Steroids & Elevated Blood Pressure

My bp now is 151/73. Could this be due to steroids?
Thanks, guys.

According to the charts I have.

140 Systolic pressure is borderline. 150 is when Dr’s will prescribe meds. Low spectrum is 95 and Dr’s will prescribe meds at 90.

Diastolic pressure is right where it should be at 73. 90 is high and at 95 you should be on meds. Low is 60 and at 55 you will require meds to get the pressure higher.

Although this is a chart. And you should always seek the attention of a Dr when you are thinking your blood pressure is in question just to be safe.

The chart is here take a look for yourself.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/blood-pressure.htm

First off where did you get your BP taken? Was it taken more than once throughout the day? Do you have oversized arms?

Technically, according to US guidelines you are in systolic pre-hypertension, but I am assuming you got your BP done at one of those grocery store arm testers in which case I would not worry at all. Esp if you have larger arms

Postal,
When was the last time you donated blood? If I don’t give a pint every other month, my BP starts getting high from all the extra red blood cells my T shots generate.
Just a thought…

Here’s a study that may be relevant:

Methods: Doppler echocardiography and cycle ergometry including measurements of blood pressure at rest and during exercise were undertaken in 32 bodybuilders or powerlifters, including 15 athletes who had not been taking AAS for at least 12 months (ex-users) and 17 currently abusing AAS (users), as well as in 15 anabolic-free weightlifters.

Results: Systolic blood pressure was higher in users (mean (SD) 140 (10) mm Hg) than in ex-users (130 (5) mm Hg) (p < 0.05) or weightlifters (125 (10) mm Hg; p < 0.001). Left ventricular muscle mass related to fat-free body mass and the ratio of mean left ventricular wall thickness to internal diameter were not significantly higher in users (3.32 (0.48) g/kg and 42.1 (4.4)%) than in ex-users (3.16 (0.53) g/kg and 40.3 (3.8)%), but were lower in weightlifters (2.43 (0.26) g/kg and 36.5 (4.0)%; p < 0.001).

Left ventricular wall thickness related to fat-free body mass was also lower in weightlifters, but did not differ between users and ex-users. Left ventricular wall thickness was correlated with a point score estimating AAS abuse in users (r = 0.49, p < 0.05). In all groups, systolic left ventricular function was within the normal range. The maximum late transmitral Doppler flow velocity (Amax) was higher in users (61 (12) cm/s) and ex-users (60 (12) cm/s) than in weightlifters (50 (9) cm/s; p < 0.05 and p = 0.054).

Conclusions: Several years after discontinuation of anabolic steroid abuse, strength athletes still show a slight concentric left ventricular hypertrophy in comparison with AAS-free strength athletes.

To answer questions:

How much crdio do you do?

Not much. I will do more, since strengthing my heart would probably be wise. But I’m not sure that cardio has much impact on blood pressure…a stronger heart will just generate more pressure, maybe.

First off where did you get your BP taken?
Was it taken more than once throughout the
day? Do you have oversized arms?

I bought an inexpensive but reliable and brand-name blood pressure tester recently. The results are consistent, though they vary some with the time of day. (mornings are lowest)

If you are currently using any stimulants or “fat burners”, BP would be up.