T Nation

Statins: Inhibit Musclebuilding?

I recently learned to supplement COQ10 when taking this drug, and I am wondering how/if this drug may be hindering my attempts at putting on muscle, since I have noted in it’s possible side effects: “Muscle Tissue Damage, Muscle Pain, Muscle Inflammation”…

I’m wondering how this affects recovery and how it affects the type of training damage we intentionally create to build muscle, also if I’m misreading the pain signals from my muscles (I’ve recently injured a bicep tendon, something that never happened before using this medicine)…

Anyone have any info on this?..(Gettin’ old ain’t for wimps!:slight_smile:

I take Lipitor. Initially I had experienced some muscle ache but no longer.

No problem adding or maintaining muscle. Strength and size seemed to grow at the same rate as when not taking Lipitor.

I have had pain in one shoulder off and on since I was put on Lipitor. About a year ago. It comes and goes. I train pretty heavy. The doc says it’s not due to the Lipitor. I’m not so sure.

Also use CoQ10 and fish oil (Flameout). I was hoping the Flameout reduced the pain in my shoulder but it has not yet.

By the way I’m 43.

The CoQ10 supplements replace that which the statin drug reduces. So if you take enough, then there should not be that problem. The muscle issues are related to mitochondrial dysfunction from too little CoQ10.

Some suggest that 200mg be taken when using statin drugs. That probably covers the extreme needs that a few might need.

Fish oil is good, but that in itself would not solve a problem caused by too little CoQ10.

Also, as statin drugs greatly reduce cholesterol, there is a big impact on hormones for some, and that could cause problems with building of muscle from reduced testosterone. Libido can also be killed. And some get mental side effects.

[quote]hedo wrote:
I take Lipitor. Initially I had experienced some muscle ache but no longer.

I have had pain in one shoulder off and on since I was put on Lipitor. About a year ago. It comes and goes. I train pretty heavy. The doc says it’s not due to the Lipitor. I’m not so sure.

[/quote]

My cardiologist switched me from Pravachol to Crestor last November. Initially my tolerance was ok and numbers were great. However . . . over the five months I took Crestor before dumping it and going back to Pravachol, I developed two rather serious problems. One was a very painful myalgia in my right foot and both elbows. The second problem was a progressively worsening case of erectile dysfunction. When I realized that both problems started with my switch to Crestor, my regular doctor suggested going off statins for a week to 10 days to see what happens. The foot and elbow pain abated - it took 5 weeks for it to completely go away. Only tnen did I realize how painful it actually was.

I do not seem to have the same problem with Pravachol. My erectile dysfunction did not get better. I am now on Testesterone replacement - Testim Gel - and hoping that in time it will improve.

My cardiologist also told me that the myalgia could not be caused by Crestor . . . and the lipid tests were completely normal. Hogwash.

I’m a confirmed 67 year young cardio junkie and workoutaholic since my heart attacks and stent implant almost 5 years ago. It is wonderful to be able to do a workout without worrying about the nagging pain in my foot and elbows.

No one seems to be able to explain the selective nature of muscle pain with statins, but I have no doubt what caused mine.

Best of luck to you.

tbach

“No one seems to be able to explain the selective nature of muscle pain with statins, but I have no doubt what caused mine.”

The exact cause of muscle pain is known and has been known from the get go. See my post above on CoQ10

As for lack of sex drive… lipitor did that to my wife, caused skin hair and other problems. Cholesterol was reduced to 160. She stopped taking that and everything back to normal now. Steroidal hormones are made from cholesterol.

As for muscle problems… your heart is muscle.

A friend of mine in biochem told me that whether or not statins will cause all (or most anyway) of these problems depends almost entirely on a particular enzyme in the liver; some have more than enough of it to properly metabolize the drugs, some have far too little.

For those of you who are/were experiencing the side effects, were liver panels ever discussed by your doctor? I’m just curious, as this friend is doing bleeding edge research with the drugs and I was curious if this info was being discussed mainstream.

-Dan