Steel Toe Boots

And I wouldn’t avoid Justins outright. Its just a fit thing with me. If you have the right shaped foot they may be just the ticket. And if they are you quite possibly will hate the Ariats.

There are lots of good brands to choose from. Georgia Boot, Rocky, Timberland, Merrel, Carhartt, Rockport, Carolina, Lacrosse, Reebok, Puma, Skechers, Laredo, Ariat, Wolverine, or Double H to name a few.
If you’re going to be standing in one place a lot, using a lathe or drill press for instance, you’ll want something with a lot of cushioning or be willing to spend a little extra for insoles.
If you want waterproof you should go to a boot with Gore-Tex to help with wicking away sweat.

Most boots are non-slip, oil resistant. Most shop floors aren’t really covered in oil so a hiker style of boot with a lug sole would probably work and be useful if you had to do some outside work.
My work gives us $200 every year to get steel/composite toe work shoes.
I’m currently wearing Puma, as I’m riding around in a truck, and they are very comfortable. I have some Timberlands, Wolverines, and Carolinas also.
My foot is a 2E so I find that Timberland, Wolverine, Puma, and Carolina have the best selection for me.
Timberland makes great boots for around $110. Very comfortable and easy to stand in for long periods.

REMEMBER THIS!!! Steel/composite toes do NOT stretch. If it feels tight now it will always feel that way. The heel will stretch some so your toes can slide back if they are too far forward but the width will never change.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Another thing to consider (at least for me) is rebuild-ability.

I paid $325 for my Nick’s in 2001 wore my them for 10 years and then had them completely re-soled for $70. The same boot sells new now for over $400.

In effect I got a new pair of boots for $70 and they didn’t need breaking in.

If one can get a good 12 - 18 years out of a pair of boots for say, ~$400 - 500 total cost and the other guy buys three pairs of boots at $250 each over the same time period, who got the “cheaper” boot?[/quote]

Buy nice, don’t buy twice, right? And the point about rebuild-ability is good advice as well. Won’t most boots in the $200-$300 range be re-buildable?

This is a good point, and probably something that a lot of people should consider, but at least half of my day will be spent in the office. I just need the steel toe for the times that I go into the shop to look at how the machines are running etc.

I won’t be welding, walking around construction sites (or even outside for that matter) or even standing for a majority of my day. Given all of this I can’t justify spending much more than about $250. I just don’t see them getting that much wear and tear in my specific line of work.

Shit I thought $200-$250 was a solid amount already!

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I paid $325 for my Nick’s in 2001 wore my them for 10 years and then had them completely re-soled for $70. The same boot sells new now for over $400.

If one can get a good 12 - 18 years out of a pair of boots for say, ~$400 - 500 total cost and the other guy buys three pairs of boots at $250 each over the same time period, who got the “cheaper” boot?[/quote]

Buy nice, don’t buy twice, right?

This is a good point, and probably something that a lot of people should consider, but at least half of my day will be spent in the office. I just need the steel toe for the times that I go into the shop to look at how the machines are running etc.

I won’t be welding, walking around construction sites (or even outside for that matter) or even standing for a majority of my day. Given all of this I can’t justify spending much more than about $250. I just don’t see them getting that much wear and tear in my specific line of work.

Shit I thought $200-$250 was a solid amount already![/quote]

In that environment, you could potentially get 20 good years out of almost any pair you buy, if not more. Just buy the most comfortable cheapest boot and be done with it.

Edit: And most boots will be rebuildable. I have a very good boot guy here that has even has said that he can redo Walmart boots if I want, it just isn’t economical. And most people will get 10+ years out of steel toe work boots in that 150-250 range as long as they don’t get wet often. The value for the high priced boots just is not there in my opinion. I have a pair of $110 basspro brand snake boots that have lasted me 8 years. Finally tore them up when I wore them to do some timber work, which is beyond their function.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Buy nice, don’t buy twice, right? And the point about rebuild-ability is good advice as well. Won’t most boots in the $200-$300 range be re-buildable?

I’d seriously consider buying the Timbs Pro. You can get 2 pairs and they are on Zappos so you could always order them and then return them if they aren’t right for you. They definitely aren’t the greatest of the greatest but it sounds like you’re work conditions are about the same as mine and these are perfectly fine.

I understand the need for super-mega badass stompers like push and others are advocating but it seems to be above your needs.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I’d seriously consider buying the Timbs Pro. You can get 2 pairs and they are on Zappos so you could always order them and then return them if they aren’t right for you. They definitely aren’t the greatest of the greatest but it sounds like you’re work conditions are about the same as mine and these are perfectly fine.

I understand the need for super-mega badass stompers like push and others are advocating but it seems to be above your needs.[/quote]

This is what I’m thinking. I would like to try them on first to make sure they fit/feel comfortable. I’ll just be sure to get the stitched sole as previously suggested.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I used to swear by Redwings and wore them exclusively for over 15 years. But in the last five years or so, they have really gone to shit. The soles started falling off more frequently, they seemed heavier and the insoles went from like $20 to $60 (and trust me, you want the insoles)

Check out Ariat Work Hogs. I prefer the square steel toe because it gives my piggies a little more room. It’s easily the most comfortable boot I’ve ever owned, hands down. They are nice enough to wear out and they are tough enough for a construction site.

[/quote]

Were the bad Redwings you got made in the US with US-sourced materials? I’m asking because my new boots (6" lace-up w/composite met guard) are made in the US with foreign materials. The only met guard boots that are made in US with US materials use the external plate, which is fucking awful no matter where it’s made.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I understand the need for super-mega badass stompers like push and others are advocating but it seems to be above your needs.[/quote]

I agree with this. One thing to consider is that the heavy duty leather boots are HOT.

If the majority of your time is spent at a desk they are overkill. I’m in and out of the machine shop and lab all day dealing with chips oil and fuels and I wear something like this.

They hold up well and when they need to be replaced once a year I get fresh kicks from Marshall’s for $25-$30

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I agree with this. One thing to consider is that the heavy duty leather boots are HOT.

If the majority of your time is spent at a desk they are overkill. I’m in and out of the machine shop and lab all day dealing with chips oil and fuels and I wear something like this.

They hold up well and when they need to be replaced once a year I get fresh kicks from Marshall’s for $25-$30
[/quote]

I need a steel toed Boot.

I’m heading in the direction of Wolverine or Timberland PROs with a 6-8" cuff and stitched sole for around 150-175.

It will be nice to have them in the winter here in MN as well.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I used to swear by Redwings and wore them exclusively for over 15 years. But in the last five years or so, they have really gone to shit. The soles started falling off more frequently, they seemed heavier and the insoles went from like $20 to $60 (and trust me, you want the insoles)

Check out Ariat Work Hogs. I prefer the square steel toe because it gives my piggies a little more room. It’s easily the most comfortable boot I’ve ever owned, hands down. They are nice enough to wear out and they are tough enough for a construction site.

[/quote]

Were the bad Redwings you got made in the US with US-sourced materials? I’m asking because my new boots (6" lace-up w/composite met guard) are made in the US with foreign materials. The only met guard boots that are made in US with US materials use the external plate, which is fucking awful no matter where it’s made.
[/quote]

I believe they were made in the US with foreign material. I DO own another pair of the $400 Logger style insulated Red Wing boots with composite toe that were made all USA, but they are more appropriate for heavy outdoor work.

I always had good luck with Rockies for outdoor boots, never tried them as a work shoe.

One thing to keep in mind in those Minnesota winters are steel toes are cold, might want to look into composites.

[quote]kineticj wrote:
I have been happy with my last two pairs of Rocky steel toes. Both have seen hard use for several years and are still going strong. Both have the kevlar/rubber/whateveritis toe cap that keeps the leather/material over the steel toe from splitting. I think these toecaps go a long way towards extending the life of workboots.[/quote]

My shop just went to steel toes as well. I went with the Rockys as well. Mine are all black. Mostly comfy for a work boot. Night and day between a reg. Boot and these. These feel heavily superior in strength and rigidity. Worn mine for about 10 monthsnjow w. Favorable wear on the outside.this workin 10 hrs plus a day. Id recommend some insoles under the stock ones for added comfort. In my case high arc soles.