Stick With Keto or Up the Carbs?

To the knowledgeable:

I need to lose 15-25 lbs. I been going the ketogenic way for the past 3 days. I tried the AD before and it worked but now I’m playing soccer 2-4 times per week plus lifting. I also like doing sprints here and there, maybe twice a week if my body allows it.

Now the question is, should I continue with a ketogenic diet or should I up the carbs. Perhaps I was thinking of some options and wanted opinions.

OPTION 1: Ketogenic with carb up every 6th day

Option 2: Carb cycling- On days where I play soccer eat carbs for breakfast, post workout( if i lift that day of course) and post soccer. Would be looking at around 150g-250g on days like this one.

Option 3: a better suggestion

My question with option 2. On days where I need to keep my carbs low, should protein be higher or should I up my fat to a ketogenic diet amount.

To wrap it up: Ketogenic or carb cycling?

If carb cycling: Should I go high protein or high fat on low carb days?

Any insight or opinions are greatly appreciated.

If you are doing lots of glycogen-depleting acitivities, as you are saying, then Option 1 with a carb-up every 4-7 days may be okay to maintain performance. Carb up every 4-5 days if you are truly training intensely with volume everyday (from your lifting, soccer, running). If not, do the standard AD protocol for cutting and carb up once a week.

Or since you have already tried the AD, try a TKD (basically Option 2) this time. Just keep carbs for after workouts. When you don’t work out, you don’t eat carbs. Replace with fats.

Why are you changing your diet anyways? If the AD worked, stick with it for a while.

Oh and by the way, I used the AD for cutting and bulking with good results.

I’m using a TKD for bulking with good results.

I haven’t used a TKD for cutting, so you may want to wait till someone else responds or just use the search button up top.

Option 2 will most likely enable you to still function during soccer games. When you don’t play, you can basically follow the keto approach that day. THe once a week carb up will alos help, but depending on your starting leanness, you may want to carb up every other week instead (if you’re already pretty lean, you can have a bigger, more frequent carb up)

S

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:
If you are doing lots of glycogen-depleting acitivities, as you are saying, then Option 1 with a carb-up every 4-7 days may be okay to maintain performance. Carb up every 4-5 days if you are truly training intensely with volume everyday (from your lifting, soccer, running). If not, do the standard AD protocol for cutting and carb up once a week.

Or since you have already tried the AD, try a TKD (basically Option 2) this time. Just keep carbs for after workouts. When you don’t work out, you don’t eat carbs. Replace with fats.

Why are you changing your diet anyways? If the AD worked, stick with it for a while.[/quote]

Yes the AD worked but I find my self getting tired of the food. At first it was awesome because I always kept my self away from high fat foods but not it gets boring…quick. I’m also playing soccer now and would like to perform on the field plus coming off a ketogenic diet is a pain in the ass. As you can see I don’t really want to go low carb but I’ll do which ever one works best for my goal which is to perform while on the field and in the gym and still lose the fat.

Thanks for the responses so far.