T Nation

Stength/Power Without Size

Hey guys this has been bothering for a while now.

i want to gain strength without gaining size. is that possible? some say it is and some say it isnt. ive seen people do it but i dont know whats the background info on it? do you have to increase relative strength for this to occur? ive seen smaller guys than me do more weight, so it seems like its possible…? how do you increase strength/power without gaining size/mass?

your going to gain some size its just a fact.

http://www.dragondoor.com
http://www.bearpowered.com

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
Hey guys this has been bothering for a while now.

i want to gain strength without gaining size. is that possible? some say it is and some say it isnt. ive seen people do it but i dont know whats the background info on it? do you have to increase relative strength for this to occur? ive seen smaller guys than me do more weight, so it seems like its possible…? how do you increase strength/power without gaining size/mass?[/quote]

If you increase strength without adding size, you have increased your relative strength! Read Pavel’s books, he often focuses on increasing strength without size in his writings

You do it by
A) getting da fuck off T-Nation and exercising.

unless you have a job.

Yeah you can do it. But not by incredible amounts. I’m assuming you want to do it for basketball which case I will tell you as we at T-Nation have told you a million times your worrying about the wrong thing.

Keep your cardio conditioning up and improve it. At the same time lift weights. You will get stronger, and if you can still run 5 miles in 30 minutes your just not going to be that big of a guy.

Yes it’s possible. read the USA gymnastics conditioning manuals from the mid 90s (its floating around online somewhere). It’s centered solely around the theory of maximal strength with minimal size. It’s a much more attainable goal than most people are willing to accept.

I know plenty of guys who have added hundreds of pounds to their lifts over the years and only added 10 pounds or so in bodyweight. There is very clear science behind this.

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/publications/technique/1996/8/strength-training.html

You most definitely can. How else do you think we have powerlifters in the lightest weight classes? Just follow a strength-focused program (there are several on T-Nation) and don’t eat a caloric surplus–though of course make sure you take in enough to compensate for the increased workout intensity.

Ever heard of Waterbury’s set/rep bible. While it is a great article to learn how to hybrid (strength w/ hypertrophy etc.) it also provides you with your answer. Do low rep, heavy weights with less than the range (24-50) reps total for the exercise. I have found that working in the 15 rep area GREATLY increases MY (and I stress my) strength while adding very minimal size. Thats all the advice I have.

Read Pavel’s books on dragondoor.com

… of course all of this would require you to actually put forth some effort in the gym, which, judging by a lot of your posts, seems to be what you lack.

Go out and train hard, don’t be afraid of adding size. I play volleyball in college and am almost 60 pounds heavier than I was in high school yet my standing vertical is up about 6"… and it was pretty high to begin with.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
… of course all of this would require you to actually put forth some effort in the gym, which, judging by a lot of your posts, seems to be what you lack.

Go out and train hard, don’t be afraid of adding size. I play volleyball in college and am almost 60 pounds heavier than I was in high school yet my standing vertical is up about 6"… and it was pretty high to begin with.[/quote]

6 feet? get the fuck outta here.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
[/quote]

" = inches.
’ = feet.

ex. I am 6’2" tall.

I second this reply. Waterbury discusses this in his Muscle Revolution book. He notes that 9-15 rep range is more suited towards weight class athletes such as gymnasts, wrestlers, etc. Try a lower volume/higher intensity setup like 3x3, 3x5, 5x3, and so on. Just remember to work in atleast the 85%-90%+ range. And as another poster noted, watch your calorie intake as well. If you are doing a lower volume of work you will need less calories.

[quote]Gianacakos wrote:
Ever heard of Waterbury’s set/rep bible. While it is a great article to learn how to hybrid (strength w/ hypertrophy etc.) it also provides you with your answer. Do low rep, heavy weights with less than the range (24-50) reps total for the exercise. I have found that working in the 15 rep area GREATLY increases MY (and I stress my) strength while adding very minimal size. Thats all the advice I have.[/quote]

This thread is ridiculous.

If you won’t wanna get “too big” then don’t eat so much food.

It’s very simple. If you are gaining weight and you don’t want to, don’t eat so much.

Don’t worry about not doing high reps and only doing a certain amount of volume. Your training should not change. Train to get strong as fuck. But watch how much you eat if you don’t want to gain weight.

A powerlifter who is trying to stay in a certain weight class will not worry about stupid shit like certain rep/set schemes. He will train to get strong, which includes appropriate volume on assistance exercises and going heavy on the main lifts. He just will watch his diet.

thank you guys i appreciate it.

would westside for skinny bastards 2 do the trick?

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
thank you guys i appreciate it.

would westside for skinny bastards 2 do the trick?[/quote]

it should. that’s kind of what it supposed to do anyway …

YOU will get a bit bigger than YOU are now by gaining strength, but you can get a lot bigger and a bit stronger, a little bigger and a lot stronger, or a lot bigger and a lot stronger. Take your pick.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

" = inches.
’ = feet.

ex. I am 6’2" tall.[/quote]

congratulations, keep it up you might be to 6 feet in 5 years.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
YOU will get a bit bigger than YOU are now by gaining strength, but you can get a lot bigger and a bit stronger, a little bigger and a lot stronger, or a lot bigger and a lot stronger. Take your pick.

[/quote]

i want to get a little bigger and a lot stronger.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

" = inches.
’ = feet.

ex. I am 6’2" tall.

congratulations, keep it up you might be to 6 feet in 5 years.[/quote]

What???