T Nation

Steroids, Recovery, and Fullbody Workout ?s

Quick question guys, doing fully body workouts ususally it takes 3 or more days to recover. When on steroids how much do you think youd be able to knockdown the recovery time, also would training to frequently cause any problems?

Ive read alot in this forum , but i would like to know first hand from you guys, being you all seem very intellegent and in the know. And no i do not intend to do steroids, im jus curious :slightly_smiling:

It cant be answered really - its kinda like "how long is a piece of string..?"

Generally, increased capacity for recovery is shown in the increasing of load(strength increases), volume(energy increases) and intensity(motivation increases) - all increasing workload... but still training with the same frequency... or not!

With natural training after 10+ years it becomes a very exact science.. IMO - one has to make sure to adjust one or two variables of intensity at a time only, to reduce overtraining (when one has trained for a long time seriously he tends to train closer to his maximum than a novice, work and rest is totally planned - Periodisation) and to monitor results. They come painfully slow.

AAS can allow one to be a little more haphazard in training, not sloppy - just increasing load and volume, or load, volume and frequency as the body can now handle it. It is no excuse to slack off on disciplined eating, training and rest - but the increase in recovery allows more room for work that wasnt there before.

Overtraining is overhyped, but it is definitely a realistic eventuality while training assisted or otherwise.

I hope this begins to answer your query.. :wink:

Brook

If you want to go by trends of what lifters actually do -- and there's a tendency that what they actually do, they do because it's what seems to work for them -- by no means do I see a trend of AAS-using lifters training bodyparts with higher frequency than prior to their androgen use.

Instead if there is a trend, it seems to me that it is towards LONGER time between training bodyparts, e.g. with once per week per bodypart being I think a little more common among users than non-users. It's certainly not the case that everyone has made modification in that direction, but I'm pretty sure more have gone that direction than the other.

As Brook suggests above, or pretty much along the same lines anyway, I would suggest working with other variables and especially not throwing that in there at the same time as others. Why not keep that the same for now, while adjusting perhaps total volume or another parameter.

Ty, i think i understand.

Ty, also.

I hadnt really considered what you mentioned Bill in relation to not really increasing frequency primarily, but as i think of it now, that is very astute.

Frequency of training isn't really a variable that gets changed due to AAS - not primarily at least - rather just due to the cycle in his/her training plan or periodisation.
It is much more common to increase time in the gym with further sets, exercises and TUT not to mention tons of extra load - as you said.

To the OP: I think it is mostly due to the fact that when one is running AAS cycles the increase in capacity/workload isnt one that happens exactly 34.7 days into the cycle so it can be planned for in an exact way..

one just goes to the gym like any normal Wednesday and feels in a particularly energetic, strong and damn motivated mood. This begins to happen to more sessions than not when on gear, and is your lovely recovery in action :wink:

There is a lot to be said for careful, controlled, disciplined control and execution of exercise programs - BUT as one gets more and more experienced the feel is much more valuable. You feel when to add or remove a day, you feel when to jump a weight.. you feel when to use intensity techniques etc..

You feel your recovery on a by-workout basis.
This is further logged in your workout diary so you can then manage it over time.

So as you see, your question of "..how much do you think youd be able to knockdown the recovery time.."

is kind of redundant, unless you are wanting to produce a study detailing the increased recuperation capacity of athletes etc when using AAS - but you wouldnt be asking us for the answer if you were!

Why are you interested if you are never going to use, i mean - isnt the information kind of redundant to your training endeavours?

:wink:

I dont intend to use as of right now, but maybe when im a little older. I'm 21 right now, and from wat ive read the endroctrine(no idea how to spell) system isnt really fully developed at my age.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'full body workouts"?

Do you mean doing isolation exercises for ALL of your bodyparts at once...

or

...doing full body movements?

I tend to do a lot of movements that are more "full body" ie, power clean, snatch grip deadlift, snatches, squats, deadlifts, etc - and I've never figured out a good way to sequence them so I get 3 days rest between different bodyparts.

I suppose I kind of divide them up into quad dominant v. hip dominant ...upper body pushing v. upper body pulling, (I don't know where the hell the snatch fits into that scheme!?!?!) ...but even then there is necessarily a lot of overlap so I just go pretty much by how I feel, but typically end up doing full body, to one extent or another, 4 or 5 days a week.

Seems to be working OK for me, joints get a little tore up, but that is probabaly a function of being 52 years old as much as anything else.