Stop Messing with My Food!

Omega-3 enriched eggs…sure. Flaxseed fortified bread, okay.

But Omega-3 enriched orange juice? I really don’t see how hard it is to eat actual fish and take capsules to make up the difference.

Some of you might argue that more additional nutrients artificially placed within food is good for society and for millions of unknowingly malnourished people around.

This is what happens when you allow the market and flawed food subsidies regulate the American diet.

Fat people buying fancy, well marketed foods while the rest of us pay higher prices for the fresh stuff that adds muscles to our bones and years to our lives.

[quote]“People just aren’t eating salmon or sardines twice a day,” said Ellie Halevy, director for marketing of Tropicana, which is owned by PepsiCo. “But they will drink two glasses of orange juice, if it has no fishy taste and all the benefits.”

Orange juice laced with anchovies is one example of the latest way major food companies are competing for health-conscious consumers: plugging one food into another and claiming the health benefits of both. Shoppers are offered green tea extracts in their ginger ale, yogurt bacteria in their salsa, and powdered beets in their peanut butter. Market staples like blueberries (high in certain antioxidants), cherries (may have anti-inflammatory benefits) and bananas (when unripe, particularly rich in fiber) are being broken down, shaken up, microencapsulated, and put to work in new ways.

These additives are often called nutraceuticals, broadly defined as ingredients that are derived from food, and that offer health benefits associated with that food. [/quote]

I agree. They know it’s a hot marketing term right now, so they’re going with it.

I’ve seen milk with it now too.

Just on the Omega-3 enrichment. Is this not a good thing?

Otherwise I do understand that most ‘enriched’ foods have no real health benefits.

[quote]Spry wrote:
Just on the Omega-3 enrichment. Is this not a good thing?

Otherwise I do understand that most ‘enriched’ foods have no real health benefits.[/quote]

I’d be curious as to the quality of the enrichment. It’s usually just a marketing tactic, so the lowest quality would suffice to get the addition on the label.

The Omega-3 they add is not very good. Fact it’s crap in the fact that you would have to eat enormous amounts to get the value of one fish oil capsule.

I’ve been seeing everything with o3 in it lately, milk, bread, yoghurt, cheese, juice…basically everything.

The amounts of omega 3 are usually so little its a waste of time, especially considering how much more they generally cost.

Just another way to make money off fat people. I wouldn’t complain…that’s just business, just don’t bother buying it.

Personally I think fruit juice of any variety is death in a cup. That may be a bit of an exageration but it’s full of sugar. People drink large quantities of it thinking they are doing wonderful things for their diet. It’s a pet peeve of mine.

I’m waiting to get my fish oil from Gold Fish crackers. Are they likely to get on that soon?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
I’m waiting to get my fish oil from Gold Fish crackers. Are they likely to get on that soon?[/quote]

Omega-3 enriched chocolate ice-cream…

(If its in milk then we must have this technology!)

I agree. What i want is not enriched shitty food! Quality food doesn’t need to be enriched, it’s nutritious per se…

All they care about is moving product. What is the Omega-3 content per serving and what is the source? I’m guessing it’s next to nothing for an 8oz serving.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Personally I think fruit juice of any variety is death in a cup. That may be a bit of an exageration but it’s full of sugar. People drink large quantities of it thinking they are doing wonderful things for their diet. It’s a pet peeve of mine.

I’m waiting to get my fish oil from Gold Fish crackers. Are they likely to get on that soon?[/quote]

agreed

except for PWO the average joe does not deserve any decent quantity of carbs without an equal or great amount of fiber along with it

i don’t give a damn how many nutrients the juice has because that shit will make your blood sugar go through the roof anyways

Allowing food prices and all that stuff to be run out of the way we have our market set up has to be the biggest reason most of us (us as in…people, chill out) are fat.

Processed, marketing gimmick filled junk is dirt cheap while you are paying 2 dollars a carton for eggs.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

Take that back!!! Orange juice is soooo delicious…

Wait just a bloody minute!

There are crackers made from Gold Fish?!

[quote]Spry wrote:
Wait just a bloody minute!

There are crackers made from Gold Fish?![/quote]

When your gold fish or even betta fish die, you dry them out in the oven. Just turn it on low broil and sprinkle with herbs and seasoning. How cool would that be for a snack at work. Like a bag of chips but dried gold fish.

Can’t you buy dried smelt or something?

[quote]The Bambino wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

I’m waiting to get my fish oil from Gold Fish crackers. Are they likely to get on that soon?

Take that back!!! Orange juice is soooo delicious…
[/quote]

Fresh squeezed is delicious. I’ll give you that one. I just don’t drink juice any more.

I stopped years ago when I was pregnant. Pregnancy seems like a prime time to develop adult on-set diabetes and I cut a lot of sugar from my diet. I kept watching other women get bigger and puffier and bloatier and cut way back on sugar and fat.

Sure, it’s a marketing ploy, and opportunistic, but there are worse things than companies leaning towards a healthier type of product.

You might find this book an interesting read. Among other things, the author examines the development of specialized, high-tech foods and the wane of wholesome natural foods.

http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php

I had mimosas with fresh squeezed orange juice on Sunday morning.

Yummy!

(I only drink juice if it comes mixed with some sort of alcohol).

[quote]Christine wrote:
I had mimosas with fresh squeezed orange juice on Sunday morning.

Yummy!

(I only drink juice if it comes mixed with some sort of alcohol).[/quote]

If it’s grain alcohol, I’m pretty sure that adds all the necessary fibre necessary to offset the sugar.