Steroid Video

One thing the video doesn’t mention is that in a twisted way we may WANT steroids to be deadly. Athletes who use steroids get a leg up on their competition in sports; recreational gym folks suddenly make remarkable gains.

That sounds an awful lot like cheating, and the Protestant/Puritan hard-worker in all of us believes cheaters should be punished. So in a strange way it was comforting to think that Lyle Alzado got brain cancer from steroid use because it meant that a cheater was punished in the end.

Another point: your menopausal mother probably takes female hormones to combat aging; your sexually active sister/wife/girlfriend probably takes female hormones for birth control. No one seems to have an issue with that.

I’ve never juiced myself but I certainly pass no judgment on those who do.

DF

[quote]dynamicfitness wrote:
One thing the video doesn’t mention is that in a twisted way we may WANT steroids to be deadly. Athletes who use steroids get a leg up on their competition in sports; recreational gym folks suddenly make remarkable gains.

That sounds an awful lot like cheating, and the Protestant/Puritan hard-worker in all of us believes cheaters should be punished. So in a strange way it was comforting to think that Lyle Alzado got brain cancer from steroid use because it meant that a cheater was punished in the end.

Another point: your menopausal mother probably takes female hormones to combat aging; your sexually active sister/wife/girlfriend probably takes female hormones for birth control. No one seems to have an issue with that.

I’ve never juiced myself but I certainly pass no judgment on those who do.

DF[/quote]

damn bro, wtf is wrong with you. Holy crap, “comfort in another human being dieing” wtf! I don’t juice but, I hate the “I am holier than thou” close-minded attitude that most non-juicers have. sure it sux that some other guy goes in and just throws a weight a around while you have everything carefully planned out yet he makes the same gains as you but that was his decision. Live with it.

Dynamic fitness has a point here with lyle azedo. The hype about steroids as mentioned in the video is highly anecdotal, and if you listen closely to the anti-steroid opinions, the doctor simply claims these studies “should not be done.” Why is that? my belief is that all the hype about steroids would be refuted when tested with the group in question (healthy, adult males). It is simply not enough to say these drugs are so bad that they shouldn’t be studied, in fact, it’s hipocrisy. Anyway, getting back to DF’s point, when you have a big-name sports star come out and say steroids gave him brain cancer, for most people all the science to the contrary is simply bullshit. His own doctor even said that there was no concrete evidence that his death was related to steroid use (remember, this is a man with a nationally recognized medical degree vs. a guy who learned how to run and tackle). Now to the rational person (aka the T-man) this should be enough to silence Azedo’s claim, however the anecdotal evidence for one reason or another took over. Lyle’s death was finally the irrefutable proof that the anti-steroid advocates needed to garner support. I’m all for keeping steroids out of sports, but there should be no reason why a man shouldn’t be able to take steroids for aesthetic reasons. I mean hell, we’ll put silicone in a female’s breasts, completely redesign your face, and even stick implants under muscle, but we won’t allow that muscle to be built naturally. personally i’m not currently a steroid user (only 19 years old) and don’t plan to be for any time in the near future, but that doesn’t mean others shouldn’t be able to use them (Intelligently and in moderation of course).

Responding to “That One Guy”:

I personally don’t find any comfort in Alzado’s death–which more and more seems like just a random, shitty break for a great athlete.

To clarify:

The video begs the question: If in fact steroids are not particularly dangerous for adult, healthy males–as the evidence in this video suggests–why has the general public been so willing to believe that they are? Why is everyone so willing to buy into this myth, despite so much evidence to the contrary?

My point was an attempt to answer that question: that the general public likes to believe that cheaters/drug users get punished, either by the law or by contracting health problems. Everyone likes to think that bad guys will get theirs in the end. It’s part of why we go to the movies: to watch the good guys blow up the bad guys.

So maybe, when Alzado contracted cancer, a few journalists decided that the headline “Excessive Steroid Use Kills Hopped-Up Athlete” would make better copy than “Athlete Randomly Contracts Deadly Disease.” And maybe a few people–make that most people–were a little too quick to believe it.

And maybe that added to the demonization of steroids.

No ill will against the late Lyle: I’m taking the public to task (myself included) for believing the hype for so long.

Peace
DF

Seems a bit biased ? what about bitch tits and steroid turtle belly. Look at old man Hulk Hogan, he has turtle belly with his shinny hair and droopy face. Just look at that man they interviewed, he looked like he was the walking dead and he wasn?t even 70. Noone has died from maryjane but all these negative effects are labeled to it. The truth must be somewhere in the middle

LOL. Steroids are awesome. They make dreams come true.

Please properganda can be used to promote ANYTHING, do the research yourself and realize that steroids are not safe however are also not that deadly if used completly correct.