T Nation

Steady State Cardio Alternatives

OK, so my cardio up til now has consisted of 30 minute runs 2 or 3 times per week (I average 6.0 mph on each run). I’m not sure if that’s enough to put me in a catabolic state…but if it is, what are some alternatives I could be doing? I’m looking for something that massively aids my cardiovascular system, and that burns as much fat as possible while interfering the least with muscle growth.

Incline walking. I want my HR in the 120-30ish area, so I walk 3.0 MPH @ a 10 degree incline. Your mileage may vary.

There are too many variables that come into play here to give an exact answer.

Are you gaining the LBM that you want?

c’mon you’ve been around long enough to see HIIT, circuit training, crossfit, and all that other stuff. I hate to say can’t but you can’t MASSIVELY increase your cardio vascular system, and build a ton of muscle at the same time. Cycle the 2, sprint outside

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Incline walking. I want my HR in the 120-30ish area, so I walk 3.0 MPH @ a 10 degree incline. Your mileage may vary.[/quote]

how far are you going, and how long do you do it for at a whack?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
There are too many variables that come into play here to give an exact answer.

Are you gaining the LBM that you want?[/quote]

yeah, I suppose. I just feel like I’d be gaining more without the 6 miles of running every week.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
c’mon you’ve been around long enough to see HIIT, circuit training, crossfit, and all that other stuff. I hate to say can’t but you can’t MASSIVELY increase your cardio vascular system, and build a ton of muscle at the same time. Cycle the 2, sprint outside[/quote]

yeah, I’ve heard of them, but don’t know how to put them into practice.