Staying Motivated at Work?

[quote]DeterminedNate wrote:
This thread seems to apply to me. I graduated from a top 10 (not to mention expensive) business school in 2005. I worked as a financial analyst at a major bank making bank. I hated it. I was eventually fired.

My next job was in sales and I hated that as well. I left after a year, and now am at the point where I realize that maybe I’m just not cut out for cubicle life.

I’ve taken the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator and it yielded an INFP. The careers that best suit an “INFP” are teacher/counselor/psychologist.

I do feel naturally inclined towards those professions and most probably would want to be a professor or at least a lecturer.

The conflict I am having is whether to just leave my entire business education behind and get some sort of MA? Or to continue on with business hoping that I make some respectable cheddar somewhere down the line.

I’m kind of leaning towards what suits my personality best, and truly believe that will make me the most successful. But again, I am 24 years old, and by and large, have no idea what I’m talking about. Would I enjoy a professor’s salary with a wife and kids? Will I ever make it to professor? Will I get tenure? Do I love literature/psych enough to write published works? I’m not sure.

Any advice would help immensely. Thanks.[/quote]

People do this all the time. My friend got his business degree in accounting and was an accountant for 2 years. He hated it. Instead of trying to find jobs similar to accounting (which he figured he’d hate, too), he went back to school and got an different degree and job in an unrelated field. He’s a much happier man now.

Don’t be worried about salary, tenure, becoming a professor, etc. Those ‘risks’ exist with every profession.

If you really believe you won’t be happy long term, then go back to school. Find something else that makes you happy.

If there’s anything life has taught me, it’s that not writing my posts in txt speak affords me more respect than if I use shit like “ur” or “i”.

Capitalize and punctuate, and you will prosper in life.

Just think ‘I’m glad I fucking have a job’ then do your work.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Just think ‘I’m glad I fucking have a job’ then do your work. [/quote]

What if you’re this guy?

[quote]Tithonus81 wrote:
shizen wrote:
Just think ‘I’m glad I fucking have a job’ then do your work.

What if you’re this guy?

I’m sure that guy gets paid really well, also its better then having nothing. You have to support the fun things you enjoy in life, or your family as well as food shelter ext. So many people don’t have jobs especially in this shitty market it is now. So if you have anything you should feel privileged.

No job is perfect, the people searching for that job end up never getting a job.

If you have a good job making big money wtf wouldn’t you put up with it for a little while? Shit you could save enough money to start your own business or pay for education and living expenses so you can go back to school.

Some of you guys are fucking babies crying about how you don’t like your career while making good money. Go volunteer a year in the Peace Corp. maybe you’ll be more thankful when you get back to a 1st world country.

It’s ok to change careers but getting fired just because you did a crap job is terrible. “But I didn’t like it.” Thats like all of those people that say people with muscle use roids/genetics or any other excuse to cover up their laziness.