T Nation

Staying in Shape When Hurt

I have a pulled quad and can’t exert myself on it for four weeks. Does anybody have a way of keeping endurance up when you can’t do traditional styles of training like jogging or riding a bike? Oh and I don’t have access to a punching bag. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well most important of all will be for you to not overeat during this time as it’s often the case. Keep your diet clean and reduce the calories slightly to compensate for being more sedetary and you’re set.

Maybe you could try jumping rope with one leg only. Obviously your uninjured leg will get much stronger and gain more endurance, but then when your other leg recovers you can build it up.

No punching bag? How about shadow boxing with just your bare fists (working on speed) or shadow boxing with gloves. You can also create a circuit out of these and add chin-ups and dips or pushups with one leg on the floor.

If I remember correctly from ZEB’s chin-up thread (which was extremely helpful BTW), he said that once you get into doing chin-ups with very high repetitions (i.e. 20+) you get somewhat of a cardiovascular effect. I would assume that you can try doing high repetition supersets of chin-ups and dips to maintain endurance.

Coach Staley (I think) also wrote an article before on “cardio” work over at another site where he put high-repetition snatches as a good substitute.

Maybe you could even try a circuit of dips, chin-ups, high-rep dumbbell/kettlebell snatches and one legged rope jumping.

-ton

Windskater,
Here’s an esoteric suggestion, but as a kendoist with ankle instability, I still get great C-V workouts from swinging the bokken. In fact, it’s saving my fitness level right now.

A bokken (wooden sword) is all of 10-15 bucks and you can find web sites that offer very basic intruction on the basic strikes. I don’t think you’ll learn proper technique optimally this way but performing 50 swings in each of the basics (men, kote, do, ski) is a way to keep exerting yourself in a meaningful way.

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
Windskater,
Here’s an esoteric suggestion, but as a kendoist with ankle instability, I still get great C-V workouts from swinging the bokken. In fact, it’s saving my fitness level right now.

A bokken (wooden sword) is all of 10-15 bucks and you can find web sites that offer very basic intruction on the basic strikes. I don’t think you’ll learn proper technique optimally this way but performing 50 swings in each of the basics (men, kote, do, ski) is a way to keep exerting yourself in a meaningful way.
[/quote]

Hey Dr. Lowery, it’s funny that you mentioned weapons training as cardio. I just remembered that when I used to train for tri-sectional staff forms I would get as winded as running 400meter sprints. I think the best way to do them withouth hurting oneself (too badly that is) is by donig flowers.

The way I learned flowers was first practice with a regular staff. Then, once I got that down, I progressed to maintaining momentum of the tri-sectional staff and finally to doing flower and uppercuts and back to flowers.

Just don’t be too afraid of the staff otherwise you’ll clobber your head (both of them!!!). Also, I started off with a foam tri-sectional staff (used the wooden ones for demos though).

Good luck.

-ton