T Nation

Static Holds as a Beyond Failure Intensity Technique

I’ve been training alone with my HIT routine. This limits my beyond failure options. So far my favorite is rest pause. After hitting failure I stop for 10 sec goto failure and repeat a second time. But I was thinking being that I can’t do forced reps, how about static holds To failure. For example even when I hit failure on the pullover machine, I can get another rep 1/3 to 1/2 way up. Would there be a benefit to holding that partial rep as long as possible to finish the set off?.

1 Like

I guess this brings up the age old question of how much beyond failure efforts are really productive vrs over kill. I used to do a set of 8 reps to momentary failure , where I couldn’t get another strict rep and then I’d cheat a few reps and then drop some weight and keep going and or have someone assist me getting a few more reps . By the end of that effort that body part would definitely be exhausted but was it over kill or not? I generally found it to be over kill and very hard to recover from. I’ve generally found extenders, drop sets etc etc after a set of legitimate failure to be counter productive.
Scott

1 Like

I think they have their place, but those of us who used them would have probably used them too much, too often and not taken into account the additional systematic stress by reducing volume and/or intensity elsewhere.

I can sure make myself sore doing that kind of stuff, and feel like crap for several days. But is it really productive? For me, mostly no…

Some trainers and organizations use it as a marketing gimmick: Look how bady we can kick your ass! We must be great trainers! Crossfit’s imagery for Pukie the Clown and Uncle Rhabo come to mind.

I appreciate the reply’s. Let me clarify my questions. I’m actually asking if the static holds at the end of a set would be as effective as a forced rep or negative being that I can’t do them. Obviously they must be used sparingly and with a mind towards recovery and progress.

I assume there would be some effect, similar to a forced rep or negative. After some period of time you would fail to hold the weight, and get a runaway negative for whatever range of motion was left. I think it would be pretty hard to quantify the relative effectiveness of any of these techniques. No harm in trying it for awhile, especially since you can’t use the alternatives anyway.

The reason for failure is fast twitch muscle fibers drop out of recruitment. There are still plenty of slow twitch available.
Contra Lateral negative-accentuated technique can finish with the fresh leg helping the fatigued leg with a 70% weight for endurance reps.

Yes. I have been using 10 reps in 60 seconds as a standard, i.e. ED’s 2 up/4 down, without counting each rep, and when I want to squeeze more effort out of a particular weight, lowering halfway and holding for 30 seconds.
Can’t say it makes a difference, other than keeping me from going stale in my workouts, and slowing down the weight progression. Which at this point in life is fine.