Still Low Energy/Mood on TRT

I have been on trt for about 5 months. My last total t lab result was 528 6 days after my pin date at a dose of 80mg of cypionate (I take this dose 1x weekly or split 2-40mg/week). There are times that I do get a boost in mood/energy, however not NEAR as often as I thought it would be. I nearly always crash after I eat anything (carbs or not) and for the most part eat fairly healthy. I’m wondering if thyroid is a factor (I don’t know much about it) or if it’s depression related or just something else. Does anyone have anything they can help me with here?

Without labs to go on we would be guessing, days after your injection means what? If you’re at 528 ng/dL 3 days after your shot then your trough (trough = TT day before injection) is well below 500 ng/dL which would be on the low side for anyone on TRT. I’ve been on TRT for 6 months and the first 4 months was inconsistent on everything from mood to energy, my trough in the first 4 months was 450 ng/dL. Energy starting increasing some time in the 5th month once my dosage was increased from T-cyp 75mg to 100mg and switched from weekly to twice weekly injections. You have given us virtually nothing to go on other than you’re on 80mg T-cyp weekly for 5 months. If you’re overweight it could take longer to recover do to the extra fat/insulin resistance, which can cause more E2 conversion.

Age?
Weight?
Body fat %?
insulin resistance = diabetes?

I’m 34, 175 lbs and somewhere around 20% bf. I’m not sure about my blood sugar these days, but that’s never been in my history. The test result came 6 days after my shot like I said. I don’t have a blood result from 3 days after. The dr. also is having me get the free t and e2 checked in 2 months, only because I asked for it. He’s been in practice for a long time and I’m sure he’s not up to date with all of the newer findings in the t community.

Post all labs with ranges.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges. a

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

Sorry thought it was 528.6 TT, trust me it should level out and you should start feeling some consistency in mood energy soon. The fact that you’re feeling a boost sometimes sounds to me like your body is still trying to find a new balance, your levels are very close to my trough and a little on the low side. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor in 2 months about an increase, most do very well in the 600-800 range.

So based off the information given, is there anything else besides thyroid and e2 I should check? I’ve also heard things about guys on trt taking Wellbutrin and having good results to fight the symptoms I have. Of course, that won’t change any hormonal imbalances.

Symptoms:

“I nearly always crash after I eat anything”
Eating makes you crash or later on after???
If you feel hungry all of the time and snacking does not satisfy, can be protein hunger, try whey shakes and eggs with breakfast.

Low energy - can be low thyroid function

Mood - can be elevated E2 and/or low thyroid function, wellbutrin can wait, too many low-T guys are put on brain meds, get TRT and thyroid issues addressed first.

Thyroid:

What is it about checking your oral body temperatures that you do not understand. This often is more useful than thyroid labs or guides thyroid labs.

You should also get a clue that you should be discussing your long term intake of iodized salt and/or vitamins listing iodine AND selenium.

Inject twice a week.

Read the stickies, that is more info transfer than can be managed in someone’s thread.

Where did I indicate that I don’t understand how to take my temperature? I suppose you feel it’s necessary to troll someone who is not an expert in the field and is giving you the information they think is useful.
To reiterate, when I crash it is AFTER I eat. The act of eating does not make me crash. It’s during digestion if we want to be technical. That is more of what I’m looking for the cause of, as well as random episodes of depression and being short tempered/angry toward people. What are some of the body mechanisms that are most commonly found to be at fault to correct these issues? I gave the ideas, but don’t know, that’s why I ask.

“Where did I indicate that I don’t understand how to take my temperature? I suppose you feel it’s necessary to troll someone who is not an expert in the field and is giving you the information they think is useful.” “being short tempered/angry toward people.”

Were just trying to help you man. KSman is the most knowledgeable and active person here. KSMan is asking you to collect your oral temperatures in the AM, because it often shows if there is a thyroid problem. You aren’t giving us much to go off of (labs), so oral AM temps is a great start because you are saying your energy is low. Its a big part of the picture, and you simply haven’t done it, I assume. Or you haven’t posted the numbers.

Once your e2 and test are more in balance, hopefully you wont be so quick to anger.