Steve's First Log

Oh and I’m starting 531 on Monday I think, with a focus on the conditioning side, while I know I should be getting bigger/stronger but my boxing kind of puts a stop to that.

Going to do (I think)

Mobility
531 lift
2x accessory
Conditioning, strength or circuit based.

Got to build me a sled!

Todays looked like this all weights in kg

Forgot to do the DTC complex

Deadlifts
60 x5
100 x5
140 x5
155x3
170x1
100x7

Rack pulls (it’s acctually with a bar with a massive camber that the gym bought because they were sick of the oly bar being dropped in the rack (don’t know why, never seen anyone rack pull in there.
All 6 reps

Front squats
All 3 reps

Bench suppersetted with the high low iso row machine, after each set on the bench I did 8-12 reps with about 40-50 each hand

60x5
75x5
90x3
100x1

Narrow bench
60x8x4

Dead stop DB rows
42.5 x12
42.5x6

Chest supported rear delt flyes
3x15 @4kg a side, nice and slow with a good contraction

Every time I walk out the gym even to g for a wee I have to walk past the dip and leg raise station so I do some of each on the way out I did 3x10 leg raises.
First set my partner pushed my legs down
Second set I held a 6kg DB in my feet
Third set my partner wacked me in the belly

Did 6 dips between each set.

In a cool note my partner was a total noob only a few weeks ago and today he benches 60kg for 3 or 4 reps, he’s doubled his bench since he started training a few weeks ago and he’s put on nearly half a stone.

Awesome lifts, man. I’m with you on building a sled, I need that too. Love that kind of conditioning - it emulates hard work, which I love, and ditched the endless cardio sessions, which I friggin’ hate with a vengeance.

Cheers abivilance.

I’ve a car wheel with the tire on that I’ve looped a couple of karate belts through I add my KB and a sand bad on for sprints, but I want to get some eccentric less upper body work done too/upper body heavy conditioning work

Yeah, I still put my road work in during the in season for boxing but off season I try and keep up the anaerobic that I normally do but drop the longer distance because it’s dull!

Speaking of which, might go some sprints in a bit, my lower back is sore today too!

I’m gonna look at building a sled out of an old car tyre like in the article posted here on T-Nation a couple of days ago when my wife goes on holiday for 14 days soon. Will give me a bit more time to tinker with silly stuff like that :stuck_out_tongue: I’m really looking forward to that kind of conditioning work, never tried it before.

I’d offer photo’s of mine but it’s litterally a wheel with a tyre tied to a weightlifting belt.
Ordered all the stuff to build a slosh pipe today too.

My dad just saw a pic of a prowler and reckons he could build one in a day is I got the materials, very pleased wit that!

Holy shit, have him build me one too. I don’t have any tools to work with metal, else I might give it a try. Would be awesome to have one of those!

You live in the states yeah? That may be a world record breaking prowler push to deliver it!

Anyway training:

Was meant to be a rest day but I’m trying to do something on rest days to up volume without making myself sore, I’m young and dumb so recon I’ll get away with it.

Weighted vest skipping lots off (inspired by our very on gregron)

Non weighted vest skipping more off

A drill I pinched from a couple of big name coaches and made my own, basically you kneel down, then spring up and sprint in the opposite direction as quick as possible. I did 10 sprints but only went like 7 yards because I was in my garden

DTC complex with a 1inch york barbell (you’ve all owned one!) instead of a rest o did 50 lateral jumps over the bar, took 15 seconds and restarted. Did 3 laps of that.

Snatch lock out walks up and down my garden x3

1 hand barbell snatch 1 each hand just ti see if I could.

You’ll notice I haven’t put weights, that’s because I haven’t got a clue, I don’t know what the bar weighs and it was just with the weight it had on when I found it, I could go check but I really don’t care.

Just saw the DTC has humbled another poster. Haha

Did in deed!

Question for the count himself, when your doing the high pull variations do you pull from the hang or ground? I’ve been pulling from a hang till now.

Thanks for popping by count.

[quote]MAsteve wrote:
You live in the states yeah? That may be a world record breaking prowler push to deliver it!

[/quote]

Hehe, nah, I live in Norway :smiley: Now there’s a world record breaking prowler push to get it delivered. Some submarine shit going on right there :stuck_out_tongue:

Take some pictures of your stuff man, I’m curious. And if your dad builds that prowler, document it all!

Quick half hour between essays today.
All weights in kg

Power snatch 3 reps @
Bar

Circus dumbbell press
40kg 3 reps each arm
40kg 2 rep each arm
28kg 10 reps each arm

Dips 5 reps and push ups 10 reps x 3

Reverse pec dec 6x56 and push ups x 10 reps

Extra quick and back to the library to write an essay on Gibson?s theory of perception, yeah as dull as it sounds!

I’ve put myself in a strongman type comp, very timid compared to what most of the guys in this site are used too, but looks tough too me!. It?s aimed at athletes from different sports who don?t compete in strongman to have a go. It?s done in weight classes though and I have no idea what weight i’m in, i?m concerned about being in the heavyweights and getting pwned but there’s only light middle and heavy.

Anyway one of the events is circus DB (52kg for the heavyweights!) so I had a little go today. Not happy with the number of reps and that was lighter than the middle and heavyweight bells (42 and 52)

My shoulders have came on in leaps and bounds recently so hopefully if I ad this as a regular finisher I?ll improve. I?m hopping for at least a 200kg dead lift on the day too.

you definitelyshould be pulling from the hang. Use a good amount of leg drive to help the Range of Motion for the snatch grip pulls too.

Cheers CT I thought so.

Was going to do some sprints or whatever today but when I got home I has to shift just over a ton of timber for my dad from the back garden to the front/I couldn’t be arsed, I’m surprised at how tired in was after that lifting sesh earlier.

[quote]MAsteve wrote:
Weighted vest skipping lots off (inspired by our very on gregron)

Non weighted vest skipping more off
[/quote]

you wore the weight vest and you were jumping rope? nice man :slight_smile:

I should do that tomorrow

Gives a pretty good burn in the calves, just make sure you aren’t locking the knees.

It pretty funny how uncoordinated your feet get too.

Another quick one between essays. Really enjoyed training today.
Gym was the busiest I’ve ever seen it Couple of the regulars where moaning. 10 whole people where in!

8 June 2011

While waiting for the squat rack
Leverage leg press

3 25kg plates a side x5
4 25 plates a side x5
5 25 plates a side 1 and a fail (PR)
4 x 25 per side x5

Squats all 5 reps
Bar
60x10

Seated over head press (BB)
Bar x5
30x5
40x5
45x5
50x6 (PR)
40x7 (rep PR)

Machine lat raise
1 set of 6

Didn’t like these so I went to normal DB lat raises

3x10 DB lat raises super setter with 1 arm shrug 10kg/35 kg

Seated low cable row
Stackx15 (PR)
Stack x12
Stack x 16 (PR)

Chest supported reverse fly
3x12 7kg (PR)

Pleased with that. Sounds daft getting a PR on rear delts but they’ve been a bit of a focus of mine as it’s practically removed all shoulder pain/keeping things even with chads 100 push ups a day.

Didn’t do anything for my chest as it means I’ve something to do between essays tomorrow. Did lots for shoulders almost looks like a body part split.

Bitta chest today.

Training is looking a lot like a split at the min just with revision etc it means i can hit the gym more often (good stress release) and i’m not in there for like an hour at a time.

9/june/2011

Training at the council gym today. All weights in KG and DB’s given the weight of each hand.

low incline DB press (5 reps)
36x3 (PR)

Plyo push ups with two 25 plates under each hand. (clap press up landing on the plates then again landing on the floor) 3x10

dumbell floor press (5 reps)
36x2

cable push downs a bunch x some.

also, cheaky little phyique photo. i’m training for boxing so apearance isnt what i’m aiming for but whatever

[photo]33124[/photo]

makes me look like i’ve got a belly which is odd, i’m not fight lean but i’ve still visible abbs etc, must just be angle/light.

^^ lol @ “makes me look like I’ve got a belly” everyone has a belly! hahah

What you need though is a tan I almost couldnt see you cause you were blending in with the wall :stuck_out_tongue: