T Nation

Steak - It's What's For Dinner!

What do you guys find are the more cost-effective cuts of steak when building?

I assume you want low fat (there will always be SOME fat). And if you’re going to eat it a lot, you don’t want the priciest cuts in the case. But nobody wants dog meat, either.

Recommendations?

4% fat ground steak is probably more cost effective than a regular steak if you’re looking at cost per lb of protein.

For my money, you can’t beat Eye of Round. Most stores in my area usually have this on sale often. Buy it as a roast and you’ll save even more.

London broil is another great, cost effective cut that’s really lean.

my local market has 7% ground beef on sale for 2 bucks a lb. I also have a raincheck to another market for $.59/lb pork sirloin roasts (bone in).

This week I plan on combining the two and making this again: http://student.ucr.edu/~dshad001/chili.html

im cheap

if at all possible develope a relationship with a real butcher.

beyond that i try not to consider inferior meat so “cost effective” to me means buying in volume and doing some cutting and trimming myself.cryovac and freeze. the easiest way to go is to buy whole beef tenderloin. invest in a cryovac type sealer, maybe a scale and you’re set to go. you can do a tenderloin w/ a chef’s knife but a filet knife is sweet to have. the cash you save on meat will pay for the sealer in no time. plus you get to practice some knife skills and enjoy better quality beef along the way- for less money at the end of the day.

How does a Cryovac compare to a FoodSaver?