Steroid Advocacy Groups

Are there any steroid legalization advocacy groups? What happened to the USFA?

They are still around, but concentrate on legislation to prevent the currently legal supplements and prohormones such as DHEA from becoming “illegal” to possess or sell.

http://www.saveoursupplements.org/

Once the US government has deemed a substance illegal to own, manufacture, possess or sell, forget about ever reversing it.

That’s like trying to get the cocaine back into the original Coca-Cola formula. It ain’t gonna happen.

There will always be discreet outlaws, though. Either find one or become one.

I guess it’s two slightly different questions as to what’s meant about legalizing “steroids.”

Now compounds aren’t illegal just for being steroids per se, for example cholesterol is legal and so is DHEA. It comes down to “anabolic steroids” being illegal to possess without prescription or DEA license, and what one means by that, perhaps in contrast to what the government means by that.

An anabolic steroid is now defined as any drug or hormonal substance that promotes muscle growth or is claimed to promote muscle growth and is chemically and pharmacologically related to testosterone. Any.

That’s as inclusive as can possibly reasonably be: if it’s touted to promote muscle growth or actually does and in fact has similarity in how it works to testosterone and is related in structure – and any steroid can be considered related in structure simply from being steroids – it’s an anabolic steroid.

The only way anabolic steroids might be legalized is as part of some sweeping abolishment of the entire concept of controlled substances.

Which neither major political party has the slightest interest in.

Now as to where a person might have a different idea regarding “anabolic steroid” versus the legal one is that many people view anabolic steroids as being only those substances that used to be listed us such under the old law, and maybe some “designer” compounds.

Same situation with regard to those ever being made legal to possess without prescription.

I see. So substances which are decidedly beneficial are illegal.

Yes.

When lobbying Congress with the USFA we found out what the House and Senate staffers were at least saying, and I think they did mean, what their angle was.

Very simply, #1 was a worship-sports attitude – that also explains why taxpayers of cities may shell out hundreds of millions of dollars for a stadium and so forth – that put the “sanctity of sports” first.

We tried addressing that though that was possibly to do only subtly: in our formal report we included something along the lines that professional sports organizations are entitled to have any rules for their athletes that they wish, and the responsibility for enforcement or testing regarding those rules is solely the business and responsibility of those organizations.

It is not appropriate for them to demand that the entire public lose what they find to be a benefit simply because it’s against their rules.

This got nowhere. As far as Congress was concerned, if the anti-doping sports folk, particularly if I recall right the USADA, demanded the prohormones be banned then that was it, you can’t ruin the sanctity of sports.

Their argument #2 was, I’d paraphrase as, “protect the children,” in reference to high school athletes, but only as a distant second, none actually seemed concerned about that.

By the way, as with many things, if you want to know why things happen, follow the money… the USADA is raking in the bucks as the exclusive means of various kinds of required testing. If not for organizations banning substances, they’d be making not a dime.

Realistically, why for example Primobolan isn’t readily and legally available to adults, without prescription, with warning that it can virilization women, makes no sense when various other medications cause large numbers of deaths and yet, to Congress, are fine.

I have a suspicion that the whole thing may have started with some types who were always beat up by the jocks in high school and thus hate even the idea of anyone gaining muscle. There are such types.

There being no real practical reason, at least for the original classification of anabolic steroids as controlled substances, one has to suspect the psychological.

Thanks. Bill, for the insightful post.

Crooked lawmaking is an integral part of the democratic system. Elected politicians need only cater to the needs of their sponsors and constituents.

My hope is that this idiocy will remedy itself; at some point, the general public should realize the absurdity of unbridled supplement regulation.

There was even talk of banning fatty foods (and I don’t just mean trans-fats). No doubt, the FDA is already engaged in this project. The usual means:

1. Write a 10,000 page report.
  2. Site 100 irrelevant studies.
  3. Present circumstantial and anecdotal evidence.
  4. Make true but misleading statements.
  5. Use the media to scare the shit out of everyone.
  6. Somehow, somewhere, mention children and teenagers.

[quote]Unisonus wrote:
My hope is that this idiocy will remedy itself; at some point, the general public should realize the absurdity of unbridled supplement regulation.

[/quote]

Don’t hold your breath. This revolution, like so many others has gone underground. Although the “general public” is a better market for crystal meth than AAS. Go figure.

They should realize that we, the performance enhancement people, would be more than willing to help “catch”, the crackheads, and the crystal meth users( which by the way make a “roid rage”, look like a church recital"), if they would only let us be who we want to be, and that is “BIG”, and “HEALTHY”, and “NO”, we don`t want young people using steroids either, I think most of us already advocate that.

And of course one of the absurd things about the “sanctity of sports” argument – besides the fact that if an organization wants something not to be used within it, that is no reason to ban it to the entire American population – is that most or all of the organizations do NOT want performance-enhancing drug use to end.

I really don’t think, for example, major league baseball nor the fans want players to go back to the size, strength, and batting distance levels of the 70s or early 80s, nor wants to deal with the problem of more players being unable to maintain the grueling schedule.

The only thing most that are mad about it are mad, with regard to say Barry Bonds, about is that the info is out that he used anabolic steroids. Not, I think, really that he used them. They were much happier with him and his results than him without his results.