Stomach Fat

A word of advice: Eat.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
<<< But of course, don’t let any of that stop you as you continue on your Crusade to make sure that this site caters to every weekend warrior and SlimFast guzzling newbie who logs in with 14" arms and an itch to get their abs visible by Springbreak.

With any luck, you can get him down to a lean and mean 155-160lbs and every skeleton hanging on a stick in a biology college classroom will be very impressed with the result.[/quote]

Oh shit!!! I just got the tears finally off my cheeks ROFLMAO!!! BTW, yes, as you no doubt already know, this was where I was going with my first post.

Also I really can’t see how anyone who isn’t at the very least in the upper intermediate range with outright advanced probably being better, being well served by the velocity diet.

I can imagine uses for it for some people with a well developed self awareness and overall knowledge of what they’re doing who are well along in their progress. Somewhere along the way though it became liquid liposuction for every premature lean freak who shows up here.

Alright fine, I guess I’ll take the bait…

Irrevelant on two counts. The abdominal stimulus provided by heavy squats, DLs, rows, pullups with a DB between your feet, etc. is in no way comparable to “endless” crunches. And this example you provided completely overlooks nutrition.

Irrelevant to the OP’s case. Besides, visible abs is only short-term thinking, with the actual goal being visible and developed abdominals.

Fine, but incomplete. You keep missing the part about building enough LBM to support lower levels of bodyfat. Just be open-minded and reread the Prof’s posts in this thread.

a solid diet and training program were mentioned in the first post as well, along with the distinction of losing bodyfat and not weight.

and agreed, deadlifts, pullups, squats and the like would be a great addition to the o.p.'s prgram if they’re not already - that was never called into question.

still, the fact remains: you can be muscular as hell, but if you have a nice layer of fat on you, you’ll never have the visible definition that many people strive for.

The guy says he’s working out 5 days a week…trains hard has some body fat that he wants to get rid of. I made a flipp’n suggestion of the V-Diet knowing from personal experience that it helps rid troublesome fat areas.

After reading the great posts from PX…I’ve jumped on his wagon.

Hey skinny f$&K…eat six solid meals per day…make sure you’re getting at least 3200 cals per day of GOOD food…and train harder, and increase cardio…pussy…

There…

[quote]IronRaider wrote:
The guy says he’s working out 5 days a week…trains hard has some body fat that he wants to get rid of. I made a flipp’n suggestion of the V-Diet knowing from personal experience that it helps rid troublesome fat areas.

After reading the great posts from PX…I’ve jumped on his wagon.

Hey skinny f$&K…eat six solid meals per day…make sure you’re getting at least 3200 cals per day of GOOD food…and train harder, and increase cardio…pussy…

There…[/quote]

Perfect.

Better yet, OP, post your pics so we can see just what you really look like and then we can tell you for sure how much more you should eat and how much harder you should workout.

The only thing this guy needs to be told is to eat clean for 6 months, THEN come back to us for the next step in the puzzle after reading the last couple year’s worth of nutrition articles.

None of the rest of your advice matters until the O.P. learns to how to track his results, get with the right kind of lifting program for HIS goals - not yours, and get adequate protein, fat and carbs.

[quote]IronRaider wrote:
<<< After reading the great posts from PX…I’ve jumped on his wagon. >>>[/quote]

I’m sure he’d have no problem saying that it’s not his wagon, it’s simply the way the human organism works.

No offense to the OP, but he IS a noob. 5 years or not. Experience and level of development are determined by self awareness and progress, not simply by being around equipment for a while though that is a component.

I’m gonna just come out and say that I really don’t understand why more young healthy guys nowadays don’t wanna be big and strong.

For every guy that comes here saying that they want to work their way into being a large, imposing cro-magnon specimen of masculinity we have 10 who wanna be underwear models.

Feminization of western civilization.

How about, ON A BODYBUILDING FORUM, someone actually notices this and informs him that gaining some more size and even gaining some muscle on his stomach, along with learning to eat right, would clear up just about everything?
[/quote]

That’s what you’re here for homey. Deeeep breath.

Tomfu wrote:
understood, prof. but if his ultimate goal is to be skinny, why not help the kid be skinny?

Because this isn’t anorexia.com.
[/quote]

I’m dying here from laughter. Maybe that should be the new motto for T-Nation prof.

[quote]Scott aka Rice wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Tomfu wrote:
understood, prof. but if his ultimate goal is to be skinny, why not help the kid be skinny?

I’m dying here from laughter. Maybe that should be the new motto for T-Nation prof.[/quote]

Then you would risk pissing off all the Fight Club/Tyler Durden twink boy wannabe’s.

The next time someone recommends going on the velocity diet to any person who is not an out and out fat boy that needs to lose weight quick, I’m going to go postal on them.

Forget the freaking Velocity Diet. It is an extreme diet that should not be undertaken by any 6’2", 187 lb man. Terrible, terrible advice. I am starting to believe the collective IQ of this site is taking a nosedive. Idiocy, pure idiocy.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Scott aka Rice wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Tomfu wrote:

I’m dying here from laughter. Maybe that should be the new motto for T-Nation prof.

Then you would risk pissing off all the Fight Club/Tyler Durden twink boy wannabe’s. [/quote]

And WTF is wrong with that??? I started out a REALLY scrawny bastard and am now a little on the chubby/semi-jacked side. It’s not hard to guess which I’d rather be, even though I get asked to move furniture all the time.
I get a kick out of just about everything you and the Prof write, please keep posting.

What is this guy’s weight goal for 2007? Maybe his target is a lean 170 lbs. Maybe next year his goal is a lean 180 lbs.

It’s hard to provide advice without knowing this guy’s goals.

[quote]tweaker wrote:
What is this guy’s weight goal for 2007? Maybe his target is a lean 170 lbs. Maybe next year his goal is a lean 180 lbs.

It’s hard to provide advice without knowing this guy’s goals.[/quote]

If his goal is a lean 170 and he is 6’2", he should be posting at menshealth.com, not T-Nation.

[quote]randman wrote:

If his goal is a lean 170 and he is 6’2", he should be posting at menshealth.com, not T-Nation.[/quote]

Assuming a guy can put on average about 10 lbs of muscle a year, if this guy is mainly fat at 187, then he might need to take some steps back before taking steps forward.

I don’t think it makes sense to push him to gain weight if he is mainly skinny fat. He might need to cut for 3 months before starting a weight gain program.

If his goal is just to powerlift, then bf isn’t that big of a deal. But he doesn’t sound like a powerlifter.

Dear Lord. This guy is skinny as all hell and you guys are telling him to try the V-Diet?

Has the IQ of this website fallen that drastically?

At 6’2", 187lbs is SKINNY. He can’t see much of any muscle because he isn’t carrying much of it. How about, ON A BODYBUILDING FORUM, someone actually notices this and informs him that gaining some more size and even gaining some muscle on his stomach, along with learning to eat right, would clear up just about everything?

But no, let’s tell him to drink protein shakes as his only meals because THAT is what a beginner needs to hear.[/quote]

Sometimes I think I am Professor X’s older, 100 pound lighter, white, better looking brother.

Clean up your diet. More protein, more veggies, less junk, train hard and you will improve.

After you had done this re-evaluate where you are and adjust.

[quote]tweaker wrote:
randman wrote:

If his goal is a lean 170 and he is 6’2", he should be posting at menshealth.com, not T-Nation.

Assuming a guy can put on average about 10 lbs of muscle a year, if this guy is mainly fat at 187, then he might need to take some steps back before taking steps forward.

I don’t think it makes sense to push him to gain weight if he is mainly skinny fat. He might need to cut for 3 months before starting a weight gain program.

If his goal is just to powerlift, then bf isn’t that big of a deal. But he doesn’t sound like a powerlifter.[/quote]

The OP has already said his diet is not that good/consistent. I think that at 180 and change, he would put on quite a bit of muscle mass if he would just clean up the diet, and train smarter.

No one is advocating that the guy go on a milk and squats program. But you have seen more than one advocate of a liquid diet.

You tell me which makes more sense?

1. Intelligent nutrition and training
  • or -
  1. Going on an extreme liquid diet?

That’s the rub here - the first rattle out of the box is someone advising that the OP go on the velocity diet, when a little common sense and elbow grease would more than likely solve the problem.

Has the OP just thought about swimming and eating better? Swimming has been shown to make you hungry, so unlike running, you’re not gonna shrink as fast.

A liquid diet at 187 and over 6’ does sound crazy. I am not a fan of liquid diets mainly due to the lack of fiber in the diet. I could never advocate someone being on one for any extended length of time.

Maybe the OP should just post his eating log for a week. That would give us more information to go on. I am not sure what this guy is really eating. Is he drinking 5 beers a day and wondering why he has stomach fat? Is this guy eating pizza every other day? I really don’t know.