T Nation

Starve Yourself and Increase Your Life Expectancy

Here is an interesting article I found. It reminds me of an article I read a while back about reversed aging in mice by taking a way and reintroducing telemerase, kind of like the Tela cancer cells that are supposedly immortal.

I guess this poses the question, would you give up food and muscle for a longer life?

No.

But all those extra years are at the end anyway, when you’re all old and wasted away.

Just think of all the granny tail you can chase if your old brittle bones don’t give out.

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

Here is an interesting article I found. It reminds me of an article I read a while back about reversed aging in mice by taking a way and reintroducing telemerase, kind of like the Tela cancer cells that are supposedly immortal.

I guess this poses the question, would you give up food and muscle for a longer life?[/quote]

Pretty sure short periodic fasts do the same thing.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

Here is an interesting article I found. It reminds me of an article I read a while back about reversed aging in mice by taking a way and reintroducing telemerase, kind of like the Tela cancer cells that are supposedly immortal.

I guess this poses the question, would you give up food and muscle for a longer life?[/quote]

Pretty sure short periodic fasts do the same thing.[/quote]

Correct. There was a documentary someone posted on here a month or so ago, where a guy looked into different fasting protocols and found some of them to provide some of the same decrease in certain hormones like IGF-1 as calorie restriction would.

I believe there is also recent evidence showing calorie restriction does not live up to the prolonged life claim. I’d have to double check though.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
http://youtu.be/Pfna7nV7WaM[/quote]

Shit, no wonder…I thought they meant eat fast and be younger so I just scoffed down my burgers, fries and Jack Daniels quickly every time.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
M[/quote]

Shit, no wonder…I thought they meant eat fast and be younger so I just scoffed down my burgers, fries and Jack Daniels quickly every time.[/quote]

thus why punctuation is so important :smiley:

Punching Asians is important?

Thought it said Shave yourself.

Thread Recap:

Punch Asians. Shave yourself.

Got one down, I need to shave myself now.

My Asians keep running away before I can punch them efficiently. Is anyone else having this problem?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
My Asians keep running away before I can punch them efficiently. Is anyone else having this problem?[/quote]

No, but everytime I punch one, I want to punch another just an hour later.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
My Asians keep running away before I can punch them efficiently. Is anyone else having this problem?[/quote]

No, but everytime I punch one, I want to punch another just an hour later.[/quote]

probably b/c they’re high in carbs

Dude this was just brought up in my endocrinology course. apparently theres real scientific data pointing to the benefits of caloric deficit but like you said, what’s the point of living longer if its bullshit nursing home living?

http://junkscience.com/2012/08/30/calorie-restriction-not-the-way-to-increased-longevity-after-all/

I’m sure I read a pretty definitive article a while ago that said that those who live for a very long time are like that genetically and are just a part of human variation. Which is why that most 90+ year olds that are relatively mobile and autonomous attribute relatively erroneous (medically) things to their lifelong good health.

Barring not doing things that will really fuck your body up, there is a limit to how far you can surpass your genetic age limit.

I think Aubrey de Grey is onto something with his approach of “aging is a disease”, and looking at the mechanisms behind it, and trying to find ways to eliminate and reverse them.

He also has an epic beard.

Are these calorie deficit studies aimed at people who are fat/obese?

I wouldn’t take a longer lifespan. It sucks to be old and relying on others and those are just two problems in a sea of them.