judging by where he is now I would say it was worth it.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Haha I dunno judging by where he is now I would say it was worth it.[/quote]

Yea, he knows his stuff.

[quote]chirag wrote:
Majin wrote:
Who would hit a thin child wearing glasses?

how about flaming him to a crisp and having him for breakfast instead of 10 eggs?

[/quote]

That may be too much food for your massive 60 kg body to handle.