Staying Awake During Class

I simply CANNOT stay awake during my two latest classes: Calculus Lecture (2:20-3:40) and Anthorpology (5:20-6:40). I get up at around 7 AM for my first classes (All at 8 AM).

What do you think is causing my problem? Anyway to fix it?

[quote]DtotheG wrote:
I simply CANNOT stay awake during my two latest classes: Calculus Lecture (2:20-3:40) and Anthorpology (5:20-6:40). I get up at around 7 AM for my first classes (All at 8 AM).

What do you think is causing my problem? Anyway to fix it?[/quote]

NAP!! after your early class go back to bed…i have a smiliar schedule at college, just without the 520 class…i come back and pass out from 9-12,wake up, take a shower, than im good for the rest of the day…make sure your eating good meals too, sip on a protein shake throughout those classes as well just to keep the protein intake coming in…good luck bro

The problem are the classes. Fear of failing kept me awake in calc. I never stayed awake much in anthro though, even though it was kinda interesting at times.

Just bring something with caffeine and you’ll be good to go… for most days.

I had the same problem, but for just about every class I ever had. I’m not kidding.

Drink coffee or caffeinated tea at intervals throughout the day. Always have a bottle of water - it gives you something to do when you feel really sleepy. Take really detailed notes in an organization other than just one line after another on the page.

Just do anything to stay active. A lot of people get tired when they sit down and stop doing anything. Just sittting there and listening isn’t going to do it for you.

[quote]DtotheG wrote:

In college, I always got tired around 2-3 in the afternoon also. Here is what I did. First, I made sure I got enough sleep (at least 8 hours). For lunch, I had a small meal consisting mainly of protein. If there were carbs in it, I made sure to eat the protein first. Definitely don’t eat a big, carb-laden meal for lunch. I sat close to the front and tried to actively participate (not necessarily speak out, but take notes and try to learn things as the prof was teaching them). The last thing you can do is try to keep some part of your body moving at all times (finger-tapping, leg-shaking, etc). Just by keeping that going, you won’t fall asleep. (This can be annoying to other students, so try to do it surreptitiously.)

[quote]DtotheG wrote:

Well with all the precise history you documented let me offer a diagnosis (okay sarcasm off). Could be a plethora of reason so I won’t venture a guess on the cause, but I will offer a cure. Try Spike Shooter or Spike tablets and you shall see improvement!

D

I get real jittery when I use 2 Spike tablets, I feel like I must exercise or I’ll puke. When I use one I don’t really feel much an effect so choose wisely.

Are the teachers mainly lecturing the whole class? That happened to me in biology in high school, he’d be lecturing for the whole class(generally 2 hours), making us take notes. I ended up stopped paying attention and I ended that class with a 91 on my final and a 94 on report card. Maybe you need to be challenged a bit more in class, trying following along in the book or something. Because if it is boring, you will just be in lala land even with caffeine.

I’ve been there, and looking back I should’ve slept 8-10 hours per night. Do you sleep that much? If not, try that before you do anything else.

I brought some tea with me to class, and I managed to stay awake and take notes.

I have not been able to stay awake in class since high school…and I made it through college and all.

Anytime you put me in a warm room in a chair with someone droning on about something, I pass out. Couldn’t help it…just tried to do my best to stay awake.

I just started to go stand in the back of class, and take notes there…its a lot harder to fall asleep while standing.

[quote]Raimisch wrote:
I just started to go stand in the back of class, and take notes there…its a lot harder to fall asleep while standing.[/quote]

Yeah, but these classes have plenty of seating, and I’ll look retarded if I stand up.

“Why am I standing up? Because I’ll fall asleep from your droning if I don’t”

These are all legitmately good suggestions. Luckily I don’t have either of these classes until Tuesday, but I’ll keep it in mind for any other classes that I find to fall asleep in.

Modafinil.

Its a question of not sleeping enough. Try to sleep more at night or before class as suggested. THat will remedy your problem it, the caffeine and spike
will temporarily help it.

As I got older I learned this the hard way.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
etaco wrote:
Modafinil.

A ha, a fellow convert… Yes OP, 200mg of modafinil, and one Spike will give you a laser-like focus to studying. Whether that be sitting up in class and blurting out all the answers, 'cos you’re just so switched on, or sitting in a relatively noisy section of the library, but being able to effectively tune out the distractions, and study like a machine…

Also, make sure you get quality sleep. I use melatonin for this @ 3mg just before bed.[/quote]

The only way that I’ve found it possible to stay awake in “boring” classes is to incessantly take notes throughout the lecture.

Literally try to summarize and note every sentence/paragraph the teacher says and you’ll see that time will fly and your grades will most likely improve.

[quote]DtotheG wrote:

Go to bed earlier. If you are like me when I was in college, I never went to bed before midnight (unless I passed out). I had the same problem with Shakespear class. I hate that crap (which is funny because I have a BA in English). Anyway, for the first two weeks I fell asleep every in every class. My solution was to stop by the bookstore on the way to class and get a jumbo sized Mountain Dew.

The best solution is to just go to bed earlier and take a 20-30 minute nap in the afternoon.

[quote]DtotheG wrote:

Oh, and don’t try No-Doze or Vivarin. Tried that my freshman year for about a week. You build up a really bad tolerance to that stuff really quickly.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
I get real jittery when I use 2 Spike tablets, I feel like I must exercise or I’ll puke. When I use one I don’t really feel much an effect so choose wisely.
[/quote]

1.5. You can break the tablets in half, you know.

That said, yeah, stand in the back of the room. I’ve done it before on days where I’ve lost sleep the night before. Or, sit in front of the room, right in front of the teacher, you’ll try harder to stay awake.
Two of my professors have both said standing has worked, and it worked for them while they’re were in college. Chances are, most professors have heard it before, and wont think you’re retarded. If anything, they’ll realize you’re putting more effort into paying attention in class.

I used to doze off all the time in my classes. Then I got to thinking, if I was going to sleep, I may as well do it at home, so then I just started skipping classes. I don’t recommend this approach, because you then have to learn the whole course in the week before finals.

In my calculus class, I would show up the class before an exam because the TA would basically go over the things to emphasize for the exam study. This caught up to me about 2/3 through the semester when I showed up the class before the exam (per the schedule put out in the syllabus) to find the entire class in silence with their noses in their books. I asked the guy next to me what was going on and he said the exam was moved up to that class. Apparently, the TA had changed the schedule the week before.

Needless to say, that exam ruined my perfect grade in the course (I had aced the two other exams up to that point). F-ing TA, what the hell was she thinking?

I also withdrew from another course (Int’l Macro Economics) that I slept through every single session. Hell, 8:30 am Spring semester courses in Syracuse sucked major ass, because you’d go from -15 degrees outside to an 85 degree classroom. And I rarely ate breakfast in college - stupid!!!

DB