T Nation

Steve Nash's MVP Workout

Here is Steve Nash’s so-called ‘MVP workout’. Imagine if instead of the soccer coach he had run into CT or Kelley Bagett or someone of that caliber at the beginning of his career. That would have been something extraordinary.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/mvpworkout_071107.html

Tricep Kickbacks - Check
Bosu Ball - Check
Arm Isloation Exercises done on 1 leg - Check
“Core” exercises - Check

Time spent doing highly specific, skilled sports like soccer and skateboarding as cross-training - Check

Using long peroids of cardio to improve an athletes lack of explosive power - Check

A bodypart split without a leg day - Check

No use of barbells - Check

This is THE worst workout I have ever seen. Doing Bench, Curls, Tricep Pushdowns, Lat-Pulldown, Leg Press, and Shrugs (the average AAmerican workout) is 100 times better than this stuff.

Yah… maybe if he listen to T-Nation he’d have been a multiple MVP.

Oh wait, shit.

sometimes people just have it.

its good thing basketball is like 99% skill, especially for pg.

Oh no…

[quote]Hanley wrote:

Oh wait, shit.[/quote]

Ohh god not again. (I am guessing you are thinking the same thing, even though we have the opposite opinion.)

[quote]Phatshady912 wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Oh wait, shit.

Ohh god not again. (I am guessing you are thinking the same thing, even though we have the opposite opinion.)[/quote]

Well hypothetical someone who LOOKED like steve nash, T nation would have said something like this. “You need to EAT EAT EAT and lift heavy” Now if steve nash did this he would have got slow and would have messed up his game. He basically relies on his skill and a bit of his quickness.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Phatshady912 wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Oh wait, shit.

Ohh god not again. (I am guessing you are thinking the same thing, even though we have the opposite opinion.)

Well hypothetical someone who LOOKED like steve nash, T nation would have said something like this. “You need to EAT EAT EAT and lift heavy” Now if steve nash did this he would have got slow and would have messed up his game. He basically relies on his skill and a bit of his quickness. [/quote]

Ohh come on are you telling me that all people who lift heavy get slower and screw up their movement patterns? I really doubt that something like WS4SB would have made Nash a worse athlete.

Kevin Durant can’t bench 185. Basketball is definitely NOT a sport where T-Nation style training would help people very much.

Basketball is pretty much a skill sport but don’t go too far to say T-Nation style WOULDN’T help. Look at lebron james for instance arguably one of top 5 in the NBA right now and he is definitely very strong and explosive. Also players like Kobe Bryant, do lots of heavy squatting-or at least thats what I remember seeing in his training commercial-

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
Kevin Durant can’t bench 185. Basketball is definitely NOT a sport where T-Nation style training would help people very much.[/quote]

I agree with this. It’s an endurance-speed sport, not a strength sport. You don’t need to bench 315 or squat 500 to break ankles.

But I have to say that standing on a bosu ball on one leg is a waste of time. If he wants to become explosive like what is said in the article, he’s better off doing power cleans.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:

But I have to say that standing on a bosu ball on one leg is a waste of time. If he wants to become explosive like what is said in the article, he’s better off doing power cleans.[/quote]

The whole world would be better off doing power cleans.
Nash is obviously great, and even if his routine seems lame, who’s to say another program would have made him a better basketball player? Maybe it’s partly the mental side, he trains this way because he likes it and he can stay in great CV shape doing stuff like this. Doc

Maybe he made this up. Like all the boxers who say I do 500000 situps and pushups a day to get strong. Just don’t want to give there routine away. If not either it is all technique and balance and strength doesn’t matter for his style of play or he is like one of those guys who is varsity in 7th grade living on the couch eating sugar packets x10000.

Steve Nash plays professional basketball and has won the MVP, twice. The people questioning his routine, post on T-Nation.com

Kobe put on 25lbs one off-season and it hurt his game considerably, his words. He lost the extra weight and felt better physically on the court the following year.

Anybody questioning their methods is beyond ridiculous.

I’m not suggesting that they need to gain weight or do a T-Nation style workout, but there are definately workouts better than what Mr. Nash is doing. A basketball player should be doing alot of compound movements and olympic lifts:

Cleans
Snatch
Clean and Jerk
Split Jerk
Power Cleans
Push Press
Bench Press / Speed Bench Press
Deadlifts
Squats
Depth Jumps
Squat Jumps
Single leg bounds
Medicine ball throws

I think we can all agree that workouts using those types of exercises would be much more beneficial than standing on the bosu ball or whatever it’s called doing curls.

Beau

I have to beleive like someone else mentioned, Nash didn’t want to give away everything and probably just gave away a small part of it. Moving on, Nash is an 11 year NBA veteran who appears to have a very solid base of strength, upper and lower. I know i’ve read that he could squat 400 pounds somewhere. thats more than 2x his body weight. i don’t think him improving his strength with full movements would really benefit him.

He probably knows that he needs to focus on other stuff so he does with things like balance, coordination etc. The article also mentions he has a back condition which probably prevents him from doing a lot of stuff. This is a guy who has gotten considerably faster, quicker and stronger since his rookie year. I’m sure he’s done his fair share of squats, benches and sprints.

Nash has back problems (see T-Nation http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1444035 ).

Perhaps that’s affected his routine (assuming the reported routine is accurate).

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sure basketball is a skill sport but there are alot of players that are in the League mainly for their explosiveness and athleticism.

Do people here honestly think that he’s better off with some soccer coach than if he was training with some of the T-Nation coaches?

Imagine steve nash doing this…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ErlJyO1NQo