Staying Tight on Heavy Deadlifting

[quote]Oreillbc wrote:

So I wanted to see what you all do for making sure you keep your core tight, pull your hips through etc etc…

This may be a warm-up technique, a mental trick or having someone scream at your ass.

Just curious as to what else is out there for techniques.

Hey Brian,
Brendan here, is this the same Brian who trained with me, Russ, damon, and kavon at Golds? Maybe, maybe not. Anyhow, here is what I do to stay tight. first i find it helpful to be somewhat full, at least not hungry. If i am, and I believe it is because there is less stuff in my stomach it is harder to stay tight, Maybe it is mental who knows. Next thing I do is make sure the belt is tight, i actually exhale completely when tightening the belt, I might be able if my life depended on it go one more notch but personally i feel the belt can be too tight and negatively impact performance. i then wait a minute or too and catch my breath and psyche for the lift. After I go up to the bar, I squat down and grip it, during this time I am breathing normally and my butt is up in the air really high. If I deadlifted from this position it would be a round back sldl. When ready, I take a giant breath in which tends to naturally push my abs out against the belt, then I dip and deadlift. I start to breath out as the bar starts moving up, and just sort of breathe out naturally. Like I don’t think ok I need to breathe out at this phase of the lift, it just sort of happens. each rep I reset my form too, like don’t do bounce reps. This has successfully allowed me to stay tight. I tend to pull in sort of a hybrid sumo conventional lift in that I pull sumo but use my back as a lever, I am not completely upright like most sumo pullers. I find if I start with shoulders back the lift is all hips and no power. Anyhow, I digress, let me know how this works [/quote]

Yo Brendan, this is the same Brian.

Thanks for the tips! I sent you a PM too!

I have a similar problem to the OP. I’ve had a lower left back problem on and off for about 4 years. I recently started heavy deads and squats again and my third week in, I knew my back was messed up again. Havent been able to work out for a week and a half.

I was doing a lot of kettlebell and pull up work for before I had started this heavy dead/squat routine. I’m thinkin my form is off but I"m getting my back looked at today. It’s killin me to not be able to work out because of this shit.

[quote]ranbir013 wrote:
I have a similar problem to the OP. I’ve had a lower left back problem on and off for about 4 years. I recently started heavy deads and squats again and my third week in, I knew my back was messed up again. Havent been able to work out for a week and a half.

I was doing a lot of kettlebell and pull up work for before I had started this heavy dead/squat routine. I’m thinkin my form is off but I"m getting my back looked at today. It’s killin me to not be able to work out because of this shit.[/quote]

Get in touch with Jesse Burdick from Prevail fitness. He’s a PLer who does a lot of rehab stuff, and he’s in Northern California, too. Somewhere in the bay area, I think…

Rep range?

Bashing out some high reps with 75+% of my max has really helped me keep my form tight, as opposed to simply hitting singles or doubles. I completely reset the bar after each rep - a true DEAD lift.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
matsm21 wrote:
pull the slack out of the bar by pulling yourself down to it. lift your big toe up in your shoe and really sit back. the bar should scrap your shins/quads all the way up

yeah, good stuff mat…

I also think to myself “get under the bar” when pulling so I don’t go ass first up and haunch over the bar.

[/quote]

thats my main problem is letting my hips shoot up, and I know right away when it happens. It’s a little easier with a deadlift bar because it’ll bend more. You can pull it up an inch or 2 before the weight even moves. you have to be tight at that point!