Stop File-Sharing Or Lose Funding!

[quote]unbending wrote:
I guess taking pictures instead of buying postcards should be made illegal too.
[/quote]

Please explain this analogy as it does not seem to fit this situation.

[quote]

And just for the record, file sharing is not stealing like most make it seem. Its just making a copy and distributing it. Its more like counter-fitting but less criminal.[/quote]

On second thought, don’t bother.

[quote]lixy wrote:
nephorm wrote:
That was the case once, but is no longer. Fair use does not cover the distribution or reproduction of copyrighted material for anything other than individual, personal use.

You mean to tell me that if you borrow a CD from your cousin, that can have the potential of being prosecutable?
[/quote]
Not at all. Why would you think that?

You can loan your CD. You are not allowed to make copies for anything other than personal use, such as a back up.

[quote]
Scary country you live in.[/quote]

Coming from a man that only wants to recognize Islamic law.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
unbending wrote:

[/quote]

There are actually sculptures in public spaces for which the artist or some other entity retains rights to the reproduction of said sculpture’s image. And you can actually get into legal trouble for taking a photograph instead of buying the postcard.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
unbending wrote:

There are actually sculptures in public spaces for which the artist or some other entity retains rights to the reproduction of said sculpture’s image. And you can actually get into legal trouble for taking a photograph instead of buying the postcard.[/quote]

Public displays? I have never heard of such a thing. I could understand in a private museum but having something displayed in public is a different matter.

Ren,

A mixed economy allows powerful corporations to buy and wield influence. They can use law as a club against individuals, and you have no recourse.

What’d you expect?

DRM is the first step in eliminating fair use.

Companies would love nothing more than for you to pay for multiple copies of the same thing.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
There are actually sculptures in public spaces for which the artist or some other entity retains rights to the reproduction of said sculpture’s image. And you can actually get into legal trouble for taking a photograph instead of buying the postcard.[/quote]

Buildings in general, fall into the no photographing category. The architects usually claim ownership.

[quote]Ren wrote:
[/quote]

DRM is doomed to failure.

Right. And that’s exactly why they’re already charging a premium for DRM-free albums. Kinda like your grocery store’s charging you extra for “organic” products you should be entitled to in the first place.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Ren wrote:

DRM is doomed to failure.

Companies would love nothing more than for you to pay for multiple copies of the same thing.

Right. And that’s exactly why they’re already charging a premium for DRM-free albums. Kinda like your grocery store’s charging you extra for “organic” products you should be entitled to in the first place.[/quote]

Entitled? Grow them yourself!

[quote]lixy wrote:
Kinda like your grocery store’s charging you extra for “organic” products you should be entitled to in the first place.[/quote]

That’s because ORGANIC COSTS MORE!

The whole point of pesticides and modifying crops, and chemical fertilizers is to increase yield. The more crops you can grow, the cheaper the unit.

Organic is much more sensitive to things like pests, weather, and they just don’t grow as big or as dense as the chemical ones that are sprayed with all sorts of funky chemicals.

Now I’m not saying the chemical-assisted are good. They suck ass, they have little flavour, and less nutrients. Organic is better, but if you want better then pay up.

[quote]unbending wrote:
Now I’m not saying the chemical-assisted are good. They suck ass, they have little flavour, and less nutrients. Organic is better, but if you want better then pay up.[/quote]

Ok. That wasn’t a good analogy. I should have given an example of a product which price is artificially inflated. (e.g: Red iPod, black MacBook, collector’s editions…)

Hmmm, I stopped file-sharing boat loads of stuff when I got to University, mostly because the university servers block the ports used by torrents and some of the popular p2p software.

Doesn’t bother me none. I’ve discovered the joys of open source software. Its free!

Hmmm, I guess if I can’t download music, I’d really like to be able to listen to it on my computer anyhow, but I don’t have the cash to spend on a CD… hmm, if only there was some kind of radio that streamed over the internet…

-Gendou

[quote]gendou57 wrote:
Hmmm, I stopped file-sharing boat loads of stuff when I got to University, mostly because the university servers block the ports used by torrents and some of the popular p2p software. [/quote]

Plenty of ways to get around that.

More power to you. Long live the penguins!

Well, their days are numbered until you do something about it.

Seriously man, give your representives a ring and make your voice heard. The only way radios are gonna continue to broadcast from the US is if those RIAA bastards revise their newly introduced tariffs. This are crucial and decisive times which will shape the future of the Net for generations to come. Take 5mns and make history.

I know the ways to get around the p2p blockers, but they’re not worth the time. Its funny, I get home, hook my computer up to as much bandwidth as I could want and…

watch videos on youtube, read math blogs, and play genesis games on an emulator…

I’m boring.

And the reference to internet radio was specifically aimed at showing how intensely STUPID it is to shut down p2p AND go after internet radio. Nothing like limiting consumer choice.

-Gendou

[quote]lixy wrote:
unbending wrote:
Now I’m not saying the chemical-assisted are good. They suck ass, they have little flavour, and less nutrients. Organic is better, but if you want better then pay up.

Ok. That wasn’t a good analogy. I should have given an example of a product which price is artificially inflated. (e.g: Red iPod, black MacBook, collector’s editions…)[/quote]

Then don’t buy them. You are not entitled to any of those things.

[/quote]

Actually, everyone is entitled to proper grown food instead of chemical-assisted and pumped up trash.

It just costs more out of your pocket because its harder to produce.

[quote]gendou57 wrote:
Nothing like limiting consumer choice.[/quote]

I hope this backfires big time. You sht down internet radio and p2p at the same time?

Impossible.

There will be a flurry of activity on p2p after shutting down the radio.

[quote]unbending wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Actually, everyone is entitled to proper grown food instead of chemical-assisted and pumped up trash.

It just costs more out of your pocket because its harder to produce.[/quote]

They are merely entitled to have some sort of access to them, not to the products themselves. He must actually purchase the products.

And unless lixy is in prison he has that access.

They are merely entitled to have some sort of access to them, not to the products themselves. He must actually purchase the products.[/quote]

Yup. That’s what I meant.

[quote]
And unless lixy is in prison he has that access.[/quote]

With some of the mind numbing threads he posted, wouldn’t be a stretch.