SteelyD/Other Inspired Cooks

I’m cooking dinner for my future inlaws for the first time this coming Sunday and I’d prefer to impress if at all possible.

Looking for your favourite sure-fire recipes - grilling preferred, no food restrictions.

What’s your go-to recipe these days, folks?

Edit - blah, just noticed OctoberGirl’s similar thread. My apologies.

Well there are a lot of good recipes on the “Grilling Recipes” thread

otherwise I love looking at foodtv.com

Yeah, I just edited my post to make note of your thread - thanks!

I hope you do the whole pic thing like you did in your Cucina Anabolica thread.

I have that one bookmarked. It should be forever stickied at the top of the page

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I hope you do the whole pic thing like you did in your Cucina Anabolica thread.

I have that one bookmarked. It should be forever stickied at the top of the page

[/quote]

No, that was me :wink:

Neely (Steely, Neely, … ),

If your in-laws like meat, you can’t go wrong with some nice sirloin grilling tips. They’re usually cut into long strips and are hard to dry out even if they get over cooked at bit, so they’re good for folks with a variety of tastes (rare, med, well-done, etc).

I usually put them in a container and marinate them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar (or Worc. Sauce), garlic powder, onion powder, and dired parsley. You can stick them in the fridge overnight.

Another ‘go-to’ is chicken breasts marinated in Sesame Oil, a few shakes of soy sauce, a little vinegar, and garlic powder. The sesame flavor is very subtle. If you’re not obsessively worried about carbs, mix 2 Tablespoons of Brown sugar with the oil/vinegar.

Our temps freeze up here usually by late October/Novemeber and the snow flies right around then. By Jan, we have a couple feet on the ground— and my grill is still going :wink:

Edit: OG’s Grilling thread has some good looking stuff on there. Also, T-Cell Alpha food thread has some good stuff.

My suggestion would be to set out an entire menu. A nice simple appetizer, fresh salad, main dish with a seasonal veggie and a nice dessert (w/coffee). Keep it simple and pay attention to the details. A few simple dishes that are well executed will make more of an impact on your ILs than a bunch of marginal ones. Here is a suggestion for an appetizer/salad that is really simple to make and tastes great.

Take a large fresh tomato and cut it into 1/2" slices. Get some fresh mozzarella cheese and and cut that into 1/2" slices. Lay one tomato slice on the center of a plate and then layer a portobello mushroom and the cheese on top of that. Place another tomato slice on top. Drizzle with some balsamic vinegar and garnish with some fresh basil. In short, you have a veggie and cheese sandwich. If possible, try to match the diameter of the mushroom and the tomato/cheese slices - this makes it look really sharp.

If you are up for roasting a fresh ham, I have a absolutely wonderful recipe that I make every year for Christmas that never fails to impress.

Then again, it’s the in-laws… PBJ!