Stone Throws and Park Rangers

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
A lot of you guys seem to take pride in doing Strongman activities that seem odd to the outsider in public locations when you could probably do them in a more private locale. Why subject yourslef to the judgements of others unnecessarily?[/quote]

Frankly, because I don’t freaking care what they think. If I did, I wouldn’t do GMs, pull-throughs, rotator cuff work in public with girlie weights, or farmer’s walks on the indoor track at my rec center. All that stuff gets stares, and questions, and snickers.

I also wouldn’t be deadlifting 500, or squatting below parallel, and I would be 20lb lighter than I am today b/c I got stuck and plateaued. F*$k’em. If they want to laugh, they’re more than welcome, because I’m laughing right back at them. They don’t have the cajones to do this. It’s public mockery of the pussification of the American “male”.

Also, that lawn is the only location that is easy to get to, close by, and flat enough to use. We can store our stones one the side of the field under the trees and it looks natural enough that nobody moves them or carts them off.

A lot of you guys seem to take pride in doing Strongman activities that seem odd to the outsider in public locations when you could probably do them in a more private locale. Why subject yourslef to the judgements of others unnecessarily?[/quote]

Yeah that makes sense.

Next time I’ll try throwing my rock and keg inside my studio Apt. instead of the large sandy beach 100 paces out my door.

The landlord would love that.

To show off?

Seriously there does not seem to be much space in this world to do anything unless you live on a farm.

the 12 feet of sloping land behind my condo doesnt really make for a great space to do much, let alone anything resembling exercise, and I would much rather not have to do this in an area where ive got 140 lb. dudes jogging, but its really my only option till the city starts building that strongman training center they’ve been talking about, and im not really holding my breath on that one.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Try doing a strongman circuit on in front of a college dorm. You won’t believe the hilarity. A buddy of mine and myself used to bring out a stereo and crank the Megadeth as loud as it would go while we did this circuit:

20-30yards (set cones) each way:

heavy stone carry, down back

stone throw down and back

sled drag (loaded with 200lb+ of rocks) down

sprint back.

Throw up.

Repeat.

We scared off all the sorority girls sunbathing. :slight_smile: I guess loud angry music and cursing psychos hurling rocks isn’t a turn on. The frat boys drinking in lawn chairs across the street didn’t know what to do, whether to yell at us, or pray that we wouldn’t eat them if they stared at us. Not to mention that this particular green patch of field is right by a street intersection. You should have heard the honks.

Good times. Except the nausea. Worth every minute though.[/quote]

Sh*t, I wish I could find a buddy to do this with. All my friends are pansies and either don’t workout or do pansy workouts.

Some of the funny stuff I’ve done…

A friend got me a 10’ length of a telephone pole years ago. Weighted about 135#. I would carry it a block down the street to an empty lot and flip it end over end, back and forth across this lot. One day I’m flipping the telephone pole back toward the edge of the street and I see my neighbor running down the road in my direction. I get to the edge of the street and hear him yelling, “Hold on, We’ll help you, My son is coming with the truck…”

Yep, here is my late 60’s year old neighbor running down the street to give me a hand. Then I see his son backing the truck out of the drive and come roaring my direction.

Now mind you, I just finished a set of flips and reducing my oxygen debt is the most important thing on my mind. Then my smart ass gene kicks in and I tell him how much I really appreciate his offer but could he wait until I finish my work out? Poor guy didn’t realize what kind of nut job had moved in across the street from him… Damn we laughed about that for years.

On a side note, a year or so later my wife finds out the neighbor is cleaning out his old barn and asks if he might have an anvil. Anyhow, my wife gets me a nice 169# anvil for a late X-mas gift. This tough old fart drops it off the next day and before I can figure out where I want it in the garage, he has picked it up zercher style out of the back of his Suburban and sets it gently on the ground in the middle of the garage floor. He was one of those tough old guys that you liked having in the neighborhood, man I miss him since he moved away.

A couple other times I was carrying this piece of drill stem (oil well drilling pipe) around the neighborhood. I had a nice little 1.1 mile route I would walk. Several folks stopped asking if they could help. One time this guy wearing a shirt and tie stopped and asked how far I was going. I could tell he was all serious about helping me toss the drill stem in the back of his truck and taking it wherever. The look on his face was priceless when I told him “about a mile.”

When I am dragging my tire sled up and down the street, I often have one or both of my children sit in it for extra weight. People just smile as they drive by thinking I’m being a good daddy giving my kids a ride…

Those stuck in the rat race will never understand.

Life is good!
Fred

I would love to do this shit one day a week. Like sundays after watching football. But I am in the same boat. No one wants to do this type of stuff. I will have a go at it this sunday alone with some homemade farmers walks and lifting and carrying heavy shit. My boat is still in the backyard and it has a kick ass stereo. Crank it with some Soilwork and Get Strong!!!

[quote]Irish Grip wrote:

A friend got me a 10’ length of a telephone pole years ago. Weighted about 135#. I would carry it a block down the street to an empty lot and flip it end over end, back and forth across this lot. One day I’m flipping the telephone pole back toward the edge of the street and I see my neighbor running down the road in my direction. I get to the edge of the street and hear him yelling, “Hold on, We’ll help you, My son is coming with the truck…”

Yep, here is my late 60’s year old neighbor running down the street to give me a hand. Then I see his son backing the truck out of the drive and come roaring my direction.

Now mind you, I just finished a set of flips and reducing my oxygen debt is the most important thing on my mind. Then my smart ass gene kicks in and I tell him how much I really appreciate his offer but could he wait until I finish my work out? Poor guy didn’t realize what kind of nut job had moved in across the street from him… Damn we laughed about that for years.

On a side note, a year or so later my wife finds out the neighbor is cleaning out his old barn and asks if he might have an anvil. Anyhow, my wife gets me a nice 169# anvil for a late X-mas gift. This tough old fart drops it off the next day and before I can figure out where I want it in the garage, he has picked it up zercher style out of the back of his Suburban and sets it gently on the ground in the middle of the garage floor. He was one of those tough old guys that you liked having in the neighborhood, man I miss him since he moved away.

A couple other times I was carrying this piece of drill stem (oil well drilling pipe) around the neighborhood. I had a nice little 1.1 mile route I would walk. Several folks stopped asking if they could help. One time this guy wearing a shirt and tie stopped and asked how far I was going. I could tell he was all serious about helping me toss the drill stem in the back of his truck and taking it wherever. The look on his face was priceless when I told him “about a mile.”

When I am dragging my tire sled up and down the street, I often have one or both of my children sit in it for extra weight. People just smile as they drive by thinking I’m being a good daddy giving my kids a ride…

Those stuck in the rat race will never understand.

Life is good!
Fred
[/quote]

Man you must live in the friendlest town on earth. Everyone seems so helpful.

Using a tire for a sled is a great idea. I’m actually building a seld of my own right now.

Like jbodzin says, you really must live in a friendly town Irish Grip.

Were I to start flipping a telephone pole in my local park one half of those there would call the police, and the other half would set their dogs on me and those calling the police, and the police if they turned up.

You bet. They will never get it.

[quote]WS4adumbastard wrote:
hey t-nick,did you make your own farmers walk equipment, or buy it online ?[/quote]

Well, its sort of a modified made by me hybrid equipment. I live pretty close to a ghetto run down city called inkster, which has one of the largest junk/scrap yards in the area, and I have found quite a few dandies out of there.

I picked up a large tractor tire there for 30 bucks. Got a wheelbarrel for less than that. Its kinda beat up and rusty, but some wd-40 and elbow grease got it back up and running.

completely agree, its like whenever i see one those people with a look on their face that says " i think that guy might be crazy" i just think about the fact that everyone one you guys would just give me the thumbs up, and if it looked normal to them, then i probably wouldnt be working hard enough.

Alright, listening to Mudvayne and reading this thread makes me want to go outside and push my truck around the work parking lot!

[quote]Irish Grip wrote:

[/quote]

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<gasp, cough>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I wish I could have been there.

And the rest of your post was awesome as well.

[quote]WS4adumbastard wrote:
completely agree, its like whenever i see one those people with a look on their face that says " i think that guy might be crazy" i just think about the fact that everyone one you guys would just give me the thumbs up, and if it looked normal to them, then i probably wouldnt be working hard enough.[/quote]

True. Every time I see someone with that look on their face it makes me want to break out in laughter. It gives me no end of amusement. Unfortunately, if I were to do that I would most likely seriously injure myself.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:

Man you must live in the friendlest town on earth. Everyone seems so helpful.

Using a tire for a sled is a great idea. I’m actually building a seld of my own right now.[/quote]

Well, that’s the midwest for you. Whatever else our problems are, people in the kansas, olkahoma, nebraska area are the nicest people I’ve met anywhere. Even if they think you’re crazy :slight_smile: That’s my favorite thing about living here.

[quote]Irish Grip wrote:

Life is good!
Fred
[/quote]

Yes. Yes it is. Training (esp. outside) always makes me feel alive. There’s a certain joy to do stuff like this that’s worth all the pain you endure and 10 times more.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
trailrash wrote:
I used to get that same reaction when I did deadlifts in a gym I used to workout at…

Buddy 1: What’s that guy doing?

Buddy 2: I don’t know. Looks like he’s just picking up weights and putting them down again.

Buddy 1: That looks hard.

Buddy 2: Yeah, and he’s not even moving it anywhere? Lets go curl.[/quote]

haha… thats damn funny…

BUMP

Because its getting to be perfect weather for some creative GPP sessions.

–JB

Big Bump!

Let us know how it goes!