T Nation

Stiff Deadlifts on a platform

Is it right to perform deadlifts on an elevated platform to have a deeper movement ?
I’ve noticed(duh!) that the weight was way easier when performed from the ground. What do you suggest, is it useless to perform it from an elevated platform ?

I always do my SLDLs off a platform.

Ian King, in his lower body program prescribes just this movement, not exclusively, but in rotation with other variations. I personally think ole Ian knows what the hell he is talking about.

They’re not useless, T-Ralph. You’ll get a lot better stretch and larger range of motion.

I agree with Eric I my sldl on a platform also. I feel I get a greater ROM then doing them off the floor.

I’m the only one that disagrees here, I think the extra stretch you get puts your back in too much of a dangerous position. Stiff deads are my favorite exercise too. I also keep the knee slightly bent (just barely though).

I like platform deads and Stiff legged deads…If it does not hurt you, and by hurt I mean injury, then they are a great exercise, I just would not over do them…Good Luck

i do not disagree with you guys. however, i’d like to add that when performing stiff leg deads on a platform if you should lose your grip that bar is coming down right on your toes. i saw an experienced bb do it before.

What about low reps/heavier sets ?

I’m going against the grain here, but I believe you don’t need to do them on a platform. And if done correctly, you will find lighter weights much more painful than most experience. Technically, when doing this exercise, you should start the movement at the hips and push your hips and ass backwards while keeping a slight bend in the knees and keeping your back straight. If you do this correctly, you will find that the bar alone will make your hamstrings scream in agony. Not many people do this exercise correctly. Instead, they get on a platform, put on tons of weight and keep their back rounded and don’t push their hips and ass back. One thing that will help you is if you take some 25lb plates, put them on the floor, and put your toes up on the plates. When doing the exercise right, you would actually come back on your heels.

So try doing them on the ground with a lighter weight. Focus on pushing your hips and ass back as far as possible while keeping your lower back straight and knees slightly bent. Do them slow and controlled, and your hamstrings will curse you for days afterward.

I think that is to much of a strech on the lower back…and if you have ever had back problems you guys know what i mean…from the floor is fine

I have to agree with Nate Dogg, I much prefer keeping my back as straight as possible.

You won’t hurt your toes if you do them off one of the steps that they use in aerobics classes (as I do). With 45-lb. plates, the barbell is elevated high enough above the level of the platform to avoid such a problem.

This is a good question but are we talking about the DEADLIFT or the STRAIGHT LEG DEADLIFT here?

Straight leg deadlifts from a on a platform is one really fast way to f*** up up lumber spine! It is essential that your back remains in as near to a nutral curves as possible, where the load is being supported by the musclulature of your erctor spinea and not the ligamnents instead. Rounding off of the lower back to achieve a greater ROM will most certainly increase your likliehood of suffering a prolapsed invertebral disk which will probably end your training career - period. The only exception to this rule would be for someone who has hypermobility in the hamstrings and can flex forward to the required degree without losing thier neutral sline curve. That back ain’t designed to be loaded up in a forward rounded position. Muscles cannot generate force as readilly in an over stretched position.

My thoughts:

1. If you’re going to stand on an elevated block, make sure that your feet are still lower than the bar as it rests on the ground. I wouldn’t stretch any further than this.

2. Obviously from a higher starting position you’re going to get a greater ROM and stretch. Thus, you’re going to have to sacrifice load from this position versus standing on the ground.

I see this movement as one you’d not want to go “Balls Out” with. It’s excellent for pre-fatigue and injury rehab, however.

As long as you can keep a ridgid back it’s fine. A lot of people (due to their structural makeup) will not be able to perform the exercise properly in this position; in fact for some it is impossible to keep a ridgid back and lower the weight all the way to the floor even while not elevated. The eccentric should be terminated just before the back begins to round.

Joel