T Nation

Stopping Short of Failure

I’ve started doing sets of 8 - 10 reps, 5 sets usually, and I stop just shy of failure. When I can do those 5 sets with ease, I then nudge up the weight slightly. I work out 4 days on, then one day off. I also do intervals on a bike first thing in the AM about 5 days per week.

Now that I never go to failure anymore, I can’t describe how good I feel. I’m also dropping body fat like crazy AND am getting stronger.

Anyway, I’m sharing this because if anyone is finding their workouts grueling, you might find this method of great benefit. I hope that it helps someone.

Been a while since your last trolling attempt here. How’s life treating ya? :wink:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Been a while since your last trolling attempt here. How’s life treating ya? :wink:
[/quote]

He’s been laying low in an attempt to shake the IRS thugs who keep trying to coerce him into paying for the reconstruction of hurricane-battered vacation homes along the Gulf coast.

I know a group of pretty good powerlifters that always say don’t train to failure

[quote]Itchy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

He’s been laying low in an attempt to shake the IRS thugs who keep trying to coerce him into paying for the reconstruction of hurricane-battered vacation homes along the Gulf coast.[/quote]

lol

whatevs working for you op…thats my advice.

[quote]Anonymas wrote:
I know a group of pretty good powerlifters that always say don’t train to failure

[/quote]

They’re probably suffering from Pussyitis.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
[/quote]

Stopping short of failure…

With this thread, OP didn’t.

ZING!

[quote]G87 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

ZING![/quote]

Only made the one original post. One can stop only what one has started…like how you should now stop trying to be clever.

[quote]G87 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

ZING![/quote]

Only made the one original post. One can stop only what one has started…like how you should now stop trying to be clever.

So you only do 5 total sets per body part?

[quote]Ice9 wrote:
So you only do 5 total sets per body part?[/quote]

No, 15 (roughly). For ex, I’ll do 5 sets of bench press, 4 sets of inclines, then 5 sets of flys (cable). Since I don’t go to failure, I do more volume.

In about 6 weeks, I’ll switch to this, then back:

Day 1:

Barbell back squat, 5 sets of 5 repetitions, rest 90 seconds
Keg clean and press, 5 sets of 5 repetitions, rest 90 seconds
Good mornings, 4 sets of 10 repetitions, rest 60 seconds
Chin-ups, 4 sets of 10 repetitions, rest 60 seconds
Keg bear hug carry, 2 minutes for 2 sets, rest 120 seconds

Day 2:

Bench press, 6, 6, 4, 4, 2, rest 90 seconds
Sandbag snatch, 15 repetitions, rest 60 seconds
Step-ups, 3 sets of 12 each leg, rest 60 seconds
Zercher squats, 4 sets of 6 repetitions, rest 90 seconds
Farmer?s walk, 2 sets of 90 seconds, rest 120 seconds

Day 3:

Deadlift, 3 sets of 6 repetitions, rest 90 seconds
Keg shouldering, 3 sets of 5 repetitions each side, rest 90 seconds
Towel/rope chin-ups, 4 sets of 6 repetitions, rest 90 seconds
Sandbag shoulder get-ups, 3 sets of 6 each side, rest 90 seconds
Carrying medley, 1 set: sandbag Zercher, carry 50 yards; keg shoulder, 50 yards; barbell overhead walk, 50 yards

Training to failure year round is just not for me.

Low(ish) reps to failure consistently doesn’t do me any favours.

[quote]G87 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

ZING![/quote]

very witty haha

[quote]Anonymas wrote:
G87 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

ZING!

very witty haha[/quote]

hairy titty haha

I just did some pull ups to failure. I feel great.