Starting WS4SB, Need Some Input

Hi,

I’ve been messing around on this site since late January. I’ve found a lot of good information and cleaned up my diet. I’ve been doing EDT work with dumbbells in my apartment, some crossfit exercises, and jumping rope just to get back in shape. I’ve lost about 6 pounds, feeling pretty good, and am ready to get into the weightroom. I went last Friday and Saturday to practice squatting, deadlifts, and OH presses.

Anyway, I looked over some templates and decided to start WSFSB. I have a couple questions if anybody would be kind enough to answer, or at least give an opinion as educated or uneducated it may be.

First, should I just jump right in and start hard training, or take maybe a week or so with lighter loads working on learning form/full range of motion and getting my body adapted to lifting again. I am still slightly sore from the weekend, but that is to be expected. My main concern is squats and deadlifts, as I’ve never trained deadlifts and haven’t squatted since high school. My mobility is good and I’ve been working on my flexibility so I have no immediate concerns. I figured it might be smart to work up to heavy workouts just to prevent any injuries.

Second, the template doesn’t have OH presses in it. I wanted to work on my OH pressing strength, and wondered if I could throw that in for my max-effort upper body exercise. The workout seems to focus on flat bench work, but I don’t see any harm in it. I’ll balance the heavy OH presses with chest supplementals and still do the heavy bench work some workouts.

Third, was if anybody had any good substitutes for box jumps. I haven’t seen any boxes at the gym, but they have some stairs I figure I could use. Vertical jumps will probably get boring after awhile, so if anybody has any smart ideas I’m all ears.

Fourth, for hip extension and posterior chain work, should I hold a weight across my chest if I do 45-degree hyperextensions.

I think thats all for now. On Speed training days and for conditioners I will do crossfit/EDT style interval work. I’ve been doing these to get back in shape and personally love them. If it gets warm out, I’ll actually go outside and do some of the sprint/agility work.

I’m going tomorrow after work to start this. I thought about doing a log, but with work, recording my diet, cooking, dishes, and laundry I don’t think I will have time. I’ll post before and after pics when I’m done. Anyway, I’m looking forward to starting this and thanks to anybody who responds.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Hi,

I’ve been messing around on this site since late January. I’ve found a lot of good information and cleaned up my diet. I’ve been doing EDT work with dumbbells in my apartment, some crossfit exercises, and jumping rope just to get back in shape. I’ve lost about 6 pounds, feeling pretty good, and am ready to get into the weightroom. I went last Friday and Saturday to practice squatting, deadlifts, and OH presses. Anyway, I looked over some templates and decided to start WSFSB. I have a couple questions if anybody would be kind enough to answer, or at least give an opinion as educated or uneducated it may be.

First, should I just jump right in and start hard training, or take maybe a week or so with lighter loads working on learning form/full range of motion and getting my body adapted to lifting again. I am still slightly sore from the weekend, but that is to be expected. My main concern is squats and deadlifts, as I’ve never trained deadlifts and haven’t squatted since high school. My mobility is good and I’ve been working on my flexibility so I have no immediate concerns. I figured it might be smart to work up to heavy workouts just to prevent any injuries.

Second, the template doesn’t have OH presses in it. I wanted to work on my OH pressing strength, and wondered if I could throw that in for my max-effort upper body exercise. The workout seems to focus on flat bench work, but I don’t see any harm in it. I’ll balance the heavy OH presses with chest supplementals and still do the heavy bench work some workouts.

Third, was if anybody had any good substitutes for box jumps. I haven’t seen any boxes at the gym, but they have some stairs I figure I could use. Vertical jumps will probably get boring after awhile, so if anybody has any smart ideas I’m all ears.

Fourth, for hip extension and posterior chain work, should I hold a weight across my chest if I do 45-degree hyperextensions.

I think thats all for now. On Speed training days and for conditioners I will do crossfit/EDT style interval work. I’ve been doing these to get back in shape and personally love them. If it gets warm out, I’ll actually go outside and do some of the sprint/agility work.

I’m going tomorrow after work to start this. I thought about doing a log, but with work, recording my diet, cooking, dishes, and laundry I don’t think I will have time. I’ll post before and after pics when I’m done. Anyway, I’m looking forward to starting this and thanks to anybody who responds.

[/quote]

Just add overhead pressing, don’t remove anything.