T Nation

Staying Big Year Round

My first post, I’ve been reading daily for a couple of years
I’m 22 years old
5,7 tall
173 pounds
11-12% bodyfat.

I am currently natural?

However I wonder how do so many people stay huge all year around?
I’ve had a coupe cycles and I get my weight up to 190pounds and when i go off i get down to about 170 ish, Ive tried eating way too many calories and ended up with 24% bodyfat and 185 pounds.

How do so many people stay big year around? Because at 173 I look like I lift but I look small.

You don’t go from 170 lbs to 200 lbs by eating like a 200 lb person all at once, unless you want to be a fat 200 lb guy. You have to become 172, then 175, then 188 and so on.

Eat clean and find your maintenance calories, then eat a little bit more while getting stronger.

You’re not sure? Better check if someone’s spiking your food with Abombs. Happened to one of the vets here formerly known as Reed from young. He now has an over 600lb squat and is currently beginning his next Becoming as… Heavy Metal Dick.

Terrible side effects.

[quote]However I wonder how do so many people stay huge all year around?
I’ve had a coupe cycles and I get my weight up to 190pounds and when i go off i get down to about 170 ish, Ive tried eating way too many calories and ended up with 24% bodyfat and 185 pounds. [/quote]

Yes it happens. It’s called water weight. And your diet sucks. I’m sure your training routine does too. Post them.

By getting bigger. Or staying on year long. Unless your food is really being spiked with Abombs. Then you must embrace the Becoming.

[quote]swolecalves wrote:
My first post, I’ve been reading daily for a couple of years
I’m 22 years old
5,7 tall
173 pounds
11-12% bodyfat.

I am currently natural?

However I wonder how do so many people stay huge all year around?
I’ve had a coupe cycles and I get my weight up to 190pounds and when i go off i get down to about 170 ish, Ive tried eating way too many calories and ended up with 24% bodyfat and 185 pounds.

How do so many people stay big year around? Because at 173 I look like I lift but I look small.

[/quote]
Your numbers don’t add up. 173 at 12% BF gives you about 152 LBM, and 185 at 24% gives you 140 LBM. so you gain weight, and lose LBM. I think your 12% is probably the one that is off.

First of all, after having done cycles, you are no longer natural, you are just not currently using. If you lose all that weight after you get off you are probably gaining alot of water weight and not doing a proper post cycle and loosing all your gains. Can you describe your cycles. I think you need to focus on nutrition and work your butt off on a decent program instead of yo-yoing on and off poor cycles. You are only 22.

More than a few cycle under your belt, not even 180lbs, and you lose all your gains when you are off gear. Whether you wanna hear it or not here it is. You have no fucking clue what your doing in the gym or kitchen or even more likely both. I am a inch shorter than you and around 225-230 and stay there year around and make constant strength gains. How you ask? Because I know what I am doing in the kitchen and gym.

I thought I was in the steroid section lol.

Wow so much hate, so much hate.
My stats now are comparable to the best natural bbers, Ive only cycled once a year
500mg test e , hcg throughout and standard nolva/clomid.

I was asking for help not beeing talked shit to.
I’m not even going to go down to your level…

However, training is constantly changing currently doing 3x week full body split, every 3 week I do bodybuilding routine.
But I constantly change this up to see what works.

Diet is 30/60/10 prot, carb, fat at 3300 maintance. Every time i push it to 3500-3700 my waist get bigger and its 72cm atm. thats 28,3 inches. arms at 15 and tighs at 23,6. And my bodyfat is tested regulary.

My goal is to be at 185-200 with my waist under 30 inches.

You didn’t get hate you got what you needed to hear. Don’t like it I nor any one here cares. Have a good day.

My stats now are comparable to the best natural bbers, Ive only cycled once a year

However, training is constantly changing currently doing 3x week full body split, every 3 week I do bodybuilding routine.

Diet is 30/60/10 prot, carb, fat at 3300 maintance. Every time i push it to 3500-3700 my waist get bigger and its 72cm atm. thats 28,3 inches. arms at 15 and tighs at 23,6. And my bodyfat is tested regulary.

[/quote]
Not hate, just honesty. I highly doubt your stats are comparable to best natural BBers. We have somewhat comparable stats, and I am nowhere near top natural BBers. Left thigh 23.5" (right a little smaller due to surgeries), arms 15.25" cold flexed, waist 28", height 5’6.5" 158 lbs, and less bodyfat than you. Oh, and I am natural.

If you are changing up your routine every three weeks, you will never find what works. Things take time. Also, try getting less carbs and more fat if you add to your abdomen when you gain weight.

It may not be nice to hear it but Reed and the others make a good point, you must seriously need to sort your diet and training out. Also don’t kid yourself, no way are your stats comparable to the best natural bodybuilders. I’m the same age as you and my legs are a good 2 inches bigger, and that’s coming from a ‘powerlifter’ who doesn’t train for size at all, oh and yes I’m natural.

Not saying that to brag or to put you down but I think you need a slight reality check. If you want the help of the guys on here, and they do know their shit, then I’d suggest posting up your training routines and any other info you can think of and I’m sure some of the more knowledgeable guys will be more than happy to try and help you figure out what’s going wrong.

My stats now are comparable to the best natural bbers, [/quote]

Wow, Not even close. Like others have said, not hate, but honesty. If you’re losing all of your “gains” by coming off, then it’s pretty easy to see that you didn’t build what you thought you did. There’s a huge difference between being “big” and being muscular.

Swallow you pride, take a program and stick with it, none of this I like to switch things up crap, or else you never know what’s working and what’s not, and learn to eat with an analytical eye and some long term comitment.

You’re young, put in the work now.

S

I get my weight up to 190pounds and when i go off i get down to about 170 ish[/quote]
This is the first thing you’re doing wrong. (Shows you don’t know how to handle your nutrition and/or training.)

This is the second thing you’re doing wrong. (Confirms you don’t know how to handle your nutrition and/or training.)

This is the third thing you’re doing wrong. (As we’ve confirmed, you don’t know how to handle your basic diet and/or training, so you’re in no position to be cycling. Also, LOL at you being on par with “the best natural bbers”, especially after a [failed] cycle. Feel free to toss up a decent pic and I’ll apologize.)

This is the fourth thing you’re doing wrong. (Triple-confirms that you don’t know how to handle your training. Program-hopping is not what successful lifters do.)

This is the fifth thing you’re doing wrong. (If you gain a ton of fat on a high carb diet, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to consider dropping your carbs.)

This is the sixth thing you’re doing wrong. (A - That’s a huge bodyweight range and a super-vague target. B - based on just that, you’re only about 10 pounds away from reaching your “goal” right now. You can absolutely gain 10 pounds without adding 2 inches to your waist, if you’re not a spaz.)

lets be real 5’7 173 is weak sauce

I know women who weigh this much

Ya with those stats I wouldn’t tell anyone you’ve used steroids. Sounds like you’d do yourself a lot of good if you worried more about nutrition and a legitimate training routine, and dropped the cycles and ego.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[/quote]
Not hate, just honesty. I highly doubt your stats are comparable to best natural BBers. We have somewhat comparable stats, and I am nowhere near top natural BBers. Left thigh 23.5" (right a little smaller due to surgeries), arms 15.25" cold flexed, waist 28", height 5’6.5" 158 lbs, and less bodyfat than you. Oh, and I am natural.

If you are changing up your routine every three weeks, you will never find what works. Things take time. Also, try getting less carbs and more fat if you add to your abdomen when you gain weight. [/quote]

How long it take you to get to that weight? and where did you start at? I am curious because I am a little shorter than you, and I weigh a little more, Im not as lean as you are though.

[quote]Young33 wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[/quote]

If you are changing up your routine every three weeks, you will never find what works. Things take time. Also, try getting less carbs and more fat if you add to your abdomen when you gain weight. [/quote]

How long it take you to get to that weight? and where did you start at? I am curious because I am a little shorter than you, and I weigh a little more, Im not as lean as you are though.
[/quote]

While waiting for the man himself to answer, check out this thread where he goes in depth about his bench training and diet.

[quote]Young33 wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Most of my adult life, hovered between 155-165. I lifted in the mid 90’s in high school, but very little until summer 2011. In spring 2012, I cut down to 140.8, my lightest and leanest as an adult (and my rock climbing skyrocketed.) In Nov 2013, I was 148, and measured my arms for the first time ever…14". I started doing more direct arm work then.

This spring, I floated between 150-152, but about 8 weeks ago, started seriously trying to bulk for the first time in my life, since USAPL is going to IPF weight classes. I had been competing in the 67.5 kg category (148.8 lbs) but starting in January, I would need to be either 66kg or 74kg.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
In Nov 2013, I was 148, and measured my arms for the first time ever…14". I started doing more direct arm work then.[/quote]
What did you personally find worked for you with that? I’m not even at 14" :frowning: But I’ve also never really trained them directly.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
In Nov 2013, I was 148, and measured my arms for the first time ever…14". I started doing more direct arm work then.[/quote]
What did you personally find worked for you with that? I’m not even at 14" :frowning: But I’ve also never really trained them directly.
[/quote]

In January I did CT’s chinup challenge, and totaled over 1500 chinups in 4 weeks, and that gave about 3/4 inch. Started doing more curls and direct tricep and bicep work at the end of 2-3 workouts per week.