Steel vs Non-Stick Pans?

Now I know this isn’t a gourmet cooking forum, but what sort of cookware do you use and why?

Practically everything I own is non-stick but whenever I watch food network they all use steel pans. Do steel pans really improve taste?

Stainless steel pans do make food taste better. I can’t actually offer you much in the way of scientific facts, but they do. I have a degree in culinary arts and used to be a sous chef, so I can offer real world evidence. Basically, meats and vegetables and starches have sugars in them which caramelize on their surfaces when put in contact with high heat.

For what ever reason, the SS pans have a better “grip” or contact with the food than a non stick. Makes sense since the non stick is well, non stick. And something about the plastic that is non stick just makes a difference taste wise. Also, since SS is non reactive you can use any acidic liquid in the pan while cooking, ie; wine, vinegar or fruits.

You can’t do that in a cooper or aluminum pan or else it will taste really funny and bad. To a small degree acids and non stick don’t mix either. The acidic food or liquid will leach a funny taste out of non stick surface.
So maybe it’s anecdotal evidence, but it’s true :wink:

Well seasoned cast iron. Nothing beats it.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Well seasoned cast iron. Nothing beats it.[/quote]
It’s good for some things, but not all…
I have my mother in law’s 37 year old one :wink:

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
[/quote]

X 3. My ex fiance was a chef and swore by cast iron for about 75% of the cooking

I still love the shit for about 85% of my cooking…

Because Chefs dont have to do the washing up…

How do you guys avoid sauces/fat burning up and being a sticky black mess with using SS pans? Sometimes I get an awesome forearm workout trying to scrub them off.

Hi little buddy,

My favourite pan at the moment is a neoflam pan. Google it.

Its a non-stick pan that doesnt contaminate the food with any chemicals like the other non-stick pans do. Its also lightweight! Its apparently pretty new on the market… made ion the secret enclaves of NASA!

tweet

Is anyone concerned with alledged health risks invovled with non stick? I use them all the time and been trying to research a safer non stick which might be the ceramic coated.

Anyone know more about this?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
[/quote]

I have a fairly complete set of 5-ply all clad and do probably 80% or my pan cooking/baking in the cast iron. Hah.

[quote]Piyneimad wrote:
How do you guys avoid sauces/fat burning up and being a sticky black mess with using SS pans? Sometimes I get an awesome forearm workout trying to scrub them off.[/quote]

Magic eraser.

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
[/quote]

LOL, and it came with 37 years of her cooking… I’ll stick with stainless or non-stick. :slight_smile:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:

LOL, and it came with 37 years of her cooking… I[/quote]

sounds like it might be an improvement for you…

[quote]as wrote:
Is anyone concerned with alledged health risks invovled with non stick? I use them all the time and been trying to research a safer non stick which might be the ceramic coated.

Anyone know more about this?[/quote]
Ceramic is good, but not for crazy high heat, it will blister off. I know, thanks Le Creuset…
What we did when I was a breakfast cook for non stick pans was we would use a cast aluminum pan, 8", fill it half full of oil and set it on high flame until it burst into flames, toss the oil out, fill it in with salt and burn that in. Let it cool and then wipe it out. Worked better than non stick, but you can’t ever wash it, only wipe it out. All of the pores of the metal were filled in with this process.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Piyneimad wrote:
How do you guys avoid sauces/fat burning up and being a sticky black mess with using SS pans? Sometimes I get an awesome forearm workout trying to scrub them off.[/quote]

Magic eraser.

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do[/quote]
Brillo pad.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi little buddy,

Its a non-stick pan that doesnt contaminate the food with any chemicals like the other non-stick pans do. Its also lightweight! Its apparently pretty new on the market… made ion the secret enclaves of NASA!

tweet[/quote]

Do you have any more info on this neoflam? Sounds like I need it… Also sounds too go to be true.

[quote]JK29 wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi little buddy,

tweet[/quote]

Do you have any more info on this neoflam? Sounds like I need it… Also sounds too go to be true.
[/quote]

I dont really know much about it, except for what the sales lady told me. Apparently most non-stick pans emit chemicals into your food, and apparently this neoflam doesnt. Ive been happy with the pan, although I mainly use my grill and slow cooker for cooking.
Here is a website I found for you: http://neoflam.com.au/cookware

Uncle Bird.

tweet

Thanks for the info guys.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Thanks for the info guys.[/quote]

No probs.

tweet

Bird, the neoflam looks interesting, it uses SiO2 coating. How long have you had it? Any problems scratching or flaking off? I’d expect it to be tougher than teflon.