T Nation

STASTALEY IS PRIMED FOR 8/11/05

Now taking your questions…

Hi Coach Staley!

I posted this the other day in PT but didn’t realize you were doing an EDT related thread. So here goes again…

If you could, could you please check out my thread on preparing for football (tryouts and season) and let me know what you think, offer any suggestions, etc.

The link is here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=710988

Thank you, you’re input would mean a lot to me.

In faith,
WS

I started weight training about a month ago and I attempted front squats for the first time today. I couldn’t complete all my reps because my upper body and arms are too weak. What would be a good replacement exercise that would work my leg muscles in a similar way as front squats do? Or maybe should I just move down in weights?

Hey Charles, thank you so much for donating your time and knowledge yet again, it is incredibly appreciated.

My question regards a common topic: Squats. For the primary purpose of hypertrophy, obviously coupled with some strength, is there any reason to ever put an exercise ahead of a back barbell squat on a lower body day?

I have done back squats first on my “leg” day for as long as I can remember. If something else should be put first once in a while, what do you recommend?

Whatever works best for you should always or usually go first.

So if you feel that squats give you the best bang for the buck in terms of leg development, there’s your answer…

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Hey Charles, thank you so much for donating your time and knowledge yet again, it is incredibly appreciated.

My question regards a common topic: Squats. For the primary purpose of hypertrophy, obviously coupled with some strength, is there any reason to ever put an exercise ahead of a back barbell squat on a lower body day?

I have done back squats first on my “leg” day for as long as I can remember. If something else should be put first once in a while, what do you recommend?[/quote]

You know, I think you’ve gotta find out what they’ll be looking for and then shoot to deliver that. What will tryouts consiste ot? Find out!

And don’t focus on conditioning to the neglect of your position skills.

Beyond that, I think I like a Westside style template, and make sure your jump and sprint mechanics are dialed in.

If you have additional, more specific questions, please post them…

[quote]Warrior Spirit wrote:
Hi Coach Staley!

I posted this the other day in PT but didn’t realize you were doing an EDT related thread. So here goes again…

If you could, could you please check out my thread on preparing for football (tryouts and season) and let me know what you think, offer any suggestions, etc.

The link is here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=710988

Thank you, you’re input would mean a lot to me.

In faith,
WS[/quote]

I think I’d move to back squats and/or deadlifts. I’d also suggest you get some competent feedback regarding your biomechanics.

[quote]Navers wrote:
I started weight training about a month ago and I attempted front squats for the first time today. I couldn’t complete all my reps because my upper body and arms are too weak. What would be a good replacement exercise that would work my leg muscles in a similar way as front squats do? Or maybe should I just move down in weights?[/quote]

Thanks coach,
I was just hoping to glean some of your wisdom. Thanks for the reply. You know, you’re right. I don’t even know exactly what I’ll be tested on or what they’re looking for. Duh!

I was thinking that as the season approached, I would use a WSB template and incorporate the olympic lifts on DE days (at least some of the time.) Something like below:

Day 1 - ME Lower
Day 2 - Agility / Non-linear Speed
Day 3 - ME Upper
Day 4 - Sprints / Linear Speed
Day 5 - Off)
Day 6 - DE Total Body (O lifts)
Day 7 - Off

I’ll probably need to find a qualified coach to instruct me on form though. I can do a decent clean now, but my snatch is atrocious. (okay that quote could come back to haunt me some day…lol)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

In faith,
WS

I don’t think you have enough time to worry about perfecting your O-lift technique OK? Focus on squatting, the VJ, the 40, cone drills, and position skills. And find out what they’re looking for above all else.

[quote]Warrior Spirit wrote:
Thanks coach,
I was just hoping to glean some of your wisdom. Thanks for the reply. You know, you’re right. I don’t even know exactly what I’ll be tested on or what they’re looking for. Duh!

I was thinking that as the season approached, I would use a WSB template and incorporate the olympic lifts on DE days (at least some of the time.) Something like below:

Day 1 - ME Lower
Day 2 - Agility / Non-linear Speed
Day 3 - ME Upper
Day 4 - Sprints / Linear Speed
Day 5 - Off)
Day 6 - DE Total Body (O lifts)
Day 7 - Off

I’ll probably need to find a qualified coach to instruct me on form though. I can do a decent clean now, but my snatch is atrocious. (okay that quote could come back to haunt me some day…lol)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

In faith,
WS[/quote]

Hi Charles

I asked this question to Chad Waterbury on PT but he never got around to answering it.

In your opinion, does bone size dictate how much muscle on can gain ?

ie. small wrist ==> less musculature on arm

Thanks

I think so, however, here’s the good news…most great bodbuilders are/were ectomorphs…

[quote]marcus_aurelius wrote:
Hi Charles

I asked this question to Chad Waterbury on PT but he never got around to answering it.

In your opinion, does bone size dictate how much muscle on can gain ?

ie. small wrist ==> less musculature on arm

Thanks[/quote]