T Nation

Stories of Maleness for Book

I’m searching for anecdotes for a book about what it means to be male. Stories of honour, bravery, work, put-your-head-down-and-do-it sacrifice, and even humour. I’d like a small sampling from Military experience, as well as strength, wisdom, and even fatherhood. They don’t have to be dramatic stories, or even extraordinary ones; instead, they should be stories that leave the male reader clenching his jaw, nodding, and saying “yep.” to himself. Heroism is fine, boldness is fine, even a little violence (for spice) isn’t bad. If it forms a part of the male persona, it’s great.

One example:
In Northern Ontario, there are a lot of gold mines scattered through the Cambrian Shield. They’re poked into hard mountains, surrounded by heavy bush. At the turn of the century, workers would frequently leave their families behind in the city for weeks at a time while they lived among the mosquitoes, dampness, and sweat of the mine.

In some of the deeper mines, a human-cranked elevator lowered the miners, one or two at a time, into the inky blackness below. Strong men would wrestle large iron bars around a gear to work the simple pulley system; sometimes, when available, a donkey would be brought in to do the work. And sometimes, the donkey didn’t like it much either.
Ted was the guy leading the donkey. When the beast tired, Ted WAS the donkey.

Around in a small circle, slowly bending the earth beneath his boots, one revolution at a time, from sunup to sundown. First clockwise to pull the cage up to the surface, and then counterclockwise to lower down miners and equipment.
Ontario isn’t known for its earthquakes. So when a tremor hit the mine, Ted thought it was an explosion somewhere below. Unfortunately, the mule knew better. It bolted. But first, it kicked Ted in the stomach.

With the earth shaking below him, the sky seemingly tearing open above him, and blood pooling within him, Ted did what he was there to do: he cranked. He turned that big gear, pulling out miner after miner in various stages of injury. They may have realized Ted was injured; they may have been too stunned, by the sudden sunlight or the sudden jarring of rock, to appreciate that Ted was dying, round by round.

With no mule in sight, Ted pulled the last miner to safety in a semiconscious state. There was no hope of rescue; there was only the dirty present, the mosquitoes, and the quiet forest to see him fall.

…needs editing, but you get the idea.

add more stories of drunken debauchary , kinfe fights, and strip clubs.

Do a Google search for the Flight 90 jet plane crash into the frozen Potomac River. While the broken plane was slowly sinking into the icy water, one man (who was still locked in his seat in the tail section) kept urging rescuers to save everyone else first. He wanted to be rescued last.

He never made it.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Do a Google search for the Flight 90 jet plane crash into the frozen Potomac River. While the broken plane was slowly sinking into the icy water, one man (who was still locked in his seat in the tail section) kept urging rescuers to save everyone else first. He wanted to be rescued last.
[/quote]

More probably suicide.

[quote]Catalyst Fitness wrote:
I’m searching for anecdotes for a book about what it means to be male.[/quote]

That’s pretty weak, dude. So you signed up here to get ideas to write something pretty much exactly in line with the Atomic Dog, which has already been written and written well?

http://www.elevatedstudios.com/sounds/okterr.wav

Let’s not mention this research mission in the foreword of the book, m’kay?

Look up some domestic abuse cases.

Look up some sexual harassment cases.

Look up some rape cases.

Those are all “male”.

[quote]Mah-lur wrote:

Look up some rape cases.

Those are all “male”.[/quote]

Someone has daddy issues.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Mah-lur wrote:

Look up some rape cases.

Those are all “male”.

Someone has daddy issues.[/quote]

I actually laughed out loud

This man.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Catalyst Fitness wrote:
I’m searching for anecdotes for a book about what it means to be male.

That’s pretty weak, dude. So you signed up here to get ideas to write something pretty much exactly in line with the Atomic Dog, which has already been written and written well?

http://www.elevatedstudios.com/sounds/okterr.wav

Let’s not mention this research mission in the foreword of the book, m’kay?[/quote]

Hahaha. So the gender deserves ONE book? After you’ve read one take on a subject, you don’t read another? Let’s hope there are a thousand books on this topic in the next few years, to balance out the post after yours about abuse, rape, etc.
Atomic Dog is great. I never tire of this subject. One source isn’t enough for me; maybe it is for you. Don’t read, “Mein Kampf,” ok?
Funny .wav file.

Maleness is too broad, you need to narrow it down and focus on something. Compare what it mens to be a Man today to being a Man 100 years ago, and how that perception has changed for better and for worse. Random ‘Maleness’ is too unfocused.