State of Hip Hop

Clipse - Eyes on Me feat Keri Hilson

this song is fire

Kid Cudi - Daps and Pounds

Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon

Whiz Khalifa - Ode to Naked Pop Stars (over that dude from Degrassi’s shit)

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Charles Hamilton [/quote]

This.

Says the guy who said bubba sparxx was a better rapper than eminem. STFU.

[quote]younggully wrote:
you just have to stop listening to the radio, you’re not going to hear hip hop on 97.1[/quote]

LOL.

“Hot nine-seven, blazin’ hip hop and R&B!”

Tasteless Class…

Occult Hip Hop…

[quote]Mack wrote:
Tasteless Class…

Occult Hip Hop…

- YouTube [/quote]

wtf is this shit

if you want to wait for nas, jay-z and eminem to make hiphop come back, you’re in for a long wait. The underground is where it’s at, artists who may never see that commercial success, but still produce hiphop for the love of it, now that’s hiphop, and it’s been around all the time…

Deltron 3030. Absolutely love these guys.

Del from Hieroglyphics, Dan the Automator, and Kid Koala. What’s not to love?

Some samples:

(This song is just ridiculous haha)

This thread is stupid. Really stupid.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
This comes up from time to time, and there’s still plenty of good shit out there. Kanye’s new album was fuckin fire, Jay Z continues to kick ass, Jeezy still comes out with good shit, TI’s album was excellent…

DOA was a great song as well. Jay knows how to do it. American Gangster is one of the best albums I’ve heard in a long time.

Just realize that there will always be a market for catchy tunes for girls to shake their asses to in the clubs. Doesn’t mean you have to listen to it though.[/quote]

Kanye’s new shit was garbage. Pure trash. TI is meh. I agree with you on Jay though.

I second the Heiro crew … Dilated Peoples have never let me down, J5

If you like MF Doom Madvillain and DangerDoom are great as is Viktor Vaughn …

I like Ghostface’s More Fish and FishScale mainly for the MF Doom produced tracks. The stuff Ghost did with Theordore Unit (718 and Put It on the Line) is good ass hip hop. Also, can’t wait for OBFCL2

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
This thread is stupid. Really stupid.[/quote]

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Mack wrote:
Tasteless Class…

Occult Hip Hop…

wtf is this shit[/quote]

a hip hop insider talking about the music industry.

I’ve seen a lot of people on here say that hip-hop isn’t dead, it’s just not on the radio or MTV. THAT is why hip-hop seems to be tailing off; the good shit’s not being listened to anymore. I remember when the good shit wasn’t underground. Enter the Wu Tang: 36 Chambers was underground, but it blew up after a year or two once it got around, but that doesn’t happen anymore.

I think it has a lot to do with a loss of emphasis on lyrical content and rapping ability. TI or Lil’ Wayne could never come close to the delivery of Nas or Raekwon. It seems that the shit being pushed by record companies places a heavy lyrical content on the material wealth of the rappers with all of this “up in da club” bullshit instead of larger themes like Public Enemy and Nas or more abstract shit like Wu Tang. I saw someone on here say something about how there will always be a bunch of bullshit hip-hop that chicks want to shake their ass to in the club. They used to shake their asses to good shit though, like these two songs.

For what it’s worth, I notice that a lot of white dudes and chicks listen to the bullshit, whereas blacks don’t. I have a lot of friends who are black, and none of them ever listen to Lil’ Wayne or TI or 50 Cent, but all my white friends who like hip-hop love those guys. If I ask them if they like Wu Tang or Heiroglyphics or Andre Nikatina or Nas, they’re like, yeah…I don’t really listen to them much.

SICKEST FREESTYLE EVER

Rap has gone to shit, but so has all of music, so don’t call be biased.

Lil Wayne is OK, has a few good rhymes here and there, but it’s really sad that, in a country of 300 million people, we can’t come up with anyone better.

Soulja Boy is the worst act I’ve ever heard.

The Eminem CD was diappointing.

It’s just really bad out there right now…

I don’t get all this hip hop is dead bull shit. Nas is a piece of shit, he’s talented but a piece of shit. Hip hop has never been dead, and never will die. It’s where it is most comfortable right now, the underground.

When you are getting paid too much money (unless you have nerves, and a mind of steel) most artists will be somewhat corrupted by their success. This will change their attitude, their music. For instance, Nas. He says hip hop is dead because soulja boy and t. pain are what’s being played on the radio. That’s complete bullshit. If you look at all you will find some of the most amazing MCs that have ever lived, making some of the most amazing music ever created, they just aren’t famous.

They aren’t making shit loads of money, so they need to be as talented as possible just to get by. This is the perfect breeding ground for amazing lyricists and producers. Just like artw said.
Examples:
Sivion
Spectac
L.E.G.A.C.Y.
9th Wonder
Blu & Exile
Grand Puba
Giant Panda
O.U.O. (Of Unknown Origin)
Krumb Snatcha
MoonShyne
Insight
Y@k Ballz
Headnodic
Cool Calm Pete
Surreal & The Sound Providers

The list goes on for decades. Hip Hop is not dead, it’s just not on the radio.