Steroids and HIV/AIDS

Hi gang,

I have to write a paper for my nursing class. I was thinking of writing one on the use of steroids to treat diesease. I remember reading somewhere that someone was using steroids to treat the muscle waisting involved in AIDS. Journal articles would be best, but any resource would be appreciatted. Any ideas?

Derick

Comming from an RN BN I will advise you not to write a paper on steroids. Focus your pharmacologic research on drugs that you are going to use in the clinical setting. Although steroids would be useful in many settings, they are mostly considered ‘taboo’. Most physicians do not even know much about them and of course, most of the drugs that they routinely prescribe for different ailments are governed by their profesional body and hospital policy. The only steroids that most health proffesionals know about are corticosteroids which I am sure you know are a completely different class. Now remember your paper needs to be done from a nursing perspective, and if you write about steroids, not only is it not going to be from a nursing perspective, your instructors, are not going to have a clue about what you are talking about and probably give you a shitty mark.

I had considered this, but last term someone wrote a paper on steroid in sport. I am not sure how they wrote it from a nursing perspective, but the instructor mentioned it in class so I guess it was okay.

Derick

Built to Survive: A Comprehensive Guide to the Medical Use of Anabolic Steroids, Nutrition and Exercise for HIV (+) men and women

Check their website too.