Steak Cuts

Bone in ribeye gentleman…bone in ribeye!

Top Round
Flank Steak
Cube Steak
Eye Round
Sirloin TIP
Bottom Round
Top Sirloin

Those are the main available ones in your local supermarket. Also try 95% or better lean ground beef if you can.

With the steak cuts though… The leaner they are, the more tough and chewy they are. So BRAISE THEM.

Braise: Cook in 1/2 liquid, 1/2 dry heat.

1 LB Bottom Round, Sliced
1 Sliced Onion
1 Chopped Carrot
2 Sticks Chopped Celery
Salt
Oregano
Parsley
Thyme
Basil
Water

1. Preheat oven to 350. Lay out the sliced steaks in a baking pan. Lots of salt, add all herbs on top of steaks.

2. Brown the onions, carrots and celery in a pan with a lil tiny bit of olive oil. Like 1 TBSP. Med Heat.

3. After they brown, Add them to the baking pan.

4. After everything is in the pan, add water up to half of the height of the steaks(maybe about an inch of water in the pan.)

Cook until desired doneness or 25 mins.

Not they’ll be tender and will taste WUNDERBARR!

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
Top Round
Flank Steak
Cube Steak
Eye Round
Sirloin TIP
Bottom Round
Top Sirloin

Those are the main available ones in your local supermarket. Also try 95% or better lean ground beef if you can.

With the steak cuts though… The leaner they are, the more tough and chewy they are. So BRAISE THEM.

1 Sliced Onion
1 Chopped Carrot
2 Sticks Chopped Celery
Salt
Oregano
Parsley
Thyme
Basil
Water

1. Preheat oven to 350. Lay out the sliced steaks in a baking pan. Lots of salt, add all herbs on top of steaks.

2. Brown the onions, carrots and celery in a pan with a lil tiny bit of olive oil. Like 1 TBSP. Med Heat.

4. After everything is in the pan, add water up to half of the height of the steaks(maybe about an inch of water in the pan.)

Not they’ll be tender and will taste WUNDERBARR![/quote]

Trying this suggestion this weekend. Can’t wait for WUNDERBARR.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
I don’t eat steak that often, but when i do i get the good stuff even if it is fatty. I don’t know how some people can eat a good steak like a ribeye, new york, and porterhouse then go and eat something like a round steak. My favorite cuts are probably ribeye and tri-tip, a couple of the most fattiest cuts!![/quote]

Yeah I always go for the fattiest. A big slab of marbled ribeye is the tastiest. I still eat it about once a week but IMO a variety of fats is good for you and unless you’re trying to cut calories might as well take the fat.

I’m a big fan of tenderloin too.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
Top Round
Flank Steak
Cube Steak
Eye Round
Sirloin TIP
Bottom Round
Top Sirloin

1 Sliced Onion
1 Chopped Carrot
2 Sticks Chopped Celery
Salt
Oregano
Parsley
Thyme
Basil
Water

Not they’ll be tender and will taste WUNDERBARR![/quote]

Trying this suggestion this weekend. Can’t wait for WUNDERBARR.[/quote]

NP brother, just remember… SALT!!!

And you can let it go in the oven for an hour if you want. The more time in the braising liquid the more tender(tenderer?) it will be.

^^ That’s even better if you use beer instead of water. That goes for stew and pot roast too. And a splash of cider vinegar FTW.

[quote]Therizza wrote:

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:
another question could be how to cook certain steaks? [/quote]

marinade and sear the outside of the steak on a grill. enjoy the cow flesh.[/quote]

Hell Yeah!

Ribeye. Ribeye. Ribeye. Ribeye! Ribeye.

Rub it with some salt and pepper, sear, then drizzle on some olive oil and a squirt of lemon juice and you have got the best piece of meat you have ever put in your mouth.

Insert clever double entendre here.

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/192697/Premium-Steak-Guide.html

just a little educational video, for the steak lovers. I personally love porterhouse, its tender, has a little bit of fat on it for flavor and no where near the price of rib eyes and NY. Mmmm…you just cant beat a medium rare steak…

Strungoutboy: “Who all seen tha leprechaun say YEAHHHHH” lmao “It kuld be a crackkheeyydd”

GREAT avatar… i lol’d

I love how the OP asked about lean cuts of steak, and half of you guys are like RIBEYE MID SIRLOIN FILET MIGNON.

Lean steak is good and good for you, and if done right, can and will taste excellent.

And on another note, unless you already have high blood pressure, Salt is OPTIMAL for muscle growth and nutrient transport.

Since salt retains water, it enables your body to have a better flowing “conduit” for delivery of nutrients to repairing muscles.

And for you powerlifting types out there, I’m sure you all know about “Salting-up” before a meet. The salt expands muscle fiber size through water retention, therefore making your muscle able to support more weight on mere physics alone.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
I love how the OP asked about lean cuts of steak, and half of you guys are like RIBEYE MID SIRLOIN FILET MIGNON.

Lean steak is good and good for you, and if done right, can and will taste excellent.

And on another note, unless you already have high blood pressure, Salt is OPTIMAL for muscle growth and nutrient transport.

Since salt retains water, it enables your body to have a better flowing “conduit” for delivery of nutrients to repairing muscles.

And for you powerlifting types out there, I’m sure you all know about “Salting-up” before a meet. The salt expands muscle fiber size through water retention, therefore making your muscle able to support more weight on mere physics alone.[/quote]

Love it. I am fine hearing about everyone’s favorite cuts, and glad that this has turned into more of a general discussion on steak. I am just looking to enjoy the leaner cuts to maintain my BF%, but to each his own. Enjoy what you enjoy.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

And for you powerlifting types out there, I’m sure you all know about “Salting-up”[/quote]

POWERBLOAT!

I’m from Santa Maria, CA. They’re famous for BBQ Beef TriTip (a special cut of beef that wasn’t availble commercially hardly anywhere outside of Santa Barbara County until the last decade or two). BBQ that over red oak wood and add seasoning salt and BAM! serve with pinquito beans, salad, sourdough bread sliced, baked and the crusted part dipped in butter. I love that stuff. I grew up eating BBQ tritip 3-4 times a week. Awesome food my parents cook. I was pretty lucky.

[quote]Therizza wrote:

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

And for you powerlifting types out there, I’m sure you all know about “Salting-up”[/quote]

POWERBLOAT![/quote]

Exactly!

It’s a great way to get a new PR.

Steak is good. Period.

I think all the steak cooking comps use a NY Strip, which I believe to be the single best peice of meat one can consume if it is cooked at the hands of a good grillmaster (like myself). It’s pretty lean and besides the price, there is no reason to NOT get a NY Strip. Sirloin is Probably the #2 grilling steak as far as overall steakyness and quality and it’s a little leanher than a NY strip. BOTH need to be cooked medium rare or else you are ruining a good peice of meat.

Here is a simple way to get medium rare. You might have to adjust the numbers slightly depending on your individual grill. First, the meat has to be thawed, if you freeze your meat take it out and put it in the refridgerator the night before. THEN let it get to room temp before you throw it on the grill. I usually take my steak out and put it on the couinter 45 min prior to grilling. Salt and pepper both sides to your tastes.

Preheat your grill on medium high for about 5 minutes. Throw the steaks on the grill and close the lid for 5 minutes. At 5 minutes open the grill quickly and flip the steaks, close the grill. Here is where there can be some variation. Depending on how hot your medium high is on your grill, and how thick of a cut the steaks are, I am generally cooking a 1.5 - 2" thinck peice of meat and I go 5 minutes on the back end. I will go 4 if it’s a little thinner or 6 if it’s a little thicker.

When you open the grill for the second time, have a plate with tin foil on it. use your finger and push on the steak, you can do this with tongs if you want, I do it with tongs. the meat should give but not be soft. After you get a few right, you will know the feeling. Take the meat off and wrap it in the aluminium foil, don’t touch it for 5-10 minutes.

When you are plating, then remove the steak from the foil, put it on the plate and eat or add steaksauce or whatever. That is how you grill a perfect medium rare steak every time. I personally don’t put anything on mine, the taste of steak is already perfect.

V

NY Strip. Beutiful!

V

Ohhhh Daddy Like!

V

Here is the top sirloin, see less marbling.

V