Steve Vai New CD

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Like.

I’m gonna have to plug into the Carvin Legacy tonight…[/quote]

Heh heh! WAKE THE KIDS!

When my son was playing the bass, he used to find the note that had the proper frequency to rattle every window in our house.[/quote]

I’m still searching for ‘the brown note’.

Though the new age Zen mystique thing is getting old. Of course it seemed a bit cooler when I was 17.

My favorite.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:
Zepplin rules~

that is all~[/quote]

It’s the “…Valhalla I am cominnnggggg…” line, isn’t it?

lol[/quote]

no~

I mean yes,

I mean not really~

I mean…

[quote]want2getlean wrote:
i tried the legacy on two different occasions, and in my hands, it sounded like absolute SHIT
just not the amp for me, even though i love steve. i’m an orange guy[/quote]

This is a subject of great discussion in my ‘gear whore’ circles.

Marshall and Fender guys can’t seem to dial in Carvins because of the bass frequency. In almost all cases, they find it flubby, say versus a JCM900. I always hear the same thing with the old X100B’s. I have this old XV, same circuit as the X-b series and it’s a monster.

I think it’s the speakers. V30’s or the original Carvin British make the difference.

I also think it’s a feel thing, too. My friend says the same thing about the Carvin, but when I play, he’s like “that sounds great!!!”. He takes my guitar or plugs his in and he hates it.

But still my all-time favorite guitar song must be this…with 1:44 to 1:53 being the part I could rewind and play about 79 times before I even got tired of hearing it.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

i tried the legacy on two different occasions, and in my hands, it sounded like absolute SHIT

Marshall and Fender guys can’t seem to dial in Carvins because of the bass frequency. In almost all cases, they find it flubby, say versus a JCM900. I always hear the same thing with the old X100B’s. I have this old XV, same circuit as the X-b series and it’s a monster.

I think it’s the speakers. V30’s or the original Carvin British make the difference.

I also think it’s a feel thing, too. My friend says the same thing about the Carvin, but when I play, he’s like “that sounds great!!!”. He takes my guitar or plugs his in and he hates it.[/quote]

yup, alot of picking guitar gear definitely goes into how it comes alive in your own hands

what sounds good in some people’s hands sounds terrible in mine, and vice versa

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

I also think it’s a feel thing, too. My friend says the same thing about the Carvin, but when I play, he’s like “that sounds great!!!”. He takes my guitar or plugs his in and he hates it.[/quote]
I’ve found that the problem with guitar players that can’t get a great tone out of the Carvin’s is that they just can’t handle/understand the amazing flexability of the tone controls. Fender/Marshall only guys seem to be more “plug and play”.
That being said, I own 5 Marshalls (DSL50, TSL60,DSL40(el84),JTM60,JMP50(78mkii!) and love them for what they are, but my V3 is far more expressive, responsive and generally useful. Carvin=toolbox full of Snap-on. Marshall=1 trick pony.

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

I’ve found that the problem with guitar players that can’t get a great tone out of the Carvin’s is that they just can’t handle/understand the amazing flexability of the tone controls. Fender/Marshall only guys seem to be more “plug and play”.
That being said, I own 5 Marshalls (DSL50, TSL60,DSL40(el84),JTM60,JMP50(78mkii!) and love them for what they are, but my V3 is far more expressive, responsive and generally useful. Carvin=toolbox full of Snap-on. Marshall=1 trick pony.
[/quote]

OK, salivating over the JMP50 :wink:

I <3 Carvin.

I work-on/restore/rebuild tube amps and I always hate to give the Carvins back :wink:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

I <3 Carvin.

I work-on/restore/rebuild tube amps and I always hate to give the Carvins back ;)[/quote]
I traded a Jubilee for the JMP50. It was modded, so I had it restored to original, then modded to my specs. My amp guy was great. Then I moved! Can I PM you with a potential project?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

I <3 Carvin.

I work-on/restore/rebuild tube amps and I always hate to give the Carvins back ;)[/quote]
I traded a Jubilee for the JMP50. It was modded, so I had it restored to original, then modded to my specs. My amp guy was great. Then I moved! Can I PM you with a potential project?
[/quote]

Sure!