T Nation

Steroids Are Not Drugs

Ok,

Yes steroids are drugs but with no hard effects on the body - if done properly. Most people don’t loose weight on them and become walking skeletons, nor do they shit their pants in public, nor are they begging on the streets etc…

They are not hard drugs. That’s it.

So when I say to keep it cute and cuddly I am referring to people that seem to think it’s cool to mention hard drugs in a steroid discussion. No it’s not cool and it makes the public think twice about legalizing them.

That’s it. I am merely suggesting a comestic change to the forums in the sense that posters refrain from divulging their other drug habits.

It’s for the good of the community at large.

funmetal

[quote]funmetal wrote:
Ok,

Yes steroids are drugs but with no hard effects on the body - if done properly. Most people don’t loose weight on them and become walking skeletons, nor do they shit their pants in public, nor are they begging on the streets etc…

They are not hard drugs. That’s it.

So when I say to keep it cute and cuddly I am referring to people that seem to think it’s cool to mention hard drugs in a steroid discussion. No it’s not cool and it makes the public think twice about legalizing them.

That’s it. I am merely suggesting a comestic change to the forums in the sense that posters refrain from divulging their other drug habits.

It’s for the good of the community at large.

funmetal[/quote]

I am interested in what your level of knowledge of AAS is, have you syudied chemistry, biology or studied any sepcific topic related to AAS use?

[quote]streamline wrote:
They may not make you feel good “I’ll take your word on that”. They do however make you feel powerful and make you powerful. They also have a multitude of side effects that can fuck you up real good. That makes them a DRUG!![/quote]

I’d really like to see a documented listing of this “multitude of side effects that can fuck you up real good”.

AAS - like anything else - can be harmful if abused. But there is no such thing as a 'multitude of side effects".

Please stop feeding the myth machine.

ANY drug, taken irresponsibly, may cause side effects.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
streamline wrote:
They may not make you feel good “I’ll take your word on that”. They do however make you feel powerful and make you powerful. They also have a multitude of side effects that can fuck you up real good. That makes them a DRUG!!

I’d really like to see a documented listing of this “multitude of side effects that can fuck you up real good”.

AAS - like anything else - can be harmful if abused. But there is no such thing as a 'multitude of side effects".

Please stop feeding the myth machine. [/quote]

They killed my father.

Simpler more digestible message:

My SUGGESTION is this:

Don’t mention coke, amfetamine etc in steroid discussions as they are hard drugs that fuck people’s lives.

Mentioning them makes a connection between steroids and these hard drugs that doesn’t exist.

Making that connection makes it harder for the general populace to accept steroids.

Therefore I suggest refraining from mentioning hard drugs in steroid discussions.

funmetal

so to mention two things in the same discussion makes them connected?

I would like to mention funmetal and shirt lifting

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
so to mention two things in the same discussion makes them connected?

I would like to mention funmetal and shirt lifting[/quote]

You may if you want. Your freedom.

And yes stating two things or emotions at the same time or closely connected is what marketing is all about. The guy who writes about his drug use and then continues to write about steroids is slowly but surely creating such a connection.

As stupid as it may seem having naked or half naked women in T-Nation articles makes the connection between sex and lifting. Which my not be the case at all. It is just a marketing trick that is quite innocent, just like your shirt lifting comment.

Maybe I’m too into the whole image of steroids thing but I would like them to have a wholesome, healthy, athletic, wise and responsible image.

funmetal

unfortunately thats never going to happen, in the UK steroids are not illegal to posess or use, but they still have a very bad image.

I appreciate your sentiments with this thread but it’s just not really coming accross very well I’m afraid.

Also a lot of hardcore steroid users will also use amphetamines and cocaine to assist with their training so they can be spoken about at the same time, as there are many connections to be made between illicit substances.

[quote]funmetal wrote:

funmetal[/quote]

The public isnt thinking twice abotu legalizing them. they arent even thinking once about it. not gonna happen, certainly not any time soon.

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
unfortunately thats never going to happen, in the UK steroids are not illegal to posess or use, but they still have a very bad image.

I appreciate your sentiments with this thread but it’s just not really coming accross very well I’m afraid.

[/quote]

I’m confusing sometimes. Too much in my head. Working on that :slight_smile:

[quote]
Also a lot of hardcore steroid users will also use amphetamines and cocaine to assist with their training so they can be spoken about at the same time, as there are many connections to be made between illicit substances.[/quote]

Yeah I’ve seen ONE example of amphetamine use in professionals by a Finnish lifter that did that an he fucked his kidneys.

I have to say I prefer a measly Spike to go with my training even when juice assisted.

I don’t think one can keep up a hard drug “cycle” as it quickly becomes a necessity for basic survival. I don’t think a BBer doing his training for 10 years can afford to be on these hard substances for more than 3 weeks in a stretch. But I’m speculating…

I imagine not sleeping for example would be detrimental to muscle growth. Unless you took amphetamine while training and then got off. But don’t amphetamines have long half lives?

funmetal

not really, but then even if they do taken early during the day effects on sleep would not be a problem, or if they were I guess someone who is willing to use AAS and amps would be happy to take sleeping pills too!

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

They killed my father.[/quote]

Is this really true? Or an inside joke that I don’t get?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

They killed my father.

Is this really true? Or an inside joke that I don’t get?
[/quote]

I would guess ol Zap is having a go at us, lol.
If not I aplogize Zaparoo.

I think you might just be taking this whole thing a tad too far Funmetal. Give the public some small amount of credit here. I rarely see the kinds of comments you're alluding to in the AAS forum, where people talk about doing a rail, or whatnot, and then continue talking about their cycle. I've recently seen a noob who talked of taking a puff on some weed in the am., and then doing an IM shot an hour or so later. Big deal. Let's not get too caught up in all of that. And if it was to the degree you imply, who's to say that an overwhelming majority of "onlookers" would automatically assume or equate that one individual with the entire comminity of AAS users?

Certainly you have a point, but to a degree much less in my opinion than what you're talking about. I can't even remember ever seeing anyone talk about railing up or using anything "heavier" than a toke of some maryjane in those threads. If the members do notice something like that, we respond by calling out the person for what they are, and/or reflecting on by letting other people know the person is a fucking asshat and shouldn't be listened to.

In closing, yes of course they’re fucking drugs. Yes of course they can be used very safely if you’re not an idiot and know what you’re doing, and yes, if you don’t know what you’re doing, you can and probably will fuck yourself up in the short or long term, depending on how stupid and ignorant you are.

The "effects"of properly used AAS, do not have any mind altering effects like the narcotics mentioned do though. This is fact. Roid rage is overblown media hype, and happens to a few individuals who almost always have a loose wire up there to begin with, and only exasperate it by running gear in an unintelligent manner or without enough experience to know wtf they’re doing, hence the mental issue. If you use them correctly and in a less is more fashion, you will have no such problems, mental or physical.

ToneBone

I was doing some Wiki browsing and found out that a certain presidential candidate and senator from Arizona was pushing for DHEA’s classification as steroid.

[quote]lixy wrote:
I was doing some Wiki browsing and found out that a certain presidential candidate and senator from Arizona was pushing for DHEA’s classification as steroid.[/quote]

It is that evil Republican, check out you tube and all the Republicans on the subject of medical Marijuana. Especially Mitt Romney

haha wtf steroids are definitely drugs and should be treated VERY seriously. If you don’t run them perfectly and when your ready you can fuck yourself up and ruin your life. There can always be unwanted complications with them also they are not the safest thing in the world like some steroid users might have you think.

Marijuana is not much of a drug, its a lot less dangerous then alcohol thats for sure. Marijuana is on a much different level of how safe it is also, you can’t kill yourself with them like you possibly could with steroids-you could very well od on them if your fucking idiot-

Also steroids might not be physically addictive but if you notice most users use for as long as they can. The feeling they have while on them, and the results are addictive.

All drugs if used safely and in much moderation are pretty safe, but thats never the case.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
streamline wrote:
They may not make you feel good “I’ll take your word on that”. They do however make you feel powerful and make you powerful. They also have a multitude of side effects that can fuck you up real good. That makes them a DRUG!!

Please stop feeding the myth machine. [/quote]

Tumors, heart problems, consequences of roid rage, scar causing acne, male pattern boldness(for women), shrunken testies.

I don’t have a problem with steroid use. If thats what it takes to reach your goals go for it. However steroids are what they are, so know what you’re doing before you do, or you may be very sorry.

As for documentation, look it up yourself I already did years ago. That’s why I don’t use them.

Streamline, I like your new profile pic. It kinda has a “Cape Fear” Robert De Niro feel to it.

[quote]streamline wrote:
Tumors, heart problems, consequences of roid rage, scar causing acne, male pattern boldness(for women), shrunken testies.[/quote]

Bullshit on this for the most part. I asked for documented listing - you gave me the standard media sponsored bullshit - especially the tumors/heart problems/and the ever popular catch-all roid rage.

I don’t disagree with this - but they do not have all the side effects you listed.

I’m not the one spouting the bullshit. That would be you - the same guy who is a mouth piece for the fuckwads at CNN, and Congress.

It is people like you who have sat on their hands and allowed Congress to make steroids Class III controlled substances even when the FDA and the DEA, as well as numerous medical experts testified in front of congress that steroids were no where near the danger to society that mind altering drugs are.

I don’t have any problems with the FDA overseeing steroids, but it should not be a federal crime to possess non-habit forming, non-mind altering drugs.