T Nation

Sternum Chin-Ups

Is it just me, or are these extremely hard? I can’t do a single one…my body stops about 6 inches from the bar and I can’t hold my body completely parallel? What is everyone else’s take on these?
-Matt

They’re tough. I’ll stick to pull-ups with a clap to impress the youngsters.

If they were easy, they wouldn’t be so good for you now would they. Also, only your head should be parallel with the floor, your body should be at a 45 degree angle to the floor. Check out Polquin’s description here http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459572

I had just started here at T-nation and decided to throw in sternum pull ups after reading the article. Well, 2 reps later, I was sadly humbled. I haven’t had time to throw them back in, but I can only presume they’re still hard as hell.

Really Hatebreed? I thought that the easier an exercise was, the better it is for you.

Needless to say, I was being sarcastic, but thanks for the link. My main question was, how do they work out for everyone that has tried them…including you?

i saw that article last year and tried them. couldn’t do one. so i pulled up normal and then layed out and tried to hold on as long as i could. they came pretty quickly after a couple weeks of negatives like that. also try them inverted. just grab the bar and jam your feet up to the ceiling and get as vertical and straight as possible. see how long you can hold the inversion. see how slowly you can lower out of it. pull yourself up while inverted. whoohoo !

See this article for a variation that may help you build the strength to do them.

http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459452

[quote]Matgic wrote:
Really Hatebreed? I thought that the easier an exercise was, the better it is for you.

Needless to say, I was being sarcastic, but thanks for the link. My main question was, how do they work out for everyone that has tried them…including you?[/quote]

they’re definitely pretty difficult! I think I could do 4 or 5 in decent form - but this was when I could do about 20 normal chinups. So I would just suggest you increase your normal pullup strength, and once you’ve attained a more advanced level of strength, then start doing sternum chinups.

It seems to me that sternum chinups basically allow you to combine a chin and row into one movement - so as long as youre including rows in your back workout, you’re not missing out on much by not including sternum chins.