T Nation

Stomach Fat

I am 6’2" 187 lbs and am sick of this lower stomach fat ive had for ever. I have played sports all my life and have always had this fat. I work out usually 5 days a week but in general do not eat too healthy. It seems that whatever i do, ive even tried to eat healthy, i still cant get rid of this fat.

For the past couple of years i ve been right around 10-11 % body fat. I lift hard and am athletic looking except for this lower belly fat. I can kinda see my top 4 abs but lower than that ive got nothing. ANY comments or help greatly appreciated!!!

[quote]kmac5855 wrote:
I am 6’2" 187 lbs and am sick of this lower stomach fat ive had for ever. I have played sports all my life and have always had this fat. I work out usually 5 days a week but in general do not eat too healthy. It seems that whatever i do, ive even tried to eat healthy, i still cant get rid of this fat.

For the past couple of years i ve been right around 10-11 % body fat. I lift hard and am athletic looking except for this lower belly fat. I can kinda see my top 4 abs but lower than that ive got nothing. ANY comments or help greatly appreciated!!![/quote]

I would recommend trying the Velocity Diet. Seems to rid the troublesome areas where fat my fight its way to hang on. Just a thought…but it works.

[quote]kmac5855 wrote:
I work out usually 5 days a week but in general do not eat too healthy. It seems that whatever i do, ive even tried to eat healthy, i still cant get rid of this fat.[/quote]

You pretty much said it right there (generally, you do not eat too healthy). It takes a lot of healthy eating and near perfect nutrition and a hard training program with the right amount of weights and conditioning. Remember, consistency is key too.

Also, have you had your blood levels checked by your doctor to make sure everything is in order (thyroid, test levels, etc.)?

If you can “kinda see your top 4 abs” you are nowhere near 10-12% bodyfat.

So it sounds like you have a lot of work to do. Get your nutrition in order. Give us an idea of what you normally eat and how you train.

I don’t wanna rain on anybody,s parade, but doesn’t anyone else think this guy should maybe learn to eat right (and maybe train right) in general before before diving into something like the AD? EDIT: VD not AD.

It seems like a lot of times this is the hardest area to lose fat or the last area for fat to diminish while dieting.

A nice flat stomach is made in the kitchen. I suggest eating better. This will help you meet your goals and feel better too. There is plenty of diet info on this site, just search. Also, in my own opinion, eating foods low in sodium and low in simple carbs has helped with this.

Good luck.

Dear Lord. This guy is skinny as all hell and you guys are telling him to try the V-Diet?

Has the IQ of this website fallen that drastically?

At 6’2", 187lbs is SKINNY. He can’t see much of any muscle because he isn’t carrying much of it. How about, ON A BODYBUILDING FORUM, someone actually notices this and informs him that gaining some more size and even gaining some muscle on his stomach, along with learning to eat right, would clear up just about everything?

But no, let’s tell him to drink protein shakes as his only meals because THAT is what a beginner needs to hear.

understood, prof. but if his ultimate goal is to be skinny, why not help the kid be skinny? it’ll just make dudes like you look even more impressive by comparison. so, no harm done.

to the o.p., if you really are that lean to begin with (roughly 10%) chances are you can get the look you want with as little as four weeks of following a solid diet and making sure your program is in order.

seriously, if that’s all it takes to ulitmately look the way you want, doesn’t sound like much to stress over. just do it.

[quote]Tomfu wrote:
understood, prof. but if his ultimate goal is to be skinny, why not help the kid be skinny? [/quote]

Because this isn’t anorexia.com.

If some guy from the fat gainer site comes here looking to add 300lbs of lard, you will help him get there? If so, what the hell is wrong with you?

This guy doesn’t eat right and doubtfully lifts weights much or with any intensity. Why ignore that and act like it doesn’t matter?

Well, you full out admit that you do not eat to healthy. Kind of sounds like you already know what your problem is.
Though you did mention that even when you have tried eating healthy. Care to explain this? What is eating healthy to you? How long did you keep it up for? 2 days? LOL, j/k.
I am definetly no expert, but I agree with the Prof’s logic. V-diet sounds like a bad idea at your present weight and height. When the Prof says this, I think he is assuming that you DON’T want to be skinnier then your girlfriend and or little sister if you have either.

Right now i am 6 feet almost exactly and I hover around 185 - 190 lbs. If I lost all the fat I have I would look like a retard because of a lack of muscle mass.

Eat lots of food man, and eat mostly healthy, and avoid KFC’s gravy at all costs, :P.
Cyah

I think alot of people need to forget that they ever read about the Velocity Diet, and stop recommending it to new guys…

Christ, talk about overkill…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Tomfu wrote:
understood, prof. but if his ultimate goal is to be skinny, why not help the kid be skinny?

Because this isn’t anorexia.com.

If some guy from the fat gainer site comes here looking to add 300lbs of lard, you will help him get there? If so, what the hell is wrong with you?

This guy doesn’t eat right and doubtfully lifts weights much or with any intensity. Why ignore that and act like it doesn’t matter?
[/quote]
because not everyone on this site has the same goals. because much as this is “bodybuilding’s think tank”, a large majority of the posters are normal folk who want to utilize quality information to help them look the way they want, and that may not necessarily mean gaining an incredible amount of muscle mass or general size.

and while i understand your point, the reality is the o.p. does not weight 300 pounds, nor is he requesting to add an additional 300 pounds.

he’s 6’2" and 187. if he drops 7 pounds of bodyfat and ends up at 6’2" and 180, while that may seem skinny to some, it’s far from anorexic (and far from muscular as well).

there’s plenty of queries on this site regarding running and even a few folks on here who do endurance events like marathons and tris. because you may not participate in that type of activity, or advocate that type of training, does not mean giving advice and feedback to those types of posts negates the value of this site.

He wants to lose belly fat. So he clearly wants to look better with his shirt off.
The prof never recommended or said that he should or wants to be a huge bodybuilder. Just that he needs more muscle…

[quote]Tomfu wrote:
he’s 6’2" and 187. if he drops 7 pounds of bodyfat and ends up at 6’2" and 180, while that may seem skinny to some, it’s far from anorexic (and far from muscular as well).[/quote]

Regardless of anyone’s goals here, any talk of the OP losing weight is just bad advice. In reality, that “lower belly fat” simply won’t disappear until the muscles underneath it are adequately developed.

To the OP - squats, deads, chins, etc. really work well for these muscles. And along the way you can get your nutrition figured out, as everyone has said.

Prof is right, I’ve been 6 foot 2 and 187 at 8% bf, and it wasn’t impressive at all, in fact after 3 days I had to start bulking.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Tomfu wrote:
he’s 6’2" and 187. if he drops 7 pounds of bodyfat and ends up at 6’2" and 180, while that may seem skinny to some, it’s far from anorexic (and far from muscular as well).

Regardless of anyone’s goals here, any talk of the OP losing weight is just bad advice. In reality, that “lower belly fat” simply won’t disappear until the muscles underneath it are adequately developed.
[/quote]

this is simply not true. ever see fat folks at your gym doing endless crunch variations? chances are all the work they do has resulted in some abdominal strength/development, however it’s impossible to see under all that fat, which has not “disappeared” as a result of their efforts.

conversely, it’s possible for folks who are naturally lean to have visible “development” though they may never hit the gym with any authority.

and i was clear to point out that the o.p. should lose body fat, not lose weight.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I think alot of people need to forget that they ever read about the Velocity Diet, and stop recommending it to new guys…

Christ, talk about overkill…[/quote]

Amen.

I have fat fingers. Should I use velocity diet or get shredded diet to slim them down and get them more vascular.

I personally hate the Velocity diet. Then again I’m not a endomorph.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
I think alot of people need to forget that they ever read about the Velocity Diet, and stop recommending it to new guys…

Christ, talk about overkill…

Amen.

[/quote]

I third that.

Let’s also kill the guys acting like this isn’t a bodybuilding website as they inform extremely thin people to lose weight.

[quote]Tomfu wrote:

and i was clear to point out that the o.p. should lose body fat, not lose weight.[/quote]

Thank you, guru. This guy is a newb. Telling someone who does NOT know how to eat or train that they need to “drop body fat” is just like telling them to drop muscle as well.

Why? Because they are more than likely in the dark about what it takes at all to maintain their muscle mass while dieting (which is not such a simple task for someone inexperienced who has never actually built much mass in the first place).

Therefore, telling a newb who is already on the thin side that they need to lose more fat to see abs is completely ridiculous. They will no doubt do like most people and drop an equal amount of muscle and fat tissue meaning that as he loses weight, he becomes even LESS muscular.

But of course, don’t let any of that stop you as you continue on your Crusade to make sure that this site caters to every weekend warrior and SlimFast guzzling newbie who logs in with 14" arms and an itch to get their abs visible by Springbreak.

With any luck, you can get him down to a lean and mean 155-160lbs and every skeleton hanging on a stick in a biology college classroom will be very impressed with the result.