Stop Watch?

No there’s 4 clocks in our weight room with second hands. That and my rest period is determined by more then time itself.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Which do you think will help for getting you stronger: squatting sets of 300 with exactly 1 minute rest, or squatting 400 with as much rest as you need?[/quote]

its all relative really. if you were squatting close to your 1rm, working on heavy singles, or something of the sort, then yes take as much time as needed till you’re ready for the next rep. but if you’re doing HIIT or sets of higher reps on a much smaller scale of weight on a personal level, then watching, or even progressively minimizing your rest periods can be a hidden secret for a plateau breaker in many cases. its worked for me in the past.

I don’t. I rest for as long as I need to be able to get the lift done properly.

That may mean 5 min or 1 min.

I believe it’s been mentioned a couple of times by people on here the difference a stopwatch can make. Think Chris S. had a hammer on it. I have an ironman that I use.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Which do you think will help for getting you stronger: squatting sets of 300 with exactly 1 minute rest, or squatting 400 with as much rest as you need?[/quote]

That’s not what was asked.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
Which do you think will help for getting you stronger: squatting sets of 300 with exactly 1 minute rest, or squatting 400 with as much rest as you need?

That’s not what was asked.[/quote]

Who said I was answering the question? This is a question where, in my opinion, the OP needs to think for himself, not take a consensus of a dozen anonymous forum members. It was in that direction that i was trying to push the thread

[quote]
quiksilver6 wrote:
its all relative really. if you were squatting close to your 1rm, working on heavy singles, or something of the sort, then yes take as much time as needed till you’re ready for the next rep. but if you’re doing HIIT or sets of higher reps on a much smaller scale of weight on a personal level, then watching, or even progressively minimizing your rest periods can be a hidden secret for a plateau breaker in many cases. its worked for me in the past.[/quote]

My question wasnt rhetorical, i can see that you’ve actually used this yourself and done some figuring out on your own. I’m glad it worked for you. For myself, I’ve tried the same thing but didnt have the same success. For MY OWN goals, i find that a little too much rest is better than not-quite-enough. Still tho, fun to change it up occasionally. I had to train before work yesterday and so was up against the clock. timed my rest periods and definitely gave a different ‘feel’ to the session while still getting all my work in. For most tho, i do agree that it’s usually pedantic, but that wasnt my original point

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
quiksilver6 wrote:
its all relative really. if you were squatting close to your 1rm, working on heavy singles, or something of the sort, then yes take as much time as needed till you’re ready for the next rep. but if you’re doing HIIT or sets of higher reps on a much smaller scale of weight on a personal level, then watching, or even progressively minimizing your rest periods can be a hidden secret for a plateau breaker in many cases. its worked for me in the past.

My question wasnt rhetorical, i can see that you’ve actually used this yourself and done some figuring out on your own. I’m glad it worked for you. For myself, I’ve tried the same thing but didnt have the same success. For MY OWN goals, i find that a little too much rest is better than not-quite-enough. Still tho, fun to change it up occasionally. I had to train before work yesterday and so was up against the clock. timed my rest periods and definitely gave a different ‘feel’ to the session while still getting all my work in. For most tho, i do agree that it’s usually pedantic, but that wasnt my original point[/quote]

right on. everyone is different. i’ve messed around quite a bit with rest periods. i actually haven’t gone over 3 minutes before, too scared of not making progress as well haha. maybe when i get into really heavy squats again i’ll give bumbing up the rest periods a bit. right now i’m working up in the 6’s.

I use a heart rate monitor on leg days. I don’t use it to save time.

My coach encourages 90 second rest between sets because we are given roughly 90 minutes of rest between competition lifts at IWF sanctioned meets. Furthermore, much of the team experienced PRs in their Competition lifts after adhering to this 90 second rule over a competition cycle. That being said, no one carries a stop watch, and we only watch the clock to make sure we’re not going over 120 seconds.

I would say go by feel. It’s not a huge deal to be honest.