T Nation

Stimulants and PWO Nutrition

Many of us (including myself) use stimulants such as caffeine for a pre-workout edge. Research has proven that caffeine reduces glucose tolerance (and causes mild insulin resistance) for a period of at least 3 hours.

Exercise supposedly allows for a hyper-anabolic musclebuilding state PWO because of enhanced glucose sensitivity.

My question is...... Do pre-workout stimulants such as caffeine negate the enhanced glucose sensitivity caused by exercise and inturn reduce potential muscle growth?

and for many, many other reasons...

don't worry about it man. it would take alot more than one study to make me believe that 200 mg of caffeine before a workout(keeping in mind you only do this 4 times a week for workouts...) are going to do anything strong enough to negate the positives induced by lifting. i believe its more of a chronic issue, and anyways, the amounts that things like this are going to affect you in the long run are nothing to worry about.

Not as much as the effect of what blending air into your postworkout shake does.. or not .. lol

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=676933

You beat me to it!

I was just about to post the same thing.

Some people have way too much time on their hands to worry about minutia.

Well if the caffeine makes you w/o a LOT harder etc.. this IMO will beat down any yet as unproven ability of it to down ramp your insulin sensitivity.

That and the fact you had a better w/o. Boils down to if you need the caffeine or not to get a killer w/o. if you do take it if not dont.