steroids and mind altering effects...

There was recently a post that died off a couple days ago but I came across a piece of information when I was browsing through a muscular development magazine. I wanted to post a fresh topic to make sure everyone saw this. Scientists at a major university did a lab test involving rats and testosterone injections. They found that rats that were given the high dosages of test had obvious decreased amounts of serotonin(the brains “feel good” substance that helps cope with stress, depression, anger etc). The rats were then given prozac which boosted their serotonin levels up to normal(this doesn’t really have too much to do with the juice part). But there you have it gentlemen–scientific research at a major university showing steroid’s mind altering abilities.

that sucks if your a rat.

As P-dog put it, the human brain is infinitely more complexed then that of a rat- a creature who has bigger gonads then their brain. Now since a rate is just marginally smarter then an insect, and acts more on impulse and instinct rather than cognition, It is safe to say that this study can in no way be representative of the human experience.

Here YOU have it gentleman, scientific study ata major university and whatever else you said done in HUMANS that showed it didn’t have a negative effect. Watch out for those rats though! PS I’m Rick James biotch!

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996 Oct;81(10):3754-8.

The effects of supraphysiological doses of testosterone on angry behavior in healthy eugonadal men–a clinical research center study.

Tricker R, Casaburi R, Storer TW, Clevenger B, Berman N, Shirazi A, Bhasin S.

Division of Endocrinology, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA.

Anecdotal reports of “roid rage” and violent crimes by androgenic steroid users have brought attention to the relationship between anabolic steroid use and angry outbursts. However, testosterone effects on human aggression remain controversial. Previous studies have been criticized because of the low androgen doses, lack of placebo control or blinding, and inclusion of competitive athletes and those with preexisting psychopathology. To overcome these pitfalls, we used a double-blind, placebo-controlled design, excluded competitive athletes and those with psychiatric disorders, and used 600 mg testosterone enanthate (TE)/week. Forty-three eugonadal men, 19-40 yr, were randomized to 1 of 4 groups: Group I, placebo, no exercise; Group II, TE, no exercise; Group III, placebo, exercise; Group IV, TE plus exercise. Exercise consisted of thrice weekly strength training sessions. The Multi-Dimensional Anger Inventory (MAI), which includes 5 different dimensions of anger (inward anger, outward anger, anger arousal, hostile outlook, and anger eliciting situations), and a Mood Inventory (MI), which includes items related to mood and behavior, were administered to subjects before, during, and after the 10 week intervention. The subject’s significant other (spouse, live-in partner, or parent) also answered the same questions about the subject’s mood and behavior (Observer Mood Inventory, OMI). No differences were observed between exercising and nonexercising and between placebo and TE treated subjects for any of the 5 subdomains of MAI. Overall there were no significant changes in MI or OMI during the treatment period in any group. Conclusion: Supraphysiological doses of testosterone, when administered to normal men in a controlled setting, do not increase angry behavior. These data do not exclude the possibility that still higher doses of multiple steroids might provoke angry behavior in men with preexisting psychopathology.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 8855834 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Physiol Behav. 2002 Apr 1;75(4):557-66.

Exogenous testosterone, aggression, and mood in eugonadal and hypogonadal men.

O’Connor DB, Archer J, Hair WM, Wu FC.

Department of Endocrinology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester M13 9WL, UK. daryloc@psychology.leeds.ac.uk

To investigate (1) the effects of exogenous testosterone (T) on self- and partner-reported aggression and mood and (2) the role of trait impulsivity in the T-aggression relationship. Thirty eugonadal men with partners were randomized into two treatment groups to receive: (1) 200 mg im T enanthate weekly for 8 weeks or (2) 200 mg im sodium chloride weekly for 8 weeks. Eight hypogonadal men received 200 mg im T enanthate biweekly for 8 weeks. All groups completed a battery of behavior measures at baseline (Week 0) and at Weeks 4 and 8. Cognitive and motor impulsivity were the only predictors of self-reported total aggression (over and above age and T levels) at Weeks 0, 4, and 8. No significant changes in aggression or mood levels were found in the eugonadal-treated group. Significant reductions in negative mood (tension, anger, and fatigue) followed by an increase in vigor were found in response to T treatment in the hypogonadal group. These results demonstrate that inability to control one’s behavior when such control is required by a particular situation (impulsivity) was found to significantly predict levels of aggression over and above age and T level. These data do not support the hypothesis that supraphysiological levels of T (within this range) lead to an increase in self- and partner-reported aggression or mood disturbances. Instead, for the first time, this study has identified the high level of negative affect experienced by hypogonadal patients. These findings have implications for T replacement therapy and male contraception.

muslhead, nice research but chill out with the sarcasm/attempted comedy(We all saw the bent rows thread and have no respect for you).

Nice articles in that you found some human experiments. I’m not sure if I came across anything in either article that stated the extracirricular activities of the test subjects. If I’m correct, on the first study, one of the main sources of input was from the subjects’ spouse or significant other. In the second article, it only says a “battery” of behavior measures were given to the subjects THREE different times over the 8 week experiment. I respect your reasearch, especially since it pertains to humans(I was merely regurgitating an article I read), but I feel these experiments, although they claim to be the most advanced due to their styles(double-blind, placebo, etc.), do not have enough valid proof in the lives of these men outside the tests they take every 4 weeks, or the feedback from their significant others.

Although my statement was about rats, which we all know are far inferior to humans, at least there was actual labwork with chemicals in the brain, plus the researchers ability to OBSERVE much more often.

In my opinion there has not been nearly enough research to prove either side of this argument wrong. Perhaps I was a little over zealous about my findings and you all are definately correct about them just being rats, but I feel that history takes the side of those who believe that steroids do cause roid rage, or something along the lines of it. After all, testosterone is what makes men not act like women. If anyone has more research to put up, feel free to, but until then I don’t think anyone is right or wrong.

Actually Bosshog, According to my Psychology of Sex Differences course, the differences between the sexes are caused by nurture, not nature! believe it! Remember the Amazonian Women! Test levels and Roid rage have never been proven to be related. Instead like much other bullshit that the gov’t tries to attribute to steroids its all lies to fool the lay public into believing that anabolic steroids are demonic- If you make something ‘socially unacceptable’ its easier to regulate right?

I see what you mean prisoner. If anyone has some more good articles on the subject I’d like to read them. Besides, I’m about to do a nice little cycle myself and I’m starting to wonder if I’ll turn out like what’s his name that posted about how he went beserk on everyone.

I have no respect for you either bossfag. It’s great to hear that these studies don’t count as you’re an expert in study design right?

Biol Psychiatry. 1999 Feb 1;45(3):254-60.

Psychosexual effects of three doses of testosterone cycling in normal men.

Yates WR, Perry PJ, MacIndoe J, Holman T, Ellingrod V.

Department of Psychiatry, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Tulsa 74129-1077, USA.

BACKGROUND: Testosterone is receiving increased attention for contraceptive and therapeutic indications. The potential psychosexual side effects of testosterone therapy and withdrawal are unclear. METHODS: Healthy men between the ages of 21 and 40 years were recruited via advertisement for a randomized, controlled, double-blind study of acute and withdrawal effects of three doses of testosterone. Two weeks of placebo injections were followed by one of three randomized weekly doses of testosterone cypionate (100 mg, 250 mg, or 500 mg) for the next 14 weeks. Twelve weeks of placebo injections followed during the withdrawal phase of the study. Psychosexual effects were monitored throughout the study. RESULTS: All doses of testosterone demonstrated only minimal effects on measures of mood and behavior during acute and withdrawal phases for all study completers. There were no effects on psychosexual function. There was no evidence of a dose-dependent effect on any measure. One noncompleter on 500 mg of testosterone developed a brief syndrome with symptoms similar to an agitated and irritable mania. CONCLUSIONS: Doses of testosterone up to five times physiologic replacement dose appear to have minimal risk of adverse psychosexual effects in the majority of normal men; however, beginning at around 500 mg per week of testosterone cypionate, a minority of normal men may experience significant adverse psychological effects. Because illicit anabolic steroid users may use larger doses of multiple drugs under less restrictive conditions, our study may significantly underestimate the psychological effect of steroid use in the community.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial

PMID: 10023498 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PS Get the right musclehead before you open your mouth, I’m not the one from bent over rows retard.

Bosshogoutlaw: musclehead was simply trying to show an alternate viewpoint. It was not a directed attack against you - but you however did directly attack him. Anyways, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t even think this is the same muslhed who posted the 365 row (which IMHO IS damned impressive!).

I think you need to open your mind to constructive criticism more.

Anyways, my opinion is roid rage is a complete myth. If you have control of your emotions when not on gear, then you will when you are on it. Conversely, If you are an immature baby prone to temper-tantrums then you’re the same baby whether or not you take your sustenon!

Rats be damned!

Thanks archaic and no, I’m not the same musclehead who was doing the bent over rows. Our handles are different but apparently bosshoggangster whatever couldn’t take the time to see that I’m not the same guy who he “has no respect for”

1: N Engl J Med. 1996 Jul 4;335(1):1-7. Related Articles, Links

Comment in:
N Engl J Med. 1996 Jul 4;335(1):52-3.

The effects of supraphysiologic doses of testosterone on muscle size and strength in normal men.

Bhasin S, Storer TW, Berman N, Callegari C, Clevenger B, Phillips J, Bunnell TJ, Tricker R, Shirazi A, Casaburi R.

Department of Medicine, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA.

BACKGROUND: Athletes often take androgenic steroids in an attempt to increase their strength. The efficacy of these substances for this purpose is unsubstantiated, however. METHODS: We randomly assigned 43 normal men to one of four groups: placebo with no exercise; testosterone with no exercise; placebo plus exercise; and testosterone plus exercise. The men received injections of 600 mg of testosterone enanthate or placebo weekly for 10 weeks. The men in the exercise groups performed standardized weight-lifting exercises three times weekly. Before and after the treatment period, fat-free mass was determined by underwater weighing, muscle size was measured by magnetic resonance imaging, and the strength of the arms and legs was assessed by bench-press and squatting exercises, respectively. RESULTS: Among the men in the no-exercise groups, those given testosterone had greater increases than those given placebo in muscle size in their arms (mean [+/-SE] change in triceps area, 424 +/- 104 vs. -81 +/- 109 square millimeters; P < 0.05) and legs (change in quadriceps area, 607 +/- 123 vs. -131 +/- 111 square millimeters; P < 0.05) and greater increases in strength in the bench-press (9 +/- 4 vs. -1 +/- 1 kg, P < 0.05) and squatting exercises (16 +/- 4 vs. 3 +/- 1 kg, P < 0.05). The men assigned to testosterone and exercise had greater increases in fat-free mass (6.1 +/- 0.6 kg) and muscle size (triceps area, 501 +/- 104 square millimeters; quadriceps area, 1174 +/- 91 square millimeters) than those assigned to either no-exercise group, and greater increases in muscle strength (bench-press strength, 22 +/- 2 kg; squatting-exercise capacity, 38 +/- 4 kg) than either no-exercise group. Neither mood nor behavior was altered in any group. CONCLUSIONS: Supraphysiologic doses of testosterone, especially when combined with strength training, increase fat-free mass and muscle size and strength in normal men.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial

PMID: 8637535 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1992 Dec;75(6):1503-7. Related Articles, Links

The effects of exogenous testosterone on sexuality and mood of normal men.

Anderson RA, Bancroft J, Wu FC.

Medical Research Council Reproductive Biology Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, Edinburgh, Scotland.

The effects of supraphysiological levels of testosterone, used for male contraception, on sexual behavior and mood were studied in a single-blind, placebo-controlled manner in a group of 31 normal men. After 4 weeks of baseline observations, the men were randomized into two groups: one group received 200 mg testosterone enanthate (TE) weekly by im injection for 8 weeks (Testosterone Only group), the other received placebo injections once weekly for the first 4 weeks followed by TE 200 mg weekly for the following 4 weeks (Placebo/Testosterone group). The testosterone administration increased trough plasma testosterone levels by 80%, compatible with peak testosterone levels 400-500% above baseline. Various aspects of sexuality were assessed using sexuality experience scales (SES) questionnaires at the end of each 4-week period while sexual activity and mood states were recorded by daily dairies and self-rating scales. In both groups there was a significant increase in scores in the Psychosexual Stimulation Scale of the SES (i.e. SES 2) following testosterone administration, but not with placebo. There were no changes in SES 3, which measures aspects of sexual interaction with the partner. In both groups there were no changes in frequency of sexual intercourse, masturbation, or penile erection on waking nor in any of the moods reported. The Placebo/Testosterone group showed an increase in self-reported interest in sex during testosterone treatment but not with placebo. The SES 2 results suggest that sexual awareness and arousability can be increased by supraphysiological levels of testosterone. However, these changes are not reflected in modifications of overt sexual behavior, which in eugonadal men may be more determined by sexual relationship factors. This contrasts with hypogonadal men, in whom testosterone replacement clearly stimulates sexual behavior. There was no evidence to suggest an alteration in any of the mood states studied, in particular those associated with increased aggression. We conclude that supraphysiological levels of testosterone maintained for up to 2 months can promote some aspects of sexual arousability without stimulating sexual activity in eugonadal men within stable heterosexual relationships. Raising testosterone does not increase self-reported ratings of aggressive feelings.

PIP: Testosterone is necessary, though not sufficient for normal levels of sexual desire. Researchers are currently investigating the potential role of supraphysiological doses of testosterone as an hormonal contraceptive for men. This paper reports findings from such a study of the effects of supraphysiological levels of testosterone upon sex behavior and mood in 31 men. A single-blind, placebo-controlled study design was employed. The men were aged 21-41 years, healthy, and in stable heterosexual relationships. All subjects were normal on clinical examination, and their plasma testosterone and gonadotropins were within the normal range. Baseline data were gathered on the subjects over a four-week period of observation. The men were then randomized into two groups, men in one group receiving 200 mg testosterone enanthate (TE) weekly by intramuscular injection for eight weeks, and men in the other group receiving placebo injections once weekly for the first four weeks followed by TE 200 mg weekly for the following four weeks. Testosterone administration increased trough plasma testosterone levels by 80%, compatible with peak testosterone levels 400-500% above baseline. Various aspects of sexuality were assessed using sexuality experience scales (SES) questionnaires at the end of each four-week period, while sexual activity and mood states were recorded in daily dairies and self-rating scales. There was a significant increase in both groups in scores in the Psychosexual Stimulation Scale of the SES (SES 2) following testosterone administration, but not following receipt of placebo. There were no changes in the measurement of sexual interaction with the partner and no changes in either group in the frequency of sexual intercourse, masturbation, or penile erection on waking nor in any of the moods reported. The placebo/testosterone group showed an increased self-reported interest in sex during testosterone treatment, but not with placebo. SES 2 results suggest that sexual awareness and arousability can be increased by supraphysiological levels of testosterone. These changes, however, are not reflected in any change in overt sexual behavior, which in eugonadal men may be more determined by sexual relationship factors; this contrasts with hypogonadal men in whom testosterone replacement clearly stimulates sexual behavior. No evidence was found to suggest an alteration in any of the mood states studied, in particular those associated with increased aggression. The authors conclude that supraphysiological levels of testosterone maintained for up to two months can promote some aspects of sexual arousability without stimulating sexual activity in eugonadal men within stable heterosexual relationships.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial

PS Tron pleads the fif.

Horm Behav. 1997 Apr;31(2):110-9. Related Articles, Links

Androgen-behavior correlations in hypogonadal men and eugonadal men. I. Mood and response to auditory sexual stimuli.

Alexander GM, Swerdloff RS, Wang C, Davidson T, McDonald V, Steiner B, Hines M.

Department of Psychology, University of New Orleans, Louisiana 70148, USA.

Mood and response to auditory sexual stimuli were assessed in 33 hypogonadal men receiving testosterone (T) replacement therapy, 10 eugonadal men receiving T in a male contraceptive clinical trial, and 19 eugonadal men not administered T. Prior to and after 6 weeks of hormone administration, men completed a mood questionnaire, rated sexual arousal to and sexual enjoyment of auditory sexual stimuli, and performed a dichotic listening task measuring selective attention for sexual stimuli. Mood questionnaire results suggest that T has positive effects on mood in hypogonadal men when hormone levels are well below the normal male range of values, but does not have any effects on mood when hormone levels are within or above the normal range. However, increased sexual arousal and sexual enjoyment were associated with T administration regardless of gonadal status. Eugonadal men administered T also increased in the bias to attend to sexual stimuli. In contrast, the comparison group of eugonadal men not administered T showed no mood or sexual behavior changes across the two test sessions. These data support a positive relationship between T and sexual interest, sexual arousal, and sexual enjoyment in men.

This is an excellent thread… I just love studies. Good job musclehead

am I the only one who watches the chapelle show?

My apologies to muslhead I didn’t even realize that there were two different ones. BTW I am a huge fan of chappelle show. musclehead didn’t you think the one last night with prince sucked? My favorite is definately trading spouses or any other sketch when he puts on his white guy costume.

muscle: no bro that is some funny shit for sure. I busted out laughing at the Rick James comment…

Apology accepted bosshog, I can be a penis head at times.

Antyways, the chapelle show is hilarious but I agree that last night wasn’t as good as the others. My favorites are when he did the trading places thing, rick james story, and when he pretended to be tiger woods with the teeth that stuck out and said “ah fa shizzle, I always wanted to say that”
The quote from the trading places is when he dresses up as a white guy and sniffs the wife’s panties and looks for titty residue
Oh and one more is that guy doing the robot in all of the skits in the background with his eyes rolled up in to his head that shit is hilarious
Damn forgot another is when during the racial draft and he’s an announcer and the white guy says something but I can’t remember what and he’s like fuck you man. Little things like that are funny to me

PS Fuck yo couch nigga!

Muscle- there is a box set coming out soon which I’m def gonna buy, even though I’ve seen all the episodes.

Top 5 sketches:

1. Slave reparations when Tron becomes the world’s richest man off a dice game and buys a baby “straight cash”

2. Rick James telling the girls that he wished he had more hands so he could give those titties 4 thumbs down

3. I was to piss on you featuring R. Kelly’s “Doo Doo butter”

4. Trading spouses with the “titty residue” and “courtesy flush”

5. “Mad real world” when they work at the juice factory and Tron tells the only white guy to “get me some juice and a banana cognac biatch!”

what are your top 5