Steroids and Martial Arts with Bodybuilding?

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
No, steroids won’t make you better at martial arts. They will help you beat people who are physically weaker or people with poor technique, but you will not become very good.

You have to learn how to use technique, and if you are trying to out-muscle people in practice your technique will suck. Learn the game, develop your technique, and beat people using skill. Unless of course your true passion is bodybuilding, in which case steroids will certainly help you.[/quote]

Being on steroids and trying to gain mass wont automatically make him stop focussing on technique. When two people of equal skill are in a fight, the person who is stronger will have the advantage.

I’m not condonning(sp?) steroid use in martial arts, but it will help him. Obviously only to a certain extent, then it will become a hinderance.

To help you physique and your martial arts, focus on dropping bodyfat.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
At 5’9" and 190 pounds you are at the upper limit of weight to height. With 15% bodyfat you are carrying almost 30 lbs (14kg)of fat. You could drop 15-20 pounds (7-10kg) of fat which would improve your bodybuild and your martial arts.

There are a lot of factors that go into making a good fighter, strength is just one of them. Size or more importantly build can affect agility, balance, the way you move, even the relationship of various parts of your body to each other. This is why you don’t see a lot of top fighters who are massively thick.

There are steroids that don’t add a lot of mass but the problem with them is they really tighten you up. Turinabol did that to me. After two months I felt like every muscles in my body was constantly flexed. To be a good fighter you need to be able to hang loose, that constantly being flexed up doesn’t help. [/quote]

180 cm is more like 5’11, even though Google calculator for some reason says it’s 5’9

If he’s 5’11" he could go over 200. Mike Tyson is 5’11" 215-220lbs and he can punch as hard as anybody.

The main thing he needs to do physically is lower his body fat. If you want to be good at martial arts learn to rely on technique instead of size.

At the amateur level in the UK alot of “bouncer/hardman” types compete in MMA juiced to compesate for crappy technique and for the deffinate size advantage.

Fortunatly alot of these guys get weeded out at the intermediate level