T Nation

Steroids and the Brain

To those who have used steroids, I’d like to know how particular steroids have affected your mood, your libido, your confidence. Seems at least as important as the amount of lean body mass it can pack on.

For me, it’s always been positive, better mood, sure a little more aggressive, but not an idiot. I always notice I drive faster without really paying attention to it. I’ve never experienced “roid rage” or depression either on or coming off. But, most definitely a better overall sense of well being.

One time I was “on” and this valet at the club lost the keys to my PT Cruiser and I started to “rage” so I beat his head in with a tire iron.

EDIT: That was from MTV’s true life on steroids just in case anyone thought that was real lol…

Most of the time everything’s hunky dory. Something doesn’t go right, seems to be magnified.

^^^ agreed it seems like things that would normally be minor problems get a little blown out of proportion but otherwise its not bad at all

If someone is already an idiot, they’ll probably become more of an idiot while on anabolic steroids. If you research them first you’ll know which ones will cause what effects. I have tendencies toward a lot of emotional issues, and I’ve kept them all in chec even on steroids.

I’ve been taking the SSRI Lexapro off and on for the past 3 years. I’m definitely much more calm on it. Whether you not the gear had an effect on this is debateable though.

I will say this. On Lexapro and gear I’m more calm than off both

My worst incidences of ‘rage’ seem to come when I am behind the wheel. I usually beep the horn or give the finger every few weeks, but while I’m on it tends to happen every few days.

The worst of it happens as my body is trying to stabilize the large amounts of endogenous Test that I am taking. This seemed to happen between weeks 3 and 5.

I definitely feel more confident or of greater Alpha Male status in the gym. Most of the time I check my ego at the door, but while I’m on part of it seems to follow me in; not in a bad way though. You know that feeling when you hold your head high and puff your chest out, that is what I get compared to acting submissive with your head hung low.

I feel less lethargic while studying, perhaps do to quicker recovery. I also feel more confident when I have to give speeches as well. I catch fewer colds. Also, I can wake up earlier in the morning and not feel so tired throughout the day. Libido feels great as well.

All in all, steroids brings me back a few years to when I was in puberty. Although, with the increased function of my frontal lobe I have a greater ability to regulate my tendencies and impulses this time around.

[quote]ZZuluZ wrote:
To those who have used steroids, I’d like to know how particular steroids have affected your mood, your libido, your confidence. Seems at least as important as the amount of lean body mass it can pack on. [/quote]

If you convert/aromatize T to too much E, you can have high T and low libido. Everyone is different and some do not need E levels above “normal range” to suffer from the effects of E on libido, mood and energy. Its all about balance, nothing simple. As you get older, SHBG increases to lower FT. And SHBG levels are not going to go back to where they were after the cycle. So this might be part of the reason that higher amounts of gear are required over time. E levels are the greatest driver of increased SHBG.

[quote]KSman wrote:
And SHBG levels are not going to go back to where they were after the cycle.
[/quote]

EVER?

[quote]eclypse wrote:
KSman wrote:
And SHBG levels are not going to go back to where they were after the cycle.

EVER?[/quote]

As there is a tendency for SHBG to keep increasing as one gets older and hormone status in general gets worse. One does not want to ratchet up that one way [aging] tendency. Perhaps when one is young and normal, SHBG could recover. But the increase with age cannot be ignored. And even if that problem did not apply to all, one would not know if they were an exception or not without rolling the dice. There has not been any research done on men who cycle gear I expect. I have seen ‘publications’ that talk about how women on birth control pills (BC) have SHBG increases that do not recover after BC is discontinued and some believe that the increase of SHBG while on BC s the reason that many women loose their libido. And it it also thought that many women do not recover their libido after stopping BC. The increase in SHBG is thought to reduce the testosterone in women which then reduces libido. And some women do not recover libido after child birth and after breast feeding. The high hormones of pregnancy might be shifting up SHBG and creating those effects.

Consistent with these thoughts is the fact that guys on serous gear end up needing more gear in their cycles as time goes by. I don’t recall seeing any posts of blood work for guys taking major gear that report SHBG levels. I would be safe to say that those high hormone levels will not be reducing SHBG. The only alternative is up.

I’m a much nicer person overall when I’m on. I really don’t get upset at all. The agression is here, but I use it for extra motivation in the gym or at work. I like the extra drive, the good feelings and having something that all the other guys don’t have.

I haven’t really had any bad effects, except the libido increase. This can be trouble. We wouldn’t want people having too much sex now…

I have only done a few diffent types but here is what i thought of the ones i did:

• primo/OT - this didn’t do much of anything mentally as far as confidence or agression but did shut down my libido and made me a little lathargic.

• test/masteron/primo - this was a lot better. libido was good, aggression was up, felt faster and much stronger on the field so my game was way better. My only complaint was that it had to end.

I think overall gear is kinda like alcohol, it won’t make you an asshole if you aren’t one but it will make an even bigger asshole if you are one. know what i mean.

I think the guys that “rage” are the guys that are hanging on by a thread to begin with and the gear is just like putting a power keg under a lit fuse.

FG