T Nation

Stomach Pain from Eggs?


#1

Whenever I eat eggs, I will almost undoubtedly be in pain about two hours later - the pain usually lasts between one and three hours and varies in severity depending on the ratio of egg to other food in the meal that I eat - more egg causes more pain. However, this was not always the case. In order to accurately assess the situation, I have to share some background information.

A little over 2 years ago, I started to have very serious stomach pains seemingly out of nowhere. (Before this, eggs never gave me any problems). Every time I ate, I would have very sharp pains for hours. I had an endoscopy and it found no ulceration. I think the cause was actually eating too much garlic - and when I say too much garlic, I'm talking about around 30 cloves of garlic within 2 hours or so... goddamn it was delicious... I've heard that garlic contains an anti-bacterial compound (I haven't verified this, so if anyone knows definitively, that would be great). I'm thinking that I killed most of my intestinal bacteria, and that I couldn't completely break down food and the pain was caused by attempting to absorb incompletely broken down food.

Around this time I was eating a lot of raw eggs. One day, after trying a new medicine and already feeling sick, I threw up all of my raw eggs in a most unpleasant manner (half of it came through my nose). After that, I couldn't eat eggs of any kind (raw, scambled, hard boiled, etc.) without stomach pain.

Recently, however, I've been getting decreasing pain from eggs. I'm wondering whether or not the pain was just some sort of self-induced "protective mechanism" or allergic response that my body was sending me because of the experience with the eggs and medicine. I'm also wondering if that's the case, whether adding eggs slowly back into my diet will cause an eventual disappearance of the pain as my body realizes there's no need to produce the pain response to eggs.

Anyone have any advice or similar experiences?


#2

Eating eggs about 3-4 days in a row will lead to cramps for me.


#3

I have had the same exact thing happen to me, and with not only eggs but with milk as well.

I’ve been eating eggs for the majority of my child life (age10-17), and last year in October I expierenced increasing pain from eating eggs. In the same month I also encountered problems similiar to those with eggs, but with dairy.

My theory is that I developed an intolerance to eggs and dairy. It’s either that, or something is going down with my liver.

I took accutane for 6 months prior, which is toxic to the liver. This is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

Intolerance, or liver enzymne issues.


#4

[quote]razdds2 wrote:
I have had the same exact thing happen to me, and with not only eggs but with milk as well.

I’ve been eating eggs for the majority of my child life (age10-17), and last year in October I expierenced increasing pain from eating eggs. In the same month I also encountered problems similiar to those with eggs, but with dairy.

My theory is that I developed an intolerance to eggs and dairy. It’s either that, or something is going down with my liver.

I took accutane for 6 months prior, which is toxic to the liver. This is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

Intolerance, or liver enzymne issues.[/quote]

That must have been really difficult to develop an intolerance to eggs and dairy simultaneously… Have you tried to eat eggs since you stopped taking accutane?


#5

Kurt:
“A little over 2 years ago, I started to have very serious stomach pains seemingly out of nowhere. (Before this, eggs never gave me any problems). Every time I ate, I would have very sharp pains for hours. I had an endoscopy and it found no ulceration. I think the cause was actually eating too much garlic - and when I say too much garlic, I’m talking about around 30 cloves of garlic within 2 hours or so… goddamn it was delicious… I’ve heard that garlic contains an anti-bacterial compound (I haven’t verified this, so if anyone knows definitively, that would be great). I’m thinking that I killed most of my intestinal bacteria, and that I couldn’t completely break down food and the pain was caused by attempting to absorb incompletely broken down food.”

Um…I’ve heard of people eating a tablespoon of crushed, raw garlic w/ lemon juice but…THIRTY gloves in two hours?? Am I reading that right? How is that even possible…any WHY? lol

Does nobody else in here find that unusual? If it’s for the nutrients…there MUST be a better way. :{ yuck


#6

[quote]KurtMondaugen wrote:
razdds2 wrote:
I have had the same exact thing happen to me, and with not only eggs but with milk as well.

I’ve been eating eggs for the majority of my child life (age10-17), and last year in October I expierenced increasing pain from eating eggs. In the same month I also encountered problems similiar to those with eggs, but with dairy.

My theory is that I developed an intolerance to eggs and dairy. It’s either that, or something is going down with my liver.

I took accutane for 6 months prior, which is toxic to the liver. This is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

Intolerance, or liver enzymne issues.

That must have been really difficult to develop an intolerance to eggs and dairy simultaneously… Have you tried to eat eggs since you stopped taking accutane?[/quote]

I have eaten scrambled eggs on several occasions, but I had to throw it up because if it got past my stomach and into my intestines the pain would not stop for hours on end, versus throwing it up and instant pain relief.

Although I did eat half a hard boiled egg around last week and I got bad gas, but no pain. It wasn’t a large quantity of course, half an egg wouldn’t give me pain, but I’d rather not experiment with more.

I also eat ice cream once a week, but it is mostly sorbet mixed in with a small amount of dairy based ice cream. It doesn’t give me pain, but if I eat too much of the dairy I get an itchting feeling in the back of my throat which is uncomfortable.


#7

[quote]razdds2 wrote:
KurtMondaugen wrote:
razdds2 wrote:
I have had the same exact thing happen to me, and with not only eggs but with milk as well.

I’ve been eating eggs for the majority of my child life (age10-17), and last year in October I expierenced increasing pain from eating eggs. In the same month I also encountered problems similiar to those with eggs, but with dairy.

My theory is that I developed an intolerance to eggs and dairy. It’s either that, or something is going down with my liver.

I took accutane for 6 months prior, which is toxic to the liver. This is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

Intolerance, or liver enzymne issues.

That must have been really difficult to develop an intolerance to eggs and dairy simultaneously… Have you tried to eat eggs since you stopped taking accutane?

I have eaten scrambled eggs on several occasions, but I had to throw it up because if it got past my stomach and into my intestines the pain would not stop for hours on end, versus throwing it up and instant pain relief.

Although I did eat half a hard boiled egg around last week and I got bad gas, but no pain. It wasn’t a large quantity of course, half an egg wouldn’t give me pain, but I’d rather not experiment with more.

I also eat ice cream once a week, but it is mostly sorbet mixed in with a small amount of dairy based ice cream. It doesn’t give me pain, but if I eat too much of the dairy I get an itchting feeling in the back of my throat which is uncomfortable.
[/quote]

Itching in the back of your throat??? You might have an allergy. Ask you doctor to give you a scratch test (they scratch little areas on your back and expose you to small amounts of possible allergens and observe any reaction, like redness).

It’s free in Canada, not sure if that’s the case in the states -prob not. =(