T Nation

Stomach Vaccuum

Aside from the obvious of repeatedly sucking in and holding, what is the best way to train yourself to pull this off?

[quote]thesteve wrote:
Aside from the obvious of repeatedly sucking in and holding, what is the best way to train yourself to pull this off?[/quote]

Stop eating. Take diuretics and laxitives.

Thats all roids man. Nobody can do that natural.

You really believe that the ability to perform a stomach vacuum is steroids? Because they magically make you do this? Im not talking about “I want to look like Frank Zane”. Im curious as to how one goes about training them self to perform an old fashion BBing pose respectively. There is more to it than “diuretics and steroids” or we’d see Coleman doing this.

I think the Governator answers your question in his book “The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.”

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Thats all roids man. Nobody can do that natural.[/quote]

What?

Was this a joke?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
tveddy wrote:

What?

Was this a joke?[/quote]

I laughed when I read it, so it must be.

Prof X, its like nobody even knows what a stomach vac is anymore.

Pullovers will help here. That and just practicing the pose. A friend of mine told me that someone in the audience asked what pose I was doing when I did this. It’s too bad that people don’t know much about bodybuilding except for the mandatory poses. Mike Mentzer and Steve Reeves could also do this pose well.

I was serious with my last post, by the way. Arnold has a page or two just on improving one’s stomach vacuum in his book. I’d just type it out for you here, but I don’t have the book here at my apartment. You can check it out from your local library, though. Even my tiny town’s library had a copy.

[quote]thesteve wrote:
Prof X, its like nobody even knows what a stomach vac is anymore.[/quote]

If my memory serves me correctly, he already said that somewhere. Stop sucking up to dudes on the internet.

Get a beach ball at least 13’ in diameter and insert a short length of 1/8" plastic hose in the valve. try to blow the thing up in as few breaths as possible. It is basically doing a vaccuum working against the resistance created by the tubing and ball. Keep blowing by contracting the TA and the obliques. The last breath is the most important one. Try to burst the ball.

TNT

[quote]alownage wrote:
thesteve wrote:

If my memory serves me correctly, he already said that somewhere. Stop sucking up to dudes on the internet.[/quote]

Your memory did not serve you correctly. It was TornadoTommy who said that no one in the audience recognized a vacuum pose.

[quote]MrTangerineSpedo wrote:
alownage wrote:
thesteve wrote:

If my memory serves me correctly, he already said that somewhere. Stop sucking up to dudes on the internet.

Your memory did not serve you correctly. It was TornadoTommy who said that no one in the audience recognized a vacuum pose.

[/quote]

I think he is referring to the Favorite Bodybuilding Picture thread where Professor X asks how strange it is that people these days don’t know what a vacuum pose is.

This article should help you with the vacuum pose.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=169ab2

This is my first post. Are all T-Nation posters like you? I doubt my stay here will be long if so. Sorry, next time Ill use the search function to check what each person wrote in past articles before I make comments. I love how you find the idea of “sucking up” to people on the internet to be wrong, but insulting them is ok.

I did the search and found it, thank you.

As far as Arnold’s book, my parents actually bought me it when I was like 15 and just started working out, but I cant for the life of me find it. Thanks anyways though, I appreciate the help.

TA stand for transverse abdominals right?

[quote]thesteve wrote:
TA stand for transverse abdominals right?[/quote]

Yup.

TNT

[quote]Professor X wrote:
tveddy wrote:

What?

Was this a joke?[/quote]

LOL. Relax, X. The anti-big guy bias hasn’t gotten that bad.

I almost asked what TNT stood for…