Stopping Cramps?

I am sure that there is an extremely obvious answer out there for my problem, but the search function does not work so well when using my phone to access the site, so here it goes. As of late I have been getting really bad cramps (no its not that time of the month as I am a guy and I would have bigger problems if it was). 

I managed to get a hamstring cramp so bad the I fell out of my chair in my 200+ person chemistry lecture, and the girl next to me had to help me stretch out, not so bad. Anyways, back to topic, I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to help stop the cramping.
Thanks,
Zach

Cramping is generally the result of dehydration or an imbalance of electrolytes. More water and a daily banana (or good multi-vitamin/mineral) will likely help. Do a Google search on “muscle cramp cure” to find more info on the subject than you’ll ever need. Good Luck!

[quote]Petrichor’s article
In athletics, you can also help prevent future muscle cramps by always warming up and stretching well (especially the muscle groups prone to cramping) before workouts and maintaining adequate hydration when exercising. Sports beverages rather than water may help prevent electrolyte imbalances such as low sodium levels (hyponatremia).[/quote]

Today I kept getting foot cramps when I was deadlifting. As in, I would finish the deadlift and then roll around on the ground in pain.

Anybody have an electrolyte/sodium solution that doesn’t include drinking gatorade? Any other “fixes”? I can’t eat bananas because they make me vomit.

without knowing how you are training and what your eating and what you have done in the past. The only thing anybody can even come close to saying is that maybe your not eating enough.

How much gatorade are you drinking? How many bananas and strawberries do you take in? My suggestion for right now would be to up your intake to 2 to 3 more bananas and apples a day, or a 24 oz gatorade. Theres a reason why football players drink it on hot days in the summer during games, contrary to popular belief that it just taste better than water.

are you drinking diet sodas? do you sweat alot.

I eat 5-6 times a day. Don’t know my calorie intake. All I can say is that I don’t get hungry that I am slowly gaining.

I don’t drink gatorade or eat bananas. I’d rather not drink gatorade because I already have a peri-workout drink, but if it will help I can do it.

Bananas make me puke for some reason. I didn’t know apples were helpful when it came to cramps. Thanks for the heads up.

I don’t drink diet sodas, but I do sweat. I mean I sweat a LOT when I’m lifting. I didn’t even think about it because my peri-workout drink is about 20oz that I sip on. Maybe that’s not enough?

You can drink gatoraid some time during the before working out. May not be the same but it might help.