T Nation

Stats for Football Player

hey all, I decided to play football this year, have never played it my entire life, but decided to start playing as i needed a switch from Rugby.

Just wondering on my stats what postion would I be good at.

5’10
95 kg roughly 200 pounds
40 yard - 5 seconds
15% BF - using a 4 site skinfold measurement

let me know what other info u need . THanks for the help in advance

Get a little faster and play d-end. Get a little bigger and play d-tackle. I prefer Defensive End though, fun as hell as long as your pretty quick

Water boy…just playin maybe linebacker do you like to play offense or defense

What position were you in rugby?

Why are you switching?

You could play tackling dummy.

Seriously I have no idea how old you are, or how competitive football is in NZ, so I can’t say.

If you are in high school you could play linebacker or fullback if you know how to hit. Or you could be an undersized OL/DL.

Your coaches will know where to put you.

it all depends on how competive and how large your team is. if your team is weak then you’ll probably end up playing line. im 5’ 10" 200lbs and I play DT, Guard, and occasionally noseguard. if you like hitting hard and making tackles then defense is where you want to play.

pick up a madden video game to learn the game.

I have a friend that played D1 football and then wanted to switch from football to rugby and found that the two are drastically different such that he was a fine physical specimen bu a poor rugby player for a long time.

You really need to learn the concepts of the game.

Not trying to be insulting, but this is a really silly question. Football is like any other sport. Yeah being big, strong and fast is important, but the game is about reaction, instinct and feel. And, you’re pretty slow and not that big and have no experience with the game so I doubt you have much instinct or feel for the game. Are you trying to play at a high level or is this just some flag football league with your buddies?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Not trying to be insulting, but this is a really silly question. Football is like any other sport. Yeah being big, strong and fast is important, but the game is about reaction, instinct and feel. And, you’re pretty slow and not that big and have no experience with the game so I doubt you have much instinct or feel for the game. Are you trying to play at a high level or is this just some flag football league with your buddies?[/quote]

This is all a really good point, but, in my experience football is one of those sports where strength/athleticism can make up for lack of experience. Not saying OP will go out and be an all star with a 5 second 40. But, he does have a chance at some PT if he is a quick learner and somewhat athletic.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Not trying to be insulting, but this is a really silly question. Football is like any other sport. Yeah being big, strong and fast is important, but the game is about reaction, instinct and feel. And, you’re pretty slow and not that big and have no experience with the game so I doubt you have much instinct or feel for the game. Are you trying to play at a high level or is this just some flag football league with your buddies?[/quote]

This is all a really good point, but, in my experience football is one of those sports where strength/athleticism can make up for lack of experience. Not saying OP will go out and be an all star with a 5 second 40. But, he does have a chance at some PT if he is a quick learner and somewhat athletic. [/quote]

I agree with you that being just strong and fast has probably more carryover to football than any other sport, but if you can’t read a play or react on the fly - not to mention the willingness and ability to deliver and/or take a hit - then all of the strength and speed in the world really doesn’t matter much. I’m completely unfamiliar with rugby so don’t know how much it has or can have prepared him for the transition.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

This is all a really good point, but, in my experience football is one of those sports where strength/athleticism can make up for lack of experience. Not saying OP will go out and be an all star with a 5 second 40. But, he does have a chance at some PT if he is a quick learner and somewhat athletic. [/quote]

I agree with you that being just strong and fast has probably more carryover to football than any other sport, but if you can’t read a play or react on the fly - not to mention the willingness and ability to deliver and/or take a hit - then all of the strength and speed in the world really doesn’t matter much. I’m completely unfamiliar with rugby so don’t know how much it has or can have prepared him for the transition.[/quote]

I agree with white flash…but I say not a “skill position” being 5’10" 200lbs and running a 5 flat…cant be too explosive, or at all. that just doesnt cut it in California and im pretty sure it wont cut it in Texas…maybe in New Zealand it will since rugby is a bigger sport there

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

I agree with you that being just strong and fast has probably more carryover to football than any other sport, but if you can’t read a play or react on the fly - not to mention the willingness and ability to deliver and/or take a hit - then all of the strength and speed in the world really doesn’t matter much. I’m completely unfamiliar with rugby so don’t know how much it has or can have prepared him for the transition.[/quote]

I agree with white flash…but I say not a “skill position” being 5’10" 200lbs and running a 5 flat…cant be too explosive, or at all. that just doesnt cut it in California and im pretty sure it wont cut it in Texas…maybe in New Zealand it will since rugby is a bigger sport there[/quote]

this^^

those stats (height weight speed) arent very good to be honest. Unless you’re in highschool I dont know what shot you have at playing football? sorry man… but maybe you’re a highschool kid and in that case just go out there, get a feel for the game and let the coaches see what you can do. They’ll put you in the best position to maximize you’re talent.

.greg.

Also, OP: I hope what I and others have said is bumming you out. You can definitely improve your speed, body, skills if you put the work in. Just wanted to give an honest analysis. Best of luck.

EDIT: Meant to say isn’t bumming you out, but think my point got through anyway.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Also, OP: I hope what I and others have said is bumming you out. You can definitely improve your speed, body, skills if you put the work in. Just wanted to give an honest analysis. Best of luck.[/quote]

X2 I hope all us nay-sayers are driving u to “Believe and Become”…like WhiteFlash said you can help your self: 1.in the weight room (get strong as shit) 2.transfer that strenght into explosive training on the field and also in the weight room(turning that strength into speed)…we are just giving you what we know here in the states, and that is football is KING here… and there are kids, teenagers ,and men putting tons of time in to get strong as possible and fast as possible.

…One extra point, a couple of rugby players from New Zealand came to train at the facility I train at, and these guys were incredible athletes, get that I said rugby not football…so maybe you will not have much to compete with in New Zealand as far as American Footbal goes.

Couple of thoughts:

1. 5’10 200lbs can mean anything. There is a 5’10, 200lb fat man at my gym. There are also a TON of 5’10 200lbs division 1 college football players (think ‘most’ safety and Rbs)its about how those stats are put together.

2)Squat is from NZ so his 40 is actually 40m not yards. Secondly, rugby always tests from a standing start, not the NFL spend 3 months working on your track start stance. Sounds silly but makes a big difference. 4.5sec standing start in meters is international level moving! so this kid might not be that far off…

1. your position in rugby would help to know cause the skills you have might help us to suggest some American football positions. The contact skills of a 5’10 hooker would translate a lot different then the movement skills of a 5’10 2nd-5 when it come to finding a position in football.

2. your age and what level your trying to play would have a huge influence as well.

I played college football and international representative rugby so let me know if I can help

[quote]Rockland wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

2)Squat is from NZ so his 40 is actually 40m not yards.

[/quote]

No…he actually put 40 YARDS up there if you take a second look

[quote]Couple of thoughts:

2)Squat is from NZ so his 40 is actually 40m not yards.

No…he actually put 40 YARDS up there if you take a second look[/quote]

Yeah, good call, sorry there fellas. He also listed body fat, 15% at 200lbs so that gives an idea on what kind of weight he carrying.
Regardless, just trying to help the kid if he is serious

hey guys, thanks for the input. ahvent had much time to log on here, but just thought id let u guys know, iv been placed as a D lineman. Pre season has just started for us, and practise has been awesome. Gridiron isnt very big here in NZ , so we have all the worn out guys from the Rugby league/union season jumping into gridiron.

So in some cases i could have an advantage, but then again experience counts too. For rugby i played right wing in high school and half back for 2 seasons for a club.

Thanks again Guys

If you’re a Defensive End that rugby wing experience could serve you well. You’re going to be running full speed at some poor slob and trying to hit him hard enough to put him in the first row of seats.

DE and LB, two best positions in football.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:

DE and LB, two best positions in football.[/quote]

Agreed. Powerbacks are pretty sweet too. No better feeling than bringing the wood on some LB or Safety who think they are pretty hot stuff